Credit Card authorization software?

Is out there a type of software which would only validate submitted debit/credit card information such as if the card is valid or not, do AVS and CVV check BUT without actual authorization and capture? Is merchant account required to do such type of requests or it can be done offline somehow?

All your responses are greatly appreciated.
    Amirocms.com

You would need a merchant account to get access to that information. As far as I know - the software would need to do an (pre)authorization.

Originally posted by Corey Bryant
    You would need a merchant account to get access to that information. As far as I know - the software would need to do an (pre)authorization.
    That's correct. You would at the least need a virtual terminal that was connected to an active merchant account in order to perform a pre-auth.

I'm not at home right now where I have the little card I have that lists my merchant account numbers for each credit card type and other info, but I remember there being some authorization phone numbers there I could call. Is this not a way to do AVS checks offline before doing the charge? Or does this leave the auth hold on the card and you don't want that?
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

Right - you can call a number for authorization - but you have a merchant account. And yes - it sounds like he does not want a pre-auth to show on the card. Depending on the issuing bank - it might show the name and it might not.

Re: Credit Card authorization software?

Originally posted by Leksus
    Is out there a type of software which would only validate submitted debit/credit card information such as if the card is valid or not, do AVS and CVV check BUT without actual authorization and capture? Is merchant account required to do such type of requests or it can be done offline somehow?

All your responses are greatly appreciated.
    YOu COULD do an AVS check offline of an actual merchant account, but CVV would require a pre-auth.... which would require a merchant account.

Also, storage of the CVV by anyone is absolutely forbidden by VISA. Even banks and CISP/PCI certified processor are not allowed to do this. The CVV number must be confirmed by the VISA network, then deleted right away. Therefore, even if you could check the CVV offline of an actual pre-auth, you would still have to ask the customer for it again at the time of the auth and transaction.

Case in point on Michael's comment... storage of CVV values was one of the contributing factors in Visa's recent decision to de-list an entire bankcard processing network.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Nobody said anything about storing CVV values. What I'm looking for is a tool that would check if the card is valid or not and security code is matched and would give me sort of response Y or N. That's all.

And yes, I do not want pre-auth to show on the user's card because we say we charge after service is rendered, but customers are freaking out when seeing pre-auth, because they think we have charged them already
    Thanks everybody for your inputs.
    Amirocms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leksus
    Nobody said anything about storing CVV values. What I'm looking for is a tool that would check if the card is valid or not and security code is matched and would give me sort of response Y or N. That's all.

And yes, I do not want pre-auth to show on the user's card because we say we charge after service is rendered, but customers are freaking out when seeing pre-auth, because they think we have charged them already
    Sounds to me as if you really want some kind of fraudscrubbing software that can check the validity of the card without performing a pre-auth. I know of several services that can do this for you.

Please feel free to get in touch about it, and I will be happy to help you however I can.

you can get aithorize.net and do authorize without capture... this way it won't show on the card. ..... need merchant account.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Leksus

The only check you can do on a card without a merchant account is to do a checksum. One of the digits (probably the last digit) is a checksum digit. This is an extremely weak test since the cc number could be entirely made up (except for the checksum digit) and still pass this test.

There is no other check you can do without a connection to a a credit card netowrk such as a payment gateway.

Also, you missed the point about the CVV value. He wasn't saying that YOU wanted to store the value. The CVV value is NOT calculated from the card number, therefore, unless you have a merchant account and a payment gateway the only way you can check that the security code matches is if the software had access to a database of credit card numbers and security codes, which would be a violation of the Visa terms.

The way a crdit card is checked is through a network.

Quote Originally Posted by ITAhmed
    you can get aithorize.net and do authorize without capture... this way it won't show on the card. ..... need merchant account.
    No, unfortunately you are wrong. I do have an Auth.net account and IT DOES show on the card when I DO exactly "authorize WITHOUT CAPTURE".

I now must agree with RoboGnome that there is no way to check the validity of the card without authorization showing on card's online statement. Anyway, it's no big deal. And thanks everybody for participation.
    Amirocms.com

maybe you're looking for something like this.

http://javascript.internet.com/forms...edit-card.html

If you type "credit card validator" into Google, there's tons of them.
    Ivan