Mothers Against Guns sinks to a new low.

http://www.mothersagainstguns.net/vids/MAG%2060.mpg

I found this movie on accident while searching for airsoft guns. This movie really makes a lot of biased statements without facts. Well seeing as guns appear to be against the law in England and since violence seems to be so HIGH in England why not get a group of mothers to ban the one thing causing it, ah thats right, replicas. I really didn't think ignorance was at an all time high like this, good thing these laws aren't enacted here or I might have to turn in my *SIGH* firearms and replicas.

On a side note, do you know any 10 year olds that can actually modify an airsoft gun to fire real bullets?!?! I'd figure that'd be a lot of work not to mention would the body/build of the gun even be able to withstand the explosion? I'd figure it'd blow the slide right off even if the barrel was modified so bullets would pass through.
    Last edited by NationHosts; 10-17-2005 at 11:09 PM.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

what a ridiculous video...
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

What a horrible movie.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

I am just as amazed at this video as you are. Those kids actually looked under 10 years old, in which case I doubt they'd have an airsoft gun, let alone modify to to fire real bullets, and if they were smart enough to modify it to fire real ammo then they also are going to be smart enough to know what it does when shot point blank at a friend's head.

I can two pieces of pipe, a washer, nail, and hammer and make a "gun" does that mean we should outlaw all those items as well?

:igh:: I need to stop before I get into a huge rant.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Wow.

That really is pathetic on the part of Mother's Against Guns.

Replica guns, normally made out of PLASTIC, would take an IMMENSE amount of work to even be able to fire a bullet properly, let alone not melt the chamber and barrel as it fires.

And, as for metal replica guns. Yea, I'm sure every 10 year old in Britain knows how to modify a firearm.

Unbiased claims are what these sorts of groups do best, nothing more.

Oh, but you know, we better stop them there 10 year olds and their war games, don't want to see more of them dead. You guys remember when we were kids, when we'd turn our cap pistols into real ones?

Complete and utter bull****.

The lady is obviously speaking utter nonsense due to the fact her mind isn't even focused on gun safety or replicas but the fact she lost her son and immediately turns to that for the blame. It's no different than a person who lost a relative from say drugs or smoking, they immediately turn and claim the negatives. Guns have usage and what shocks me is the fact she and her hippy group are attacking "replicas" which are by the way now banned in UK from what I understand that cause no damage at all. Sure airsoft guns can be realistic but think of the majority, you have replicas where the slide moves back when you shoot and even a projectile that hits a person but what you don't have is the muzzle flash, the force, and of course the one thing mothers blame guns for is death. These woman are obviously confused, the ammount of money they spent on this propaganda could have been used for mothers against war or something efficient.
    Nationhosts, LLC

What a ridiculous video.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

That video is so stupid.

It appears some of these guns can be easily modified to shoot live rounds, just lookup "Brocock ME38" on google. There is plenty of information online, and plenty of people saying it only takes a hour or so to convert it.

Sure, these people are making a bold statement, but replica guns are stupid. Children first of all shouldn't be playing with guns that look real because guns are not toys, secondly it makes police officers lives a lot more difficult. I say the ban the crap out of these stupid toys... or make them bright day glo colors.

Originally posted by case
    It appears some of these guns can be easily modified to shoot live rounds, just lookup "Brocock ME38" on google. There is plenty of information online, and plenty of people saying it only takes a hour or so to convert it.

Sure, these people are making a bold statement, but replica guns are stupid. Children first of all shouldn't be playing with guns that look real because guns are not toys, secondly it makes police officers lives a lot more difficult. I say the ban the crap out of these stupid toys... or make them bright day glo colors.
    In the US an airsoft gun is required to have a 1/3 of the tip painted orange. I imported mine from hong kong a while back but they didn't appear to paint it so I did it myself mainly so I wouldn't get shot while playing in the woods with my buddies, thats some federal law from what I understand.
    Nationhosts, LLC

Why would you buy an import a toy gun from hong kong?

Originally posted by ub3r
    Why would you buy an import a toy gun from hong kong?
    Theres a few reasons for importing, there are a lot of people who have a dream gun that they cannot get due to restriction in there area/laws or the fact it's too expensive. Many guns are not sold in the US as replicas so the answer is importing. A lot of times when you import you can find many high quality guns that are made of ABS Plastic (similar to metal in appearance) or a stainless steel. Alot of times due to importing you will get the full trademarks of a gun as well and it can be fired or used in military simulation safely whereas if you were to fire a real gun the person probably wouldn't last past 1 game. The problem with this video is it is focusing towards replicas and it makes little sense. Anyways heres information regarding airsoft and the problem that was found over at saveairsoft.org

Question.. What is Airsoft?
    It has come to our attention that very few people, MP's included, are aware of what Airsoft guns are or what they are used for . I will therefore attempt to explain what Airsoft is in the most basic form possible, wish me luck.

History
    Airsoft Guns originated in Japan in the 1980s. Tt the end of WWII it became illegal for a Japanese citizen to own a firearm, much like the laws regarding firearms in the UK today. Airsoft guns were born as a safe and respectable alternative to the real thing for basic target shooting, collecting, training and wargame scenarios.

Basics
    An Airsoft gun is a 1:1 scale replica of a modern day or historical firearm. They are mostly plastic in construction and all fire a 6mm or 8mm plastic BB at very low velocities. Due to the design and construction it is impossible to convert ANY Airsoft gun to fire a real bullet and due to the velocities these products opperate at it would be very difficult to seriously injure someone.

Application
    Airsoft guns are used in many applications as a replacement to real firearms, now severely restricted to UK citizens, here are just some of their uses:

Historical & Modern-day Re-Enactment/Airsoft Games
    Practical Pistol Shooting
    Military Cadet Recruitment and Training
    Target Shooting
    Collecting
    I would like to expand a little on “Airsoft Games” as this is the major use of these products. Airsoft games are easiest described as Paintball-like games that utilise the realistic nature of Airsoft guns to create a very intense, yet safe, military simulation.

These games are controlled and run by professional organisations that have governed themselves for years, thanks in part to a lack of interest shown by the government of the day. Full safety precautions are insisted upon and to my knowledge the entire Airsoft community boasts an impressive safety record with no serious injuries being caused by an Airsoft gun to date.

The appeal of Airsoft games over Paintball and other Wargame alternatives are:

Airsoft is cheaper, with ammunition for the guns costing around 0.002 pence per shot.
    The games provide a realistic military simulation that adds to the experience
    Participants are able to use military surplus clothing and equipment in order to store additional magazines and ammunition
    Airsoft guns fire at a lower power than a paintball gun , however due to the size of the ammunition and other technology called “hopup” they fire at a greater range and are far more accurate than your average paintball marker.
    There are currently estimated to be around 10,000 regular Airsoft players in the UK and around 70 games sites all around the UK.

Problems
    The problems recorded with Airsoft guns have NOT come from regular Airsoft players, the games sites or the retail outlets supplying them. The problem comes from irresponsible market traders who utilise the lack of restriction on these products to make a quick buck.

All stores supplying Airsoft products within the UK self govern themselves in order to impose a strict age limits on the supply of their products, most store owners are professional Airsofters themselves and will be able to support and educate their customers concerning the uses of their Airsoft guns.

The major problem is that young (usually underage) children visit their local market or car-boot sale and purchase a cheap “BB Gun” from a stall holder. There are no age restrictions, the customers are given no warnings or instruction concerning the use of their Airsoft product or the legal implications and restrictions and the Children purchasing, from said irresponsible retailers, have no practical application for such an item. This leads them to take to the streets with, what in their eyes is just a toy.

Solution
    Do NOT ban Airsoft. Instead restrict the sale and import of such items to professional registered retailers. If further restrictions are required the Airsoft community I am sure would be happy to register themselves as being Airsoft gun owners in order to keep tabs on Airsoft in the UK.

In addition Airsoft guns and equipment must be recognised and controlled by the Home Office, Including strict guide lines as to what constitutes an “Airsoft gun” e.g. A product designed to fire a 6mm plastic ball at powers will not exceed the following power regulations

Automatic Airsoft Rifles & Pistols – Limited in power to 1 joule
    Single or bolt action Rifles – Limited in power to 2.5 joules
    Please be aware these are JUST guidelines to inform the general public about Airsoft guns, their use, the problems in controlling their use outside of the organized sport of airsofting, and the workable solutions we think we can achieve in order to aid in the reduction of indiscrimnate use by non-airsofters.

and here is the FAQ

VCR Bill Questions.

What is the VCR Bill?

The Violent Crime Reduction Bill, or VCR Bill is a proposal produced by the Home Office that is supposed to deal with violent crime in the UK. The the vast majority the VCR Bill is a very good idea, dealing with alcohol related violence and the problems caused by the binge drinking culture of British youth.

We at Save Airsoft have a serious problem with section 30 of the bill that deals with what the Home Office class as "Realistic Imitation Firearms" This is anything that looks like a gun to the member of the public. The Home Office plan to ban the Import, Sale and Manufacture of all "Realistic Imitation Firearms" Airsoft falls into this category and the VCR Bill will strangle the sport of Airsoft of new players and new equipment, thus slowly killing us off.

What will be banned?

Nothing. The Ban is on the SALE IMPORT and MANUFACTURE of anything that looks like a real gun, you will not be forced to take the guns you already own to the local police station to have them destroyed. The problem comes when you want to purchase a new Airsoft gun to enjoy your hobby, you will not be able to.

Why Target Airsoft?

The high quality Airsoft products we use in Airsoft games are not the intended target. The problem is the massive influx of cheap poor quality spring powered guns from china, usually being supplied by your local market trader or fish & chip shop to children to make a "fast buck" These guns still look realistic and are falling into the hands of people who want to cause trouble and know nothing of the sport of Airsoft.

Airsoft Questions.

What is Airsoft?

I have written a whole page dedicated to what Airsoft is, click here to find out more about Airsoft.

People say criminals will convert Airsoft guns to fire real bullets, what do you say?

This is a biggest pile of uneducated rubbish I have ever heard! The Home Office & Police have taken Airsoft guns and tested them to see if they can be converted. The findings are always the same. It is impossible to convert an Airsoft gun to fire anything other than the ammunition it was intended for. The plastic construction means it would be easier to manufacture a real gun from scratch than to convert an Airsoft gun.

We do not deny that SOME replica guns such as Co2 and other guns used for pellet shooting can be converted, however the government seem more interested in placing restrictions on harmless Airsoft products, leaving guns that are at least 16 times more powerful available for public use.

Wont the lack of Airsoft guns on the street make policing easier?

Yes it would and the objective of SaveAirsoft is to reduce the number of Airsoft guns on the street while keeping them available to people who use them in a sensible, controlled environment. I would like to point out that the laws are already in place to reduce the number of guns on the street, the only problem is they are never enforced. I am yet to hear of anyone being prosecuted for possession of an Airsoft gun in a public place.

Think of the people who have been killed by guns in the UK, don't you care about them.

Firstly, I deeply sympathize with victims of real gun crime, and my thoughts are with them.. However, how many times do I have to say it? Airsoft guns HAVE NEVER, COULD NEVER and WILL NEVER kill a human being, Maybe if the government actually policed the ban of REAL firearms these unfortunate deaths may have never happened.

Can Airsoft Guns Kill?

No! they fire plastic balls at much low velocities that it would be impossible to kill anything. Again the Home Office has confirmed this. The lowest velocity at which a projectile can kill someone is 1.36 joules, or 383 feet-per-second with an 0.2g projectile, at this power is is possible, however very unlikely that the bruise caused by the projectile could cause a blood clot that might travel to the brain and kill someone. The chances of that happening are very very remote but is could happen :/

The average electrically powered Airsoft gun fires at roughly 290 feet-per-second, well below the limit of lethality.

Why do you want to play with guns?

This is a stupid quest ion.. Why do people feel the need to jump out of airplanes? surely they should be prosecuted because if their parachute fails then they have technically committed suicide which is a crime. Why do people play with a sack of air in a field? (football) Why do people feel the need to drive cars at break-neck speeds around a race track?

Why? Because we enjoy doing it, and that is the only reason anyone ever needs, we don't hurt anyone, we don't threaten anyone, in fact I will bet money that more people are injured every year with tennis rackets than with Airsoft guns. But because Airsoft guns look like a real firearms people and the media go crazy whenever they are misused. DONT persecute the innocent just because of a few idiots.

They look dangerous. Shouldn't we ban them?

I'm sure there is a person in your town that when you see him you say "damn I better not go anywhere near that person, he/she looks dangerous" Maybe you should campaign to ban them from the UK? That's stupid I hear you cry. Well so is banning something because it looks like something else!

In the USA and Italy they use orange painted barrels for Airsoft guns, is this an option?

It certainly is an option, however this is potentially more dangerous than leaving them as they are. Various incidents in America has resulted in a police officers death because criminals painted the end of their real gun orange to fool the police.

In our opinion ALL guns should be treated as real when the police are called. Including when it comes to prosecution. Make an example of the criminals and people will think twice before committing crimes with guns.

Interested Organisations.

What is UKARA?

UKARA stands for the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailer Association, this organisation was setup by a group of dedicated Airsoft retailers who's sole interest is the supply of equipment to the Airsoft sporting industry. They are responsible retailers, they operate a self imposed rule, not supplying guns to under 18s and have the future of Airsoft at heart. They will fight section 30 of the VCR Bill to the bitter End.

Who are the ABA?

The ABA stands for the Association of British Airsofters, this group represents the majority of Airsoft Players and enthusiasts within the UK. giving the Airsofters a single voice to represent them.

What is UKASGB?

The UKASGB stands for the United Kingdom Airsoft Sites Governing Body. This is a collection of professional Airsoft Games sites throughout the UK, they ensure the safe and smooth running of all Games Sites that are members of UKASGB, they help with insurance, safety, policies and advice to both the games sites and the public.

Who are MAG?

MAG stands for Mothers Against Guns, this is a group of people who have been victims of REAL guns crime and are now campaigning for the total ban of anything gun-shaped within the UK

Who Are GCN?

The CGN or Gun Control Network are an organisation that has been setup to campaign for the complete ban of all guns including imitation firearms within the UK.

Who are the VCR Bill Committee?

The VCR Bill committee are a group of MP's who have been chosen to go through the VCR Bill section by section to make sure all entries are in the best interest of the UK's people. The majority of the VCR Bill contains great ideas and I agree with most of them. Section 30 however proposes to persecute innocent hobbyists to grab a headline without reducing crime one bit.
    Nationhosts, LLC

How old were you at the time you bought this import toy gun?

-------------
    Nationhosts, LLC

You still play guns with your friends at the age of 18?

Originally posted by ub3r
    You still play guns with your friends at the age of 18?
    Excuse me but my friends are in the 25-30ish range and they are in the military due to the fact I live near a military base. Don't get the idea we're playing cops and robbers with cap guns and wearing cowboy hats.
    Nationhosts, LLC

Not that it matters but heres a picture of mine, they're exact replicas the only difference is the orange tip which is a federal law in the united states that a replica unless used for studio purpose must have the orange tip on 1/3 of the barrel. It can be removed if you plan to only use it on your property with paint thinner but other than that it looks very similar to the real thing including metal body.

http://img316.imageshack.us/my.php?i...10100534eb.jpg
    Nationhosts, LLC

That is a disturbing video. Not only the graphics but the message.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Ok, just because of that, I'm going to buy an airsoft. Friggin idiots.

I remember the first time I shot a gun. I was about 12 and was with my father doing target practice. It was his 22 we were using and before he ever let me touch his gun equipment, he made sure I knew the dangers of guns and how to correctly handle one. Since then I've always had a respect for firearms. I think my father did the right thing by educating me early on about how to use, and not use, a firearm. Probably more relivant since he had several and I'd seen him use them.