directadmin.com: domain expired?

Hello everyone,

i'm dreaming or directadmin.com expired and in the auction? Interesting, will they reniew it? (.net is on redemption period)
    :/ Huh
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

Yehh, domain was reniewed
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

And it happend again...

It's over a day now. Why don't they get it renewed for 10 years.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Actually, someone's jumping the gun here:
    Creation date: 06 Oct 2002 18:00:10
    Expiration date: 06 Oct 2007 00:00:00
    Sounds like our friends @ DA need a more reputable registrar, because this is just silly
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Wrong:
    This is most definitely a "registrar issue".
    The domain has not expired yet (it will at midnight tonight, however). In addition, the registrar is required to allow a 30 day waiting period before selling things, or doing anything with it. Of course, whomever they're using has chosen to ignore that.

It's not a matter of "pay your bills", it's more complicated than that. It's more like this is a game that registrars play. They see something like this, and attempt to monetize it.

Without a doubt, it'll most likely be reactivated shortly, just gotta wait for them to do this .

The registrar is Enom, Inc.

Expiration date: 06 Oct 2007 00:00:00
    just note the time 00:00:00.

Its definitely DA's negligence, when you are in a business like that you can't afford to let your domain expire. Its not about rules & policies, its about your name, its about your business.

Will you let it happen to your domain on which your entire business depends?

The registrar is Enom, Inc.
    Just because they SAY it's enom doesn't mean it is. Enom provides accounts to 1000s of individuals to resell in their name. They wouldn't risk their name on something as cheap as that.

Most likely DA will have to wait until after the weekend is over to get this one resolved, though we'll see just how quickly they do. It does look, though like they need to get a better registrar.

Will you let it happen to your domain on which your entire business depends?
    No, but I also login to my namecheap control panel every week or so, because I have some 70+ domains in there, and multiple domains expire monthly. I highly doubt DA has that problem (though they might )

Normally resellers have their name as service provider and in the whois it says:

I have not used Enom, so I am not sure if they give this feature to their resellers to change nameservers automatically on expiry. But I think they don't.

Whoever is the registrar, its your responsibility to renew your domain before expiry.

Moreover I think enom's system must be sending out alert mails many days before the domain expiry date.

So to me it seems pure negligence on the part of DA.

Sorry to be the one to introduce you to time measurement, but Oct 6 00:00:00 was hours ago. It will be Oct 7 00:00:00 in a few hours.

The registrar replaces the DNS servers with their own at the time of expiration. It does not mean its up for sale yet so I dont even know how you some how tried to make that relevant to the thread.

I don't know why you're trying to make this more complicated than it is; its cut and dry. Pay for your domain name, your site is eligible to resolve as you expect it to. done/don

Also, being one of the quoted '1000's' of enom resellers, my registrar information shows my company name on my WHOIS, which makes me lead to believe that a) The reseller DA registered with never updated the info, or b) it really is directly registered with enom

They got it renewed, I can see

updated-date: 2007-10-06 20:05:26.000
    registration-expiration-date: 2008-10-06 22:00:10.000
    Again just for a year, haven't they learned something, they could have easily gone for a 10 year period.

Well it could be their policy...

It does not mean its up for sale yet
    Did I say it did? No. Most registrars show a bit of leniency, knowing that this crap happens. Whomever this is registered through (enom maybe, but I doubt they'd risk their name on something this stupid) has jumped the gun and immediately taken over the domain. That's not right at all, and shows nothing but greed there. Rather than give the customer a bit of time to work through things, they immediately took the domains hostage. That's like immediately cancelling a hosting account, or server, because an individual is a few hours (or a day) late paying the bill. It happens, and a smart businessman would not do something as ridiculous as this. This screams amateur, not enom.

There could be any number of reasons that this hadn't been renewed. Does this mean that you can "automatically" take something over because it's not renewed precisely at midnight, or 1am, or whatever? NO. It is poor customer service, and poor relations to cancel ANYTHING simply because the bill is not paid immediately, irregardless of how many mails were sent out. Relying on email methods to get through is an incorrect way of doing things.

It sounds like you have more of a problem with Enoms policy than anything (Rhetorical? yes) Maybe you should suggest to DA that they, and you, switch to another registrar.

Domain Name: LINUX-TECH.NET
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Name Server: NS1.LINUX-TECH.NET

Godaddy does it too, but there they allow to change them back (without renewal). ResellerClub does the same these are the registrars I have used not sure about others.

Maybe you should suggest to DA that they, and you, switch to another registrar.
    Thank you for proving my point for me:

I don't have a single problem with "enom's" policies at all. You, however just proved that just because the whois SAYS enom doesn't mean it IS enom. I have never, and will never use enom (I don't believe in putting a "ballance" on any registrar when the money is better used in my own account).

Its clear that namecheap is one of the beloved 1000 Enom resellers. They use their own front-end for managing and registering, and MAY have some pull since they're pretty big in regards to controlling what happens at the time of expiration, but on the same token, I wouldn't be surprised if they were susceptible to the same treatment.

What happens when your phone bill doesnt get paid? your phone gets shut off.
    What happens when your cable bill doesnt get paid? your cable gets shut off.

Your qualms with Enom are clear. We get it. Move along now.

BTW as a precaution you should confirm this with NameCheap, do they do this, since backend is from Enom.

Its clear that namecheap is one of the beloved 1000 Enom resellers
    Did I say it wasn't? You proved my point though. DA was (most likely) registered through an enom reseller.

Your qualms with Enom are clear.
    Did I say this (again)? No. You're the one insinuating qualms. You're the one that said "you have issues with enom", when, in fact, I have none. I simply said, and I quote:
    Just because they SAY it's enom doesn't mean it is. Enom provides accounts to 1000s of individuals to resell in their name. They wouldn't risk their name on something as cheap as that.
    and you proved that point right there in your last post.

What happens when your phone bill doesnt get paid? your phone gets shut off.
    What happens when your cable bill doesnt get paid? your cable gets shut off.
    I don't know about you, but MY providers allow a "grace period" for things to be addressed, understanding and knowing full well that stuff happens. Every single company I do business with provides this. They don't shut service off immediately @ midnight if I don't pay. I don't get evicted immediately on the first if my rent's not paid, I have a grace period to pay it, and even THEN if it's not paid, I don't get evicted.

Yes, paying bills on time is important, I agree fully there, and someone dropped the ball big time. However, taking control of the domain immediately (at midnight) is just amateurish, that's all, just amateurish. A PROPER business will allow their client at least a day or two to get things taken care of!

That's why I said as a precaution you should confirm this with NameCheap, do they do this, since backend is from Enom.

Notice that resellers as long as NameCheap usually has a "voice" greater than that of the average customer in Enom.

For Enom, they probably treat a single customer like they're of no importance, but if they continue to agonize resellers, especially large ones like NameCheap, then they might stand a chance of losing a big client.