DotNetNuke - An hour of need

Hi all,

I come to you in our hour of need. I work for a hosting company with multiple shared servers. DNN is rapidly becoming a big problem for us. Users wish to install DNN on our servers. We have muddled through in the past and giving them write permissions on their domain and give the Network Service write permissions has done the trick however now (I think due to the new version) this is not working and we are recieving error messages like:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

and

00:00:13.031 - Error: Could not find a part of the path "d:".
    00:00:13.031 - Portal failed to install:

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

"everyone" needs READ ATTRIBUTE (note: not READ) for all drive D, do this from special permissions tab

Originally posted by JodoHost(Stephen)
    "everyone" needs READ ATTRIBUTE (note: not READ) for all drive D, do this from special permissions tab
    Thanks for your reply, what is the difference between the Read attribute and Read? Is this secure? Will users be able to view other users files?

Regards,

Jacob

Jacob,

Please give "NETWORK SERVICE" the following permission.

* Root (and all child folders) – Read Access
    * Root – Write Access (and Modify Access if expecting to create child portals)
    * DesktopModules – Write, Modify Access (if installing 3rd party Private Assemblies)
    * Portals (and all child folders) – Write, Modify Access (to allow File Manager access and Skin/Container access)

We've installed a lot of DotNetNuke 3.1.1 sites for our customers. No problem at all. It should not be be a DNN new version problem.

Originally posted by DatabaseMart
    Jacob,

Please give "NETWORK SERVICE" the following permission.

* Root (and all child folders) – Read Access
    * Root – Write Access (and Modify Access if expecting to create child portals)
    * DesktopModules – Write, Modify Access (if installing 3rd party Private Assemblies)
    * Portals (and all child folders) – Write, Modify Access (to allow File Manager access and Skin/Container access)

We've installed a lot of DotNetNuke 3.1.1 sites for our customers. No problem at all. It should not be be a DNN new version problem.
    Thanks, when you say root, what do you mean? Do you mean the D drive as a whole or root being:

d:\domains\theirdomain.co.uk

Regards,

Jacob

READ ATTRIBUTE is far safer than those settings! And it is all it needs. Read ATTRIBUTE just allows it to read the attributes of a file not the file itself, and that is ALL DNN needs.

Also he is referring to the permissions on the DNN/website folders themselves, not the root drive which some modules throw the error you are giving, whatever you do, DON'T give full read permissions to network service for all of D:\!

Jacob,

Have you removed "Everyone" and "Users" from your root "D:" security tab? If so, you will have some problems http://forums.asp.net/1035105/ShowPost.aspx

"root" is your d:\domains\theirdomain.co.uk\wwwroot folder if you use Helm.
    Last edited by DatabaseMart; 10-17-2005 at 02:14 PM.

Thank you very much all of you for your help. I will discuss this will my colleagues...

Cheers,

Jacob

You can get the security discussion from http://forums.asp.net/861515/ShowPost.aspx

check asp.net forums for the dnn forum, you need to give them custom windows directory permissions, like read, write, web and set root

i have a little tutorial on gd shared hosting accounts

http://www.projectx2.net/gddnn/DNNGD...3/Default.aspx
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support