How do you backup your customers' data?

Let's say you have a dedicated server with only a 120GB hard disk inside, how would you backup your customers' data on the cpanel server?

Do you create a partition and store the backups on it or do you get another hard disk just for the backups?

I'm on my first dedicated server and I'm confused whether to purchase additional hardware just for the backups or leave it on another partition.

You can do it either way. I prefer a seperate disk in case of disk failure. Either way you will want to make sure you have an off-server/off-site backup solution in place (i.e. don't have all of your backups in the same datacenter.)
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

There are many way. I use a separate hard drive to hold my backups. I also use another product to backups to another server (just in case of major failure).

Another good alternative is a backup server account. One I have used is bqbackup.com They have good prices and service. I am sure there are many others, but this is the only company that I have experience with.

Daily backups to secondary disk in the same server. Weekly backups off-server.

Wouldn't ever risk leaving everything on the same server. When we first started out we just had 2 disks (1 for backup) and after a faulty motherboard messed up both disks at once we decided never to risk it again!
    Steve

We backup to a secondary hard disk and off-site the data. Protects us against hardware failure and even the loss of a facility.

Daily backup to secondary hard drive using cPanel, then upload latest backup files to a backup server in another datacenter via FTP twice a month.

The FTP backup script provided by webhostgear.com comes in handy
    Cyber Ultra Network - Reliable Budget Web Hosting Provider Since 2003

We have a 2nd harddrive in each server, and rsync daily offsite to a backup server.
    It's Scott!

I backup to a second drive in the server daily and daily to a remore site using rsync.

rsync -az --delete --force /source/directory [email protected]:/backup/directory

Need to set up keypair authentication to avoind needing to type passwords

It only copies the files that change.
    It uses ssh encryption
    It compresses that data.

And you can backup to a home computer at night ove a DSL connection for your offsite backup. That's what I do.
    Marc Perkel
    /root
    http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    [email protected]

I'm new at running a dedicated server, so excuse this lame question but, "How" Do you create the back up? Is there backup software needed? If so, names of any? If not, what is the command (unix) to use to create a back up?

I have two Harddrives 150gbs each, and I'm running Fedora Core 3 w/ Cpanel/WHM.

Or does anyone know of a tutorial around that can explain how to create a back up for unix , thank you.

Originally posted by gina28
    I'm new at running a dedicated server, so excuse this lame question but, "How" Do you create the back up? Is there backup software needed? If so, names of any? If not, what is the command (unix) to use to create a back up?

I have two Harddrives 150gbs each, and I'm running Fedora Core 3 w/ Cpanel/WHM.

Or does anyone know of a tutorial around that can explain how to create a back up for unix , thank you.
    cpanel's built-in cpbackup for local
    rsync for off-site

Hi there,

Having two hard drives and using the second for backups is pointless IMHO. It protects you if one drive fails, sure. But often I've found if a drive fails it's from a crash and the other fails half the time too. What you want is at least two servers, and use the second drive in Server A to store the backups for Server B and vice versa. I's unlikely that they'll both fail together

Alternatively, and this is what I do as it's less messy, is to get another server in a different data center with RAID-5 or RAID-10 and use that to store all your backups from all your servers, and have it offline except when backups are in progress.

Good luck!

Second drive is never pointless, there's a chance it will be fine. And you can take advantage of local speeds to transfer the data back quickly and efficiently. Or even if a user makes a mistake and wishes for a reversal to a backup made the week before or so, it is much easier locally.

Also, if you are using two drives with raid 1 that's also a nice way to do it, maybe as well as a backup drive and off site.
    It's Scott!

Personally for me right now another server for back ups isn't in the budget, I only have a couple paid hosting customers, and a handful of free ones. But if I ever get big that definitely sounds like a must to get another server for back up's only.

Hmm and yea I don't know much about Raid drives, learning that as well.

I did find the WHM Backup Back-up option.

Thx

Raid 1 for instant copy of master drive or backup of master drive on slave drive?

Originally posted by MTSpace at WHT
    Hi there,

Having two hard drives and using the second for backups is pointless IMHO. It protects you if one drive fails, sure. But often I've found if a drive fails it's from a crash and the other fails half the time too. What you want is at least two servers, and use the second drive in Server A to store the backups for Server B and vice versa. I's unlikely that they'll both fail together
    I worked for a company that did daily on-site (to the 2nd HD), and daily offsite rsync backups. Our main HD failed, and all the DC had to do was grab the secondary HD, and stick it in a new machine to start restoring backups while they tried to diagnose/revive/restore the old HD. That was much quicker than having to instruct them to retrieve backups from another server (on-site or off-site). In fact, they did all of this immediately when the server went down, without us even having to request the restoration process.

Originally posted by MTSpace at WHT
    Hi there,

Alternatively, and this is what I do as it's less messy, is to get another server in a different data center with RAID-5 or RAID-10 and use that to store all your backups from all your servers, and have it offline except when backups are in progress.

Good luck!
    From past experience and what I have heard from others, you are wrong.

I have never had both drives fail. I have rarely ever heard from others that they had both drives fail.