Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445

    All hail the cable modem

    Just got my cable internet service upgraded..... 15Mbps in 2.5Mbps out.... Hooowah!

    God bless you Brighthouse Networks and RoadRunner!

    What's the speed you're getting from your provider?
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,988
    I have road runner and download at like 600 max.....I NEED MORE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,389
    I get 2Mbps down and 256Kbps up. hahaha.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    13,277
    2.5M out?????

    What are you using? Good for you

    Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445
    Originally posted by The Dude
    2.5M out?????

    What are you using? Good for you
    Oh yeah! 200 meg uploads in a little over 10 mins!

    Brings a tear to my eye.... I remember way back in the day suffering for so long with 26,4kb dial up because the lines were too crappy for 56k....

    Now, this... sniff....

    only $60 a month, I love those guys!
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,376
    I also use RoadRunner cable and ran 3 tests at http://www.dslreports.com/stest

    Down / Up
    4673kbps down / 356kbps up
    4453/356
    4017 / 361

  7. #7
    running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 59.82Mb/s
    running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 69.30Mb/s

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Liverpool, England, UK.
    Posts
    2,561

    Re: All hail the cable modem

    Originally posted by netscan
    Just got my cable internet service upgraded..... 15Mbps in 2.5Mbps out....
    Jesus thats high, is it DOCSIS 1, DOCSIS 2 or DAVIC cable?

    I hope it is DOCSIS 2 otherwise your local UBR will be crippled by that upload speed hehe.

    Nice one getting that speed by the way, your lucky, I am still awaiting a 10Mbps upgrade but we will only have 256Kbps upload even then (crappy euroDOCSIS standard)
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

    Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445

    Re: Re: All hail the cable modem

    Originally posted by UK PC Net Matty
    Jesus thats high, is it DOCSIS 1, DOCSIS 2 or DAVIC cable?

    I hope it is DOCSIS 2 otherwise your local UBR will be crippled by that upload speed hehe.

    Nice one getting that speed by the way, your lucky, I am still awaiting a 10Mbps upgrade but we will only have 256Kbps upload even then (crappy euroDOCSIS standard)
    Got no idea on the technical details, when I originally signed up 3 years ago it was 3Mb in 356kbps out, then in Jan they upped it to 5Mbps in 356kbps out (for free to boot).

    Now I get the 15/2.5 for $15 more a month. I would have payed $30 if I they wanted me to, gotta have the speed!
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    602
    9 Mb/s down -- 1 Mb/s up Cox communications

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Liverpool, England, UK.
    Posts
    2,561

    Re: Re: Re: All hail the cable modem

    Originally posted by netscan
    Got no idea on the technical details, when I originally signed up 3 years ago it was 3Mb in 356kbps out, then in Jan they upped it to 5Mbps in 356kbps out (for free to boot).

    Now I get the 15/2.5 for $15 more a month. I would have payed $30 if I they wanted me to, gotta have the speed!
    It sounds like they have upgraded their network to DOCSIS 2 from what you are saying
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

    Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,948
    Dang, nice speeds. Still at 4.8 MB down and 365K up here on RR.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,439
    6.5Mbits/down 1Mbits/up on Videotron cable here.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,448
    *cough* 768/128 DSL

    Welcome to the new dial-up...
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445
    Yeah, I had Verizon's DSL 1.5/128k, started to feel like dial up. When I switched to cable, was about a $10-15 diff. in price, but when you add in the telco fees it evened out so I switched phone service to the cable co. too while I was at it.
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  16. #16
    Nice for road runner @ $60 a month... The onlything close to that is Verizon's FiOS 15/2 for 49$ a month, or FioS business class for 99$ without the restrictions.. If I may ask, what state are you in?
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445
    Originally posted by Oshaka
    Nice for road runner @ $60 a month... The onlything close to that is Verizon's FiOS 15/2 for 49$ a month, or FioS business class for 99$ without the restrictions.. If I may ask, what state are you in?
    Florida.

    If I could get FiOS in my area (could take up to 10 years), I would switch to it in a heartbeat, supposed to be higher quality and speed ($80 for 30/15 from what I've heard) and I'm pretty sure that's why Brighthouse/RR is rolling out faster connections seeing as how Verizon wants to run TV over fiber now too. Competition is friggin great! Hopefully it will drive my bill down some, it's approaching $200/mo now
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023

    Re: All hail the cable modem

    Originally posted by netscan
    Just got my cable internet service upgraded..... 15Mbps in 2.5Mbps out.... Hooowah!

    God bless you Brighthouse Networks and RoadRunner!

    What's the speed you're getting from your provider?
    I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, IM NOT

    netscan


    Doc

    Anyway I like to go slow and easy
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  19. #19
    Originally posted by netscan
    Florida.

    If I could get FiOS in my area (could take up to 10 years), I would switch to it in a heartbeat, supposed to be higher quality and speed ($80 for 30/15 from what I've heard) and I'm pretty sure that's why Brighthouse/RR is rolling out faster connections seeing as how Verizon wants to run TV over fiber now too. Competition is friggin great! Hopefully it will drive my bill down some, it's approaching $200/mo now

    Yes indeed, sadly it is not here yet also.

    Residential:
    Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95
    Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95
    Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023

    Re: All hail the cable modem

    Originally posted by netscan
    Just got my cable internet service upgraded..... 15Mbps in 2.5Mbps out.... Hooowah!

    God bless you Brighthouse Networks and RoadRunner!

    What's the speed you're getting from your provider?
    I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, IM NOT

    netscan


    Doc

    Anyway I like to go slow and easy
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445
    Well, when they started dropping the fiber in Tampa, everytime they stuck a shovel in the ground they broke a water main.... County made them stop after 3 in a week. It could take a looong time.

    And Doc, flame me all you want, but leave the banana outta it
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Eaglehawk, Victoria,Australia
    Posts
    5,023
    Originally posted by netscan
    And Doc, flame me all you want, but leave the banana outta it
    Your ok mate it's just the banana I hate its evil

    sorry about the double post I just wanted to edit the first post but somehow ended up with two posts.

    The fastest I can get is ADSL 15000K/256K 30GIG $89.95
    I am always running out of bandwidth, they throttle it back once you reach maximum.

    Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    445
    You guys and the brits just get robbed blind for broadband, and China, sheesh, 56k is broadband over there
    It's not a party without an evil banana!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,988
    Your download speed : 2073 kbps or 259.2 KB/sec.
    Your upload speed : 32 kbps or 4 KB/sec.

    HMMM

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    9,576
    Originally posted by Carp
    Your download speed : 2073 kbps or 259.2 KB/sec.
    Your upload speed : 32 kbps or 4 KB/sec.

    HMMM
    Getting about the same rubbish myself lately (with a 4Mbit connection). I'm thinking Comcast is going to get a call soon.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,988
    my network is ALL f'ed up and i dont know why :-\

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington
    Posts
    9,576
    farked up how?
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,988
    I can download fast but webpages load extremely slow and it takes forever to connect to chat services such as AIM.

    I havn't a clue what it could be....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •