Tektonic Up & Down

For many hours, I can't establish a reliable connection to my Tektonic VPS. Mostly, packets gone missing or I got "destination unreachable" ICMPs.

Tektonic was planning to upgrade some servers, but my VPS was listed as "unaffected". Does anyone know what's going on?

We had 1 server affected by a bad network card last night, if you would have contacted support they would have told you this.

I too have been affected and I DID contact support and I DIDN'T receive any such information and only received the reply that my VPS is back up - which it wasn't.

mstacks,

You seem to have a personal vendetta against TekTonic / Unixshell#. ALL of your postings are about bashing the company. In your very first WHT message dated 07-25-2005 you advised everyone to stay away from the company. Yet nearly three months later, you're still a customer?! HYPOCRITE!!!

No, you're probably a competitor who is trying to steal Unixshell#'s customers.

Thank you so much Yikes for your support, I too have noticed the same thing... it seems either people are bored or WHT is filled with many stooges for other hosts.

Originally posted by mstacks
    I too have been affected
    mstacks, can you please provide us with the domain you have hosted with Tektonic? If you don't want to post it in this thread, please use the "Report a post" link for this post, and your message will go to the helpdesk. We like to make sure that comments about hosts, positive and negative, are from people who have personal experience with them.

Thanks!

Lois

I have found a pattern in IPs of two others who always post in tektonic threads. mstacks just happened to post in those same threads.....

Yes, but Umit's initial complaint is real.

Quote Originally Posted by seunosewa
    Yes, but Umit's initial complaint is real.
    Doesn't matter: Sounds like he's a shill if he's still around with 'em after that much trouble "he's experienced" .

To summarize...

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Doesn't matter: Sounds like he's a shill if he's still around with 'em after that much trouble "he's experienced" .
    A long time passed since I've posted this. Here are my experiences and personal thoughts about Tektonic & Unixshell.

• Around summer 2005 (can't remember the exact time), Tektonic and Unixshell networks completely dissappeared. I mean, my vps's, Tektonic and Unixshell web sites, all were completely gone for 8 hours. I panicked, couldn't reach any support mechanism. After 8 hours, they came back. At this time I discovered that Matta, the main responsible person at Tektonic and Unixshell was at WHT.
    • Weeks later, I couldn't reach my server. I tried to reach Tektonic and Unixshell web site and failed. But this failure (Tektonic and Unixshell were reachable at that time) was my local problem, and I missed that. I decided to post to WHT thinking that Unixshell and Tektonic sites were again gone. Sorry for any inconvenience here.
    • I have one server at Tektonic and had two at Unixshell. The one at Tektonic started as a custom server. Later they reduced the price of it to justify with new and improved plans, which is a Good Thing. This one is performing well except the downtimes. Sometimes it is unreachable for hours.
    • Unixshell is an unmanaged service, and it is cheap. Servers perform well if they're up. I had major problems with one server. I had experienced downtimes, which were annoying but solved eventually. A month ago or so I decided to upgrade my VPS. I submitted a ticket, they replied that I just needed to say so. I requested my upgrade. A month passed without a single reply. I started to think that they've forgotten, but a few days ago I got an e-mail stating that my upgrade was complete. I tried to login via ssh, but it was unreachable. I reached the VPS console and saw constantly flowing read errors on the virtual disk! My VPS was completely gone. They've helped me with a dump of virtual disk, which was at a bad state. I restored sites hosted from backups to another site, which took about 8 hours. I applied for cancellation of this VPS.
    • So, Unixshell can be considered OK for its price. However do not expect %99.9 uptimes, rapid responses to tickets, reliable storage etc. Prepare full off-site backups (which must always be the case), and be sure you can restore them in a reasonable time.