Bad Experience: LunarPages and Ruby on Rails

For those considering utilizing the Ruby on Rails framework and are considering hosts with such capabilities, go ahead and scratch LunarPages off the list.

I have been with LP over two years and have loved my experience up until this point.

They posted within their support forum that they had set up a test server with Ruby on Rails installed and if you want to utilize RoR, have your account moved to that server. I then wrote technical support asking if they had Ruby on Rails support and if so, to make the necessary account changes to give me this capability. They moved my account the following day.

So I went through the process of having my account moved. Here comes my frustration:

For anyone who has done RoR development, at least on your local machine, you start the Webrick server (within the project directory) from the command-line. Since LunarPages doesn't have telnet or SSH this obviously isn't how I should make my project aware to their Rails server.

LunarPages has yet to give any specifics regarding the project setup process other than the RoR installation is a test in progress. Well I certainly can't test anything without knowing the setup process. I just wish they didn't waste my time with this effort if they're not willing to provide even the bare essentials to get things up and running.

I've been running my RoR project on my local machine for some time, but it's not a permanent solution. My hope were high for LunarPages supporting Ruby on Rails, but I have definitely been disappointed.

I have a couple of developer friends that develop with Rails and are currently hosting on TextDrive.

Has anyone ran into the same issue with Ruby on Rails and LunarPages? Any thoughts regarding TextDrive or any other Rails host?

Textdrive is supposed to be good but can't find many reviews. Of course Site5, DreamHost and a few others I know of support it but I haven't tried them yet as I have been just doing it on a home machine for testing before something real gets built.

I have a couple of developer friends that develop with Rails and are currently hosting on TextDrive.
    What did they have to say about TextDrive? Good?

Site5 seems promising in their support of it, they have some good blog entries on it and I know they are talking about getting SCGI Rails Runner up which would be sweet.

Read about that below:
    http://www.karmiccoding.com/articles...gi-rails-begin
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Re: Bad Experience: LunarPages and Ruby on Rails

Originally posted by aantix
    They posted within their support forum that they had set up a test server with Ruby on Rails installed ...

LunarPages has yet to give any specifics regarding the project setup process other than the RoR installation is a test in progress...
    I fail to see where LunarPages did anything wrong here. They are clearly testing RoR, and have not claimed that it will be fully supported yet. How can you expect it to be in a fully usable state if they're still in the testing stage?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I will have to agree with bqinternet. A testing server will come with problems of all kinds. It was to be expected and you should have taken it into account when you decided to move your account on it. Personally, based on the info presented here, I find it too early to draw any conclusions about Lunarpages and their ability to run Ruby on Rails.

I understand that I was being moved to a test server. In fact, a few production outages and such would have been expected.

My issue is that in order to get my RoR project up and running, a certain amount of server-side knowledge is needed that of which I have to rely upon them for.

Why even move my account if you can't tell me how to get my project up and running? It's not like I have SSH or telnet to experiment around with; unless there's some sort of web interface through CPanel or some other special interface that they haven't informed me about, I'm dead in the water.

Don't move my site, telling me that you have development support, and then when it comes time to for me to try out my project, provide no details on getting things up and running, and when asked about these details take 3 days and finally just respond, "we're testing it". The emails are vague at best. They're wasting my time.

If LunarPages isn't ready for me, then just say so. They're wasting my time.

Originally posted by aantix
    I understand that I was being moved to a test server. In fact, a few production outages and such would have been expected.

My issue is that in order to get my RoR project up and running, a certain amount of server-side knowledge is needed that of which I have to rely upon them for.

Why even move my account if you can't tell me how to get my project up and running? It's not like I have SSH or telnet to experiment around with; unless there's some sort of web interface through CPanel or some other special interface that they haven't informed me about, I'm dead in the water.

Don't move my site, telling me that you have development support, and then when it comes time to for me to try out my project, provide no details on getting things up and running, and when asked about these details take 3 days and finally just respond, "we're testing it". The emails are vague at best. They're wasting my time.

If LunarPages isn't ready for me, then just say so. They're wasting my time.
    There is a chance that they only just launched the test servers and are learning themselves how to go about doing everything. If you requested to be moved to the server then they probably assumed you had the knowledge to get started testing it. They won't be able to provide any support on it if they don't yet know themselves how everything is going to work.

This is what LunarPages wrote:
    If you require Ruby on Rails, we can move your account to a supporting server.
    They know I don't have access to SSH. They know I don't have access to telnet. All of the documentation for RoR shows starting the server in from a command shell. Nothing I can do on my end.

If they themselves don't know how its going to work, that's should be considered research, not testing, and the shouldn't even tell the customer about it. Testing implies some level of functionality.

We actually put up the server to test ruby on rails based on your feedback requests. However, our support does not assist with the coding or implementation of your website. We do not allow SSH on our shared plans which is clearly stated and you were aware of. You may move to a dedicated plan and have shell access, though.

I would suggest posting for assistance with others who may be more familiar with ruby on rails so they can assist you with your coding. I spoke with the Director of Technology who confirmed the application is running correctly and successfully on others' sites. Others are using it without incident.

I would like to note that our system admins have worked extensive hours specifically for you to implement this change on our servers. There may be specific features you are trying to implement that are not suitable for a shared environment.

You should also note that they are "testing" Ruby on Rails, it might not be in stable state until they are finished with their testing.

Kathleen -

This isn't a coding issue. Like I stated before, I have the application up and running locally. I use it every day. I don't need assistance in coding.

Rails is not like a Perl or PHP application. You don't just upload it to a server, point your browser towards the directory, and wa-la, it's up and running. The server has to be made aware of the application. It's not a coding issue, it's a configuration issue.

Can you imagine having someone sign up for a LunarPages account and you didn't provide documentation as to how they should retrieve their email, or the basics of uploading their site? Sure individuals could guess and eventually get it right, but these are definitely things that should be documented by those who configured the server.

I guess it's a wrong assumption but I figured if this was a test server you guys at least went through the process once of creating a project and exposing it through the server? I would assume you would have to do this in order to test it for yourselves. And if so, I just wanted to know the procedures you went through on your end......

This is not a coding issue.

More specifically you should be contacting these other users who have it running on the same server.

First of all, you don't need Webrick to use RoR...thats used mostly for local development where ppl don't necessarily have a server installed.

RoR and users can simply develop locally, upload their framework and make a change to the shebang and it should run. Shouldn't be any major issues involved there. If they want it to run as the webroot (www.domain.com) and not as (www.domain.com/app/public) you should need only to symlink the app/public as their webroot.

Works fine..

example site ==> http://www.talkcss.net
    Last edited by ArtieFishill; 10-17-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks for your help ArtieFishill. I will take a look.

BTW, I edited my post so that it doesn't come off as client fishing expedition, just trying to point out that it can be run just like PHP.