Unable to have FTP or Directory Access

Here's an interesting problem I'm encountering on my dedicated server. I'm a little new to running my own dedicated without management so perhaps I screwed up somewhere or there are security settings of which I'm unaware.

I've created a directory that I want others to be able to see and download the files, all bmp files. I set the directory to 777 permissions but trying to access the directory alone (no htm file within only bmp) yields a 403 error and unauthorized access. Perhaps this is a permissions issue that is set on the server and overrides the directory permission, I'm guessing.

I set up FTP accounts to access a certain directory. That too didn't work and any account logging in [email protected] and their password just yielded a blank page when logged into ftp://ftp.domain.com using IE. Is there something I'm missing? I thought you could use the ftp client built into IE to login and see the files.

I appreciate the assistance in advance and I've been able to do virtually everything with minimal help. It's fun but there are settings all over whm and apache...

How about some more info on what OS, ftp daemon, etc.... You should be able to use the IE client. Might be the users your creating are logging into their own directory instead of the one you want them to.
    eWebtricity
    Hosting | Web Design | Server Administration
    http://www.ewebtricity.net | [email protected]
    http://www.1and1faq.com 1and1 Customer Support

The answer... a bad .htaccess file. Nuts. When in doubt, always check that first... Thanks though.

I hate htaccess. Anyone else with me?