Hybrid View

Couple Of Questions

Background Information:
    I am currently working part-time, and am willing to invest all of my time and money into starting a web hosting business. I have $500 currently and will have about $300 a month to invest in the business. I am willing to learn how to properly adminstrate a web hosting server, and have the resources available to do so. Before I take on such an endeavor I would like to ask you all for some advice.

Questions:
    1. Should I start out with a dedicated server, or a reseller package?

2. I was thinking about developing my own CMS for my hosting website. Would you agree with this idea, and why or why not?

3. Is it hard to transfer clients via WHM/WHMAP to a new server?

4. Would offering a free trial of the web hosting service be worthwhile, or a waste of bandwidth?

5. Are affiliate programs worth the effort?

6. Is the business web hosting market too big?

7. Is the domain TechnoBound.Com appropriate?

8. Is the slogan "When Your Bound For Technology... TechnoBound" good?

9. What service would you recommend to accept credit cards?

10. What service should I use to offer domain registration services?

Thank you very much for your time!
    Last edited by TechnoBound; 10-17-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Re: Couple Of Questions

Hi There!
    I have my opinon on all of your questions

1. If you are a begginer in Hosting Services a Reseller package is the way to go. I would reccomend Host Department or Host Gator ...They are all very affordable and reliable

2. not sure what you mean by "CMS"

3. I personally do not find it hard to transfer. Just make sure you have some time on your hands

4. I think that FREE Trial accounts are a waste of space and bandwith. Offering Annual Discounts like 3 months free if you pay for 1 year is not that bad.

5. You should wait untill your client base grows. To start out with an affiliate program is sort of "Silly" since you may be wasting your time and you would have "no" clue if you will even get affilates because they have no clients or anything to see how they like your services, and see if its worths "Partnering"

6. There are a lot of Web Hosting and Domain Registration services out there. I think this is what it is because of the amount of avaliable reseller hosting services avaliable. "If its open...they will come"

7. I dont find anything wrong with that domain...

8. It looks ok...But I personally would make some type of change to it. I cant put my finger on the "exact" change to make though

9. I would reccomend using PayPal to start. 2CheckOut is good. They do have a small $50 one time setup fee. The only downside to PayPal is the people that sign up HAVE to have a PayPal account to buy. 2CheckOut is more or less.."open" and anyone can pay if they have a 2CheckOut account or not.

10. Most reseller hosting services already have domain registrations in with the reseller "hosting" All of the resellers I listed above have this feature. But if you dont go with one of those...I would reccomend GoDaddy! or e-Nom

Should you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask me personally.

Regards,

9. I would reccomend using PayPal to start. 2CheckOut is good. They do have a small $50 one time setup fee. The only downside to PayPal is the people that sign up HAVE to have a PayPal account to buy. 2CheckOut is more or less.."open" and anyone can pay if they have a 2CheckOut account or not.
    I don't think that's an issue now, PayPal accepts credit cards for first or 2nd time with no signup but the next time you want to use it you have to register to prevent fraud.

Re: Couple Of Questions

Originally posted by rudedogg1989
    2. I was thinking about developing my own CMS for my hosting website. Would you agree with this idea, and why or why not?
    While not vital a CMS can be handy. Especially if you ever have a site redesign in the future.

There are plenty of pre-made CMS's on the market already though, self coding one isnt a must. Have a look on www.hotscripts.com as theres plenty you can fully customize on there.