Thumbs down servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

I've been readING this forum for a while to prepare the lunch of my site. Servage has come up several times as a good bargain. Since my site is nothing mission critical, I decided to try them even though over 50% of the comment are negative.

BIG MISTAKE!! TO THE POINT IT BELIEVE THEY SCAMMED ME

1) Before I signed up, I emailed them questions. Everything seemed OK. They usually reply in 2~3 hours, not fast, but OK.

2) So I signed up, paid for 1 year and everything. The site says account is set up in less than 30 min, but it has been over 10 HOURS and no info send to me at all.

3) Emailed them multiple times, no reply at all.

Since they've been around for a while. I'd hope they are not a scamming company, just has extremely bad customer service.

ANYWAY, IF YOU WANT YOUR SANITY, I RECOMMEND ALL FUTURE WEBMASTER SPEND $10 MORE/MONTH AND TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

I am suprised you signed up for a 1 year worth of hosting after you read and understood they might not be good.

My Portfolio: www.matthewsauk.com

it actually says 'average' account setup is 30 minutes(there is a big difference). You may be jumping the gun a bit. Try to relax maybe?

I'm especially curious as to why you think 10 hours is 'extremely bad' when half the reviews you read were negative?
    Try file hosting at Simpload.com

10 hours seems a little long, I mean servers usually are live within that time now a days
    My Portfolio: www.matthewsauk.com

Here's advice to everyone, no matter who your host is or what you heard about them: Do not sign up for an annual plan until you have used their services for some time. That's common sense.

sorry to hear that this has happend to you. try calling them if they have a contact number listed somewhere. also try finding a better provider, the way you are explaining it seems that they wont be meeting your needs. good luck

Originally posted by saukwebsolutions
    10 hours seems a little long, I mean servers usually are live within that time now a days
    Dedicated server orders can take up 2-3 days

The reason I signed up with them despite the negative review is that the review all regarding bandwidth and downtime. Since my site is not that critical I thought it doesn't concern me at much.

And I emailed them before signing up and they replied on time, that's why I signed up. Yes it think 10 hour is EXTREMELY long for account activation since that is mostly done automatically. I have been with several provider, and all of them activate account instantly.

Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

Originally posted by anothernewdude

1) Before I signed up, I emailed them questions. Everything seemed OK. They usually reply in 2~3 hours, not fast, but OK.
    2-3 hours response time is perfectly acceptable. In fact, it's pretty darn good.

2) So I signed up, paid for 1 year and everything. The site says account is set up in less than 30 min, but it has been over 10 HOURS and no info send to me at all.
    I've been with many hosts that say instant setup, but often it takes up to 1 day depending on the time of day/night you order, their company hours, the specifics of what you ordered, etc.

Also as mentioned, it's not usually a good move to prepay a year contract with no experience with a company or their services.

ANYWAY, IF YOU WANT YOUR SANITY, I RECOMMEND ALL FUTURE WEBMASTER SPEND $10 MORE/MONTH AND TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM.
    I think your sanity might have been stressed a bit before any of this happened. You signed up earlier today and you are already posting a thread about their "terrible" response time, questioning if they are a "scam", and screaming like a major offense has been committed.

Honestly, I wouldn't want you as a customer if I was a hosting company. I think this thread says more about you than them. You need to calm down and give them a chance. It's Sunday.

Good luck to you though, I hope it works out.
    Last edited by Gen-T; 10-17-2005 at 01:05 AM.

These types of threads are getting out of hand.

If it isn't mission critical, what is the problem with 10 hours setup? You signed up on a weekend, give them some time before jumping the gun and calling them a scam for absolutely no reason.

Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

Originally posted by Gen-T
    [B]2-3 hours response time is perfectly acceptable. In fact, it's pretty darn good.
    Many hosts support instant message, and many replies within 2~3 hours. My questions were all pre-sales questions, nothing technical, I don't think 2~3 is all that good, just average.

I think your sanity might have been stressed a bit before any of this happened. You signed up earlier today and you are already posting a thread about their "terrible" response time, questioning if they are a "scam", and yelling like a major offense has been committed.

No offense but I wouldn't want you as a customer if I was a hosting company.

You need to calm down brother. Good luck to you!
    If it says it takes 1~2 days to set up an account, then fine, I'll should plan for that 1~2 days. But if it says 30min right on you frontpage, and you ignore all your customer's emails, it is a totally different story, and it is call BAD BUSINESS ETHNIC. I don't see the reason they could answer my pre-sales questions in 2~3 hours, and can't come up with any reply in 10 hours once I paid the money.

What people are trying to say to you are overreacting to an already bad situation. I think everyone agrees that it is bad when a 30 min setup time is advertised and it has been 10 hrs.

Possibly they are experiencing downtime on their mail servers, or databases. You said you read about them having downtime. This would prevent them from processing your order.

I would suggest you wait it out, see what they say. There is nothing we can do to fix the situation, and calling them scammers b4 u have gotten a response does not help.

I sympathize with your situation, but please have a little patience before you sling the mud!
    Try file hosting at Simpload.com

Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

What's the exact url of the host you're speaking of? You mentioned "Savage," but I don't know if that's a .com, .net or what..

If it says it takes 1~2 days to set up an account, then fine, I'll should plan for that 1~2 days. But if it says 30min right on you frontpage, and you ignore all your customer's emails, it is a totally different story..[/B]
    I will agree with you if you can supply the above detail. Also, if you stated that you saw there were 50/50 results for this host, why pay for a year? I realize it's too late to change this, but in the future, go month to month.

Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

But if it says 30min right on you frontpage
    It says "Average setup time is just 30 minutes", that is not the same as "every account setup within 30 minutes", there is a huge difference. You are complaining about something that you think that phrase means when the facts say otherwise.

it's servage i believe, jspired.

this entire thread is jumping the gun. let this be a lesson to you never to prepay for a year when you have no idea what a service is like. if a week has gone by and you still don't have hosting or a refund, then we'll be willing to listen to your complaints.

Re: Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

Originally posted by JSpired
    What's the exact url of the host you're speaking of? You mentioned "Savage," but I don't know if that's a .com, .net or what..

I will agree with you if you can supply the above detail. Also, if you stated that you saw there were 50/50 results for this host, why pay for a year? I realize it's too late to change this, but in the future, go month to month.
    servage dot net. Doesn't allow me to post URL. No I don't think it is downtime, they server is up alright. Yes, you are right, as people stated, 10 hour is not a big deal, but I have a strong feeling it is gonna be a lot longer than that. I don't know about you people, but when I saw an ad. that says 30min, I took it for granted I could work on my site during the weekend.

It was a mistake that I signed up for a year. I don't know what took over me when I saw they have set up fee for the shorter terms I just chose a year.

Now they have a 5-day money back, I just hope they don't delay my cancel request over 5 days and turn around and tell me it has passed 5 days.

Re: Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

Originally posted by FLH-Wullie
    It says "Average setup time is just 30 minutes", that is not the same as "every account setup within 30 minutes", there is a huge difference. You are complaining about something that you think that phrase means when the facts say otherwise.
    Do they have fact to back up the "average"? It will takes a lot of 1-min setup times to offset an 11 hour--and I suspect its gonna be a lot longer--set up time. In fact it needs something like a 500:1 ratios.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    it's servage i believe, jspired.
    Thanks, just noted the error in my original post.

To the original poster: Give it a day. It's a weekend and many use the word "average." Not fair, I know..and certainly not what you were expecting, I understand. Give them a chance to make good here and do let us know what happens!

On a side note, 330 gigabytes of traffic for less than $8/mo. is pure and simple overselling. Never pay yearly for this again!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

Do they have fact to back up the "average"? It will takes a lot of 1-min setup times to offset an 11 hour--and I suspect its gonna be a lot longer--set up time. In fact it needs something like a 500:1 ratios.
    Your figures are actually totally off.

Take the following example:

30 people signup. 29 people are setup within 8 minutes, while 1 signup takes 11 hours. The average time is under 30 minutes for those signups.

Averages mean nothing other than that, never ever take it to mean you can count on those numbers because you could be the exception.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

Your figures are actually totally off.

Take the following example:

30 people signup. 29 people are setup within 8 minutes, while 1 signup takes 11 hours. The average time is under 30 minutes for those signups.

Averages mean nothing other than that, never ever take it to mean you can count on those numbers because you could be the exception.
    OK, my calculation might be off, but my point is if you drive a race car and you made 10 minute laps the first 9 lap and then you look an hour for the last lap your average is not even close to 11 minute. And it certainly takes a lot of under 30 min (their claim) setups to make up for that 11 hour one. But the thing is, I don't even think it is gonna be 11 hour, it is gonna be a lot longer. We should use common sense here. If I see an ad that says 30min, I think 30min. Maybe an hour, but should be close. So you are saying I misled my ownself since I should not be satisfied with just the mean but should ask for the standard deviation as well? Who would do that?

And the part that confuses me is that I exchanged several emails with them before the purchase and they replied in 2 hour or so, which gave me confidence despite the 50/50 reviews. But right after I paid the $$, they now ignores all my emails. What gives?
    Last edited by anothernewdude; 10-17-2005 at 02:35 AM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: servage has TERRIBLE response time or a scam?

OK, my calculation might be off, but my point is if you drive a race car and you made 10 minute laps the first 9 lap and then you look an hour for the last lap your average is not even close to 11 minute.
    Which would make sense if they said that they aimed to setup every account within 30 minutes, but they don't. They list the average and nothing else, you can't just make your own version of what average means because mathematically and legally if their average is below 30 minutes then they can claim that.

But the thing is, I don't even think it is gonna be 11 hour, it is gonna be a lot longer.
    You will never know for sure how long it will take until you receive the details.

We should use common sense here. If I see an ad that says 30min, I think 30min. Maybe an hour, but should be close. So you are saying because of my negligence because before I sign up I should not all ask for the mean but also the standard deviation? Who would do that?
    As I said above, the average is below 30 minutes. It doesn't say every account will be setup within 30 minutes and if the average is 30 minutes then in most cases you can be sure there will be exceptions to that rule.

To give you a real example here. We did a trial run of instant setup a short while back and every account was instantly setup during the week however at the weekends it was manual activation. We could have easily advertised 5 minutes average setup and we would not have been lying, however in reailty it would have taken longer at the weekend. Treat averages exactly as they are and do not rely on the figures unless they are stated as guaranteed.

And the part that confuses me is that I exchanged several emails with them before the purchase and they replied in 2 hour or so, which gave me confidence despite the 50/50 reviews. But right after I paid the $$, they now ignores all my emails. What gives?
    I can't comment on this, however remember it is the weekend and also that there could be any number of factors that you are not aware of. For all you know they could have servers down and trying to get them back online. I know for sure when we have a server down then that is the first priority over everything else.

These types of threads are getting out of hand.

If it isn't mission critical, what is the problem with 10 hours setup? You signed up on a weekend, give them some time before jumping the gun and calling them a scam for absolutely no reason.
    Finally, someone who thinks like me..lol.

I decided to try them even though over 50% of the comment are negative
    If you knew this you really have no reason to be here gripping then do you? LOL.

It's easy to say average setup time of 30mins or less if most of your signups happen during the day when the staff is there to process them quickly. So you have the majority being set up in like 5-10 mins and a handful that come in at night or weekends that take up to 24 hours. Well, if you really average it out, I bet it does come out to be 30mins or less...key word is AVERAGE.

Since I work with stats all day, I know how easy it is to put things in terms that look great but in reality are not so great..lol, though 24 set up for a non-critical acct is not really horrible.

Hello ’Anothernewdude’,

I’m very sorry to hear that you have not yet received your welcome email. I have just checked in our system and there have not been any delays in setting up new accounts.

Could you please provide me with some information regarding your order so I can look it up in our system for you. Good information would be the selected payment method (creditcard, PayPal, bank transfer) and the domain you signed up with.

Also, just to be sure, try looking in your “spam” folder if you got one – maybe the welcome mail was filtered by a spam filter?

Anyway please provide some information and I will be happy to help you out
    Steffan,
    Servage.net | Affordable Clustered Hosting

anothernewdude,

I don't want to offend you or anything - but have you checked your spam filter box, just in case their welcome email and subsequent replies to you were plopped in there?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I think the problem here is that he forgot to check is spam box