what is web hosting?

I would like to start my own simple web page to advertise my services, but I am confused by all the jargon that's being used. Do I need a Web Host to "host" my web page?

I have many questions regarding this. Is this the appropriate forum for this?

Hi, you seem to be very new at this.

Yes, you need a web host to host your web page. Do you have your own domain?

Hi,

Web Hosting is a service used to store html files, graphics, and other files associated with your web site.

Generally speaking, a Web Host will offer you disk space and bandwidth on a server with a high speed connection to the internet. Bandwidth is the transfer of files to and from the server. Everytime someone goes to www.yourdomain.com, they will download the needed files that will be displayed in your browser.

The most common type of hosting is shared hosting, which is hosting on a server that is also used to host many other sites. All of the web sites on this server share the servers available CPU and RAM.

I would reccommend 2 things:

#1 - Register your domain at a reputable company such as Godaddy.com or NameCheap.com. (I prefer NameCheap.com)

#2 - Most people have found it's best to NOT use web hosting service from a domain registrar, so your next step would be to search for a reputable Web Host. Before choosing your host I would test out their Customer Service by emailing them a few questions about their service. It's always good to find a host that will reply to your questions in a few hours or less.

Please let me know if you have additional questions,
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Yes, you will need a web host to host your page. Since you will be advertising your service, it would be really recommended to buy a domain for your website as well. Some domain registrars might give you some limited hosting capabilities along with the domain. If all you need is to have 1 page on the net, this might be enough.
    Is this the appropriate forum for this?
    It most certainly is.

* Re: what is web hosting?

Originally posted by dc10
    Do I need a Web Host to "host" my web page?
    Best thread in WHT history

When you say "hosting capabilities", do you mean things like storage space and e-mail addresses?

Thanks for your replies. I did register a name.

When you say "hosting capabilities", do you mean things like storage space and e-mail addresses?
    I think what Idc meant is that some domain registrars offers free one page website when you register a domain with them, if that is what you need you dont have to perches hosting from someone else.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Re: what is web hosting?

I would like to start my own simple web page to advertise my services, but I am confused by all the jargon that's being used. Do I need a Web Host to "host" my web page?

I have many questions regarding this. Is this the appropriate forum for this?
    Since you are new to hosting, try some FREE hosts to get a taste of it.
    Of course, FREE hosts may not be very much reliable, but not too bad after all.
    Go to http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com if you need to find a free host.
    Happy searching.
    Chris

Hosting capabilities usually include:

Disk Space
    Bandwidth
    E-Mail Addresses ([email protected])
    Sub-Domains ( anothersite.yourdomain.com )
    and many other features.

The best thing to do is write down a list of everything you want, and then search for a host that offers a package which meets your needs.

*EDIT* - A free 1 page web site from a domain registrar may or may not include email. You would have to check with the registrar where your domain was registered. Not all registrars even include the limited hosting capabilities for free, so you would want to check with them to see if it's even offered.

What he meant by limited, is that their is usually restrictions in place like (only a 1 page site). They also may or may not limit you to some sort of template, instead of having a unique design. Some offers I have seen in the past from registrars give you more of a "Business Card" type 1 page web site.
    Last edited by HostRefugee-Vince; 10-19-2005 at 04:39 AM.
    Need a new Web Host?

Can someone explain to me:
    what is a subweb?
    what is a rootweb?
    what is a "web site directory"?
    what is a "domain-based web site"?

Thanks

Here is a good definition of a subweb
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3473371

A rootweb is the main site, and is the opposite of a subweb. After you read the above article you should have a good understanding of both.

What is a "web site directory"?
    This could be several different things, the first that comes to mind is a web site that serves as a directory much like a phone book. The web site is split off into different categories and each category lists other web sites related to that category.

This could also be the directory that you store your web site files in on your local computer.

What is a "domain-based web site"?
    A domain based web site is something like "yourdomain.com". An example of a non-domain based web site would be something like: http://members.geocities.com/Orbit/13314/index.html (Geocities is a service that provides extremely limited free hosting)

As you can see a domain-based web site is desired much more because it's shorter and can be branded with your company name.
    Need a new Web Host?

Good job HostRefugee-Vince.
    Nice & simple explanation from a newbee piont of view.
    Chris

I started a subscription with a web host and registered my name. I am now very unhappy and disappointed with their (apparently non-existent) service. Is it possible to move my web page to a different host? If so, how long does it take?

Thanks everyone.

I started a subscription with a web host and registered my name. I am now very unhappy and disappointed with their (apparently non-existent) service. Is it possible to move my web page to a different host? If so, how long does it take?

Thanks everyone.
    Did they register your domain under your name or the host itself?
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Thanks everyone.
    Are you thinking of transferring both hosing AND domain name to a different provider? Or just the hosting??

By the way, transferring to a different host doesn't take more that 10 minutes. But transferring your domain to another provider can take some days though.
    Chris

Thanks everyone.
    Did you purchase the domain seperately as instructed by HostRefugee? If so, then yes it should be pretty simple to transfer it over and a lot of hosts will even help you with that.

You should be careful with the hosts you pick...always search them using the Search feature at the top of this forum to see if they have good reviews (look carefully..) Although it's unfortunate, in this industry many hosts offer absolutely horrendous service.

I hope this helps you...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Hi, dc10! I came upon this thread just now.... Sorry to see you are disappointed with your choice of hosting.
    I always tell people they should look around to check the kind of reputation a host has before signing up.

Now, if you're disappointed you can in most cases use the host's money-back guarantee (usually 30 days), to cancel the contract.
    It's trickier with your domain name, if you bought that thru the host (not recommendable). In principle, it is your property in any case, but it may be a hassle to actually get it out of the ex-host's clutches...
    Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Hi DC10,

Sorry to hear about your misfourtune so early in your venture. Your next step is pretty easy. Just choose a new Web Host that you would like to use, sign up, and then change the NameServers at your domain registrar.

You can try to get your money back from the host with the non-existant support like others have stated above.

Before making a final decision on your future host, you can e-mail them and see how quick there response times are. Since you are new to the whole Web Hosting industry, you should find a host with quick support so they can answer questions for you when they come up.

Best of Luck,
    Last edited by the_pm; 10-21-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Originally posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    Hi DC10,

Sorry to hear about your misfourtune so early in your venture. Your next step is pretty easy. Just choose a new Web Host that you would like to use, sign up, and then change the NameServers at your domain registrar.

You can try to get your money back from the host with the non-existant support like others have stated above.

Before making a final decision on your future host, you can e-mail them and see how quick there response times are. Since you are new to the whole Web Hosting industry, you should find a host with quick support so they can answer questions for you when they come up.

Best of Luck,
    I agree with emailing and checking response time.
    If you can't get a fast response when they have potential new clients (more money) you sure won't get it once they have been paid.
    Last edited by the_pm; 10-21-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Hostrefugee-Vince.

Most of these terms are very new to me and some still seem a little abstract. Let me try to reiterate on a couple of items.

So a "subweb" is nothing more than another page connected to your web site, but with a different theme? This hardly seems like it should warrant a special term.

Could the "root web" simply mean what I've seen as the "Index.html" page?

thanks SkyNetHosting.

I'm not sure who my name was registered with. Maybe if I mention the name of the host, you could tell me.

Would I be breaking any rules if I mention the name of my host?

Thanks chris_jon,

After reading HostRefugee-Vince's reference material, I was under the impression that a domain name had to be registered with a special name registry company. But now you make it sound as if that may not be true. I'm confused again.

thanks SkyNetHosting.

I'm not sure who my name was registered with. Maybe if I mention the name of the host, you could tell me.

Would I be breaking any rules if I mention the name of my host?
    You can find your domains ICANN Registrar by doing a whois search at:

http://www.whois.sc.

Under Whois details if your email address is listed under "Administrative Contact" you will have no trouble moving your domain to a new registrar. Keep in mind that some unethical hosts register your domain name under the host name preventing you from moving.

Hi DC10,

Domain Names can be registered at 2 different types of places.

#1 - You can have your domain registered by the company you host with. It is generally advised NOT to go this route unless you are very familiar with the company. Some of the "not so good" companies hold domain names hostage if you want to switch from them.

#2 - You can have a Domain Registrar such as godaddy.com, namecheap.com, registerfly.com or the countless other registration services register your name.

So a "subweb" is nothing more than another page connected to your web site, but with a different theme? This hardly seems like it should warrant a special term.

Could the "root web" simply mean what I've seen as the "Index.html" page?
    It really does not deserve a separate term, and actually had no meaning until Microsoft gave it one. The term goes hand in hand with Microsoft Frontpage (which is Web Design software).

You are correct, it is just a different directory in your Web Site that has a different theme.

The root web is the index.html and could include other pages with the same theme as well.

Heres an example sort of:
    These could all be root webs, with the same theme/design
    http://yourdomain.com/index.html
    http://yourdomain.com/about.html
    http://yourdomain.com/services.html

A subweb could be:
    http://yourdomain.com/billing/index.html

According to microsoft, that would be a subweb if it had a different theme/design.

BTW there is no rule on WHT disallowing you to post who you have hosted with, or choose to host with. So if you would like, go ahead and post the name of your current web host.

Also, If you post your own domain, we can help you find out what company it is registered through. Once you find a new Web Host, you would have to login to your "domain registration" account and change the Name Servers for your domain. Once we find out who registered your domain, I am sure either myself or someone else can direct you on how to do this.
    Need a new Web Host?

I registered through Yahoo! and the name I chose for the site was magellanpcb.com.

I followed SkyNetHosting's advice and did a search at www.whois.sc but the admin address is myprivateregistration.com.

I think I remember choosing some privacy option when I registered. Maybe that's why it doesn't give my e-mail address.

Anyhow, the biggest gripe I have is that I downloaded Yahoo's "Sitebuilder" and proceeded to design my web site. My wife and I spent many hours on it over a period of about two weeks. When I got it just the way I wanted, I tried to upload it and got a message saying that I need to upgrade my service if I wanted to use Sitebuilder. Their other options aren't very good for creating nice web pages. And as you may already know, their customer service doesn't answer my e-mails, and I am unable to post questions on their forums, and their FAQ’s just don't cover what I would like to know.

[B]I registered through Yahoo! and the name I chose for the site was magellanpcb.com.

I followed SkyNetHosting's advice and did a search at www.whois.sc but the admin address is myprivateregistration.com.
    Sorry to say but you are stuck.
    Unless you have the admin email under your contol, you can't even transfer the domain.
    If nothing works out, the best way is to go for a new domain name & use other design tools like Frontpage, Dreamweaver etc.
    Chris

Thank you all. I think I have enough information to conclude that I really should have consulted WHT first.

David