Thread: Help me decide

Help me decide

Im currently on an essential VPS with servint, and Im pretty much at 60% cpu and 80% memory usage all the time. It frequently red-lines where there is a surge of traffic, and Im using up all the allocated bandwidth.
    Right now I have 2 options.... upgrade to a signature package, which is $89 or get a low end dedicated machine.... which will have more bw, same ammount of ram, and a less powerful cpu. I think servint uses quad xeons, but you don't get to take full advantage of all of them on a vps... so a single P4 should do the trick, or am I dreaming?

feedback would be appriciated.

I would personally go dedicated. I believe you will see a performance increase even with the single p4.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

There are alot of factors , such as overall usage vs caacity of the VPS server. With that said if you go dedicated you know what you are using , and what is available , that is just an added level of security for your business.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Considering those factors dedicated can be the right move.

The only thing about a vps is that its fully managed. For $89 I can get a low end server... but it will be unmanaged. If I break something or need something installed that I dont know how to install... Im screwed.

There is always the option of either fully managed or pick up an unmanaged server and hire a 3rd party server admin to look after it for you. There are a few companies that could do this for you from less then $30/mo so it's a pretty good low cost option.

just get a low end dedicated and hire a server management company. layeredtech and platinumservermanagement.com if you get cpanel.