do domains drop/release at a specific time of day/night?

I am looking at a domain registered at onlinenic.com.

The whois has a [/QUOTE]
    PENDINGDELETE DROP DATE: Oct 18, 2005[QUOTE]

I have a few backorders placed. One at snapnames and one at pool.com and one at godaddy's service.

I am just curious if I can beat it by trying to register it myself...if I knew the time releases took place.

As far as I know, .com and .net are deleted 18:00-20:00 GMT.

Actually I doubt you will be able to register it yourself if there is high demand on the domain name.

Snapnames and Pool have partnership with Registrars and they send hunders of requests through their Partner Registrars to register the specific domains.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

But I haven't seen that Onlinenic.com is partnering with anyone.

I wonder if it matters what order you put in your backorder request on websites where there is not a bidding system....

If you are going to do it yourself start trying to register the name at 2PM Eastern. If it doesn't go thru then try again...and again. WHOIS is time delayed so don't wait for the WHOIS to say it is available.

Originally posted by virginia
    If you are going to do it yourself start trying to register the name at 2PM Eastern. If it doesn't go thru then try again...and again. WHOIS is time delayed so don't wait for the WHOIS to say it is available.
    If the name has multiple services looking for it manually trying to register the name yourself will be futile
    Domain Maven

...and if there are no drop services in the running why pay one high prices to be the only bidder in a fake auction?
    I have 2 nice names that I picked up and was very surprised that a drop service didn't grab them.

Originally posted by virginia
    ...and if there are no drop services in the running why pay one high prices to be the only bidder in a fake auction?
    I have 2 nice names that I picked up and was very surprised that a drop service didn't grab them.
    True....but there's no way to know if a drop service is trying to pick it up.

...2 nice names but I wasn't willing to pay back-order prices for them ($60+). Depends how badly you want or need the name.

you do realize "nice names" is rather subjective.