New here and need some advice

Thanks for reading, I have allot of html experience but have not had a up & running website in a few years. I built severally with "WebTV" using third party programs (like...cooltext.com )off the Net. They were Music related sites and you can still find them. I am now on my third PC since 2000. Since then I have built business sites for friends at a discount of course but used a free host. I think it was 3 years ago I finished the last site so I am pretty rusty more than likely on my html but still enjoy writing it!

Now certain circumstances has given me an idea for a new more professional WebSite. I hope I have not jumped the gun here. I have paid for a domain name for two years and hosting plan for 14 months trough Godaddy. I started with the basic host which I will upgrade when necessary. I was hoping once the Hosting Plan was paid for I could go to a page and start writing my HTML and point my Domain Name to it. So far I have not found a starter Page. Just adds wanting me to buy "WebSite Tonight".

My first Question for you experts is ...... Is a Hosting Plan designed to do this for you or am just paying for their bandwidth? At one time I had a great Host that was Free for awhile were you had had a great page to write html, room to store pictures and cant remember the name but finally went PAY!! I was hoping GoDaddy would be similar but allot time has gone by since then. I am afraid I may have wasted some money on a host ... I have had it 10 days and still no work done by me!!

I would have given $40 to find this Forum before I bought anything .... my total investment w/godaddy is $53.35 as of Now. I can live with that I guess but I hear too many good things about them and maybe you folks can help me out. Thanks a Million !!!

With webhosting, you can either publish your custom websites, or use an application (such as SiteBuilder, phpNuke, etc.) to create an easy, updateable template for you. IMO Godaddy isn't that great of a host, so I'm sorry for your investment with them.

The hosting plan is what is allowing you to put your website on the internet.

You probably could have found a much better host than Godaddy. Don't get me wrong, they are great when it comes to domain names, but they charge a lot for very little. Also, a lot of hosts will offer you far superior support.

But to the question at hand, you can design custom sites or build them with site builders. Uploading is accomplished through FTP, atleast that is the most efficient way.

Getting the domain to point to the server, you will need to go into your account and change the nameservers, but considering godaddy is your host and domain provider, they probably have done this for you, but you should find out just the same. They should also provide you with FTP information to upload your content.

Hope this helps.
    Goodydomains.com support
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.

Thanks for the quick replies ..... Godaddy has not done anything for me so far except send a couple emails and don't even have a record of my transactions. They are investigating as of now. ha-ha I am going "Wow, what did I get myself into !!". The one thing I have already learned in here is pay monthly until satisfied. I am open for any suggestions on another Host if you are up to it. I will continue reading in here see what else I can learn

One option for you is to use the "Find a Host" feature in the upper right hand corner of the site. That should help you find everything youre looking for.
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

Another thing when you finalize your hosting is that you should search around and read some of the reviews that the members have given on the specific host.

Regards
    Icene Inc. Serving Customers since 2005 with a 99.9% Uptime Promise
    24/7/365 Live Chat & Ticket Support We accept Credit Cards, PayPal & Other Payment methods
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Business cPanel Hosting with Fantastico 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Hi tubeamp, and welcome to the Forum.

I remember my WebTV days, but they were about 3 years ago as well. Had a free Viewer which I don't remember the name of now, but do remember it got bought up by Microsoft and then it didn't work too well.

Although it's too late to save you money on your Hosting, and you can definitely do better than Godaddy for a Host, I can suggest an excellent and free HML Editor: Mozilla. You can get some Addons for Firefox that will do the same thing, but with a current version of Mozilla you'll find everything already built-in; File > New > Composer Window, is what to look for.

Has the advantage of creating fairly decent HTML code and provides WYSIWYG mode along with regular HTML mode. The drawback is the built-in FTP program which just crappy for some reason so use your own FTP program as you normally would.

Long as Godaddy gives you good uptime and presuming you've got enough Web space and Data transfer limits to last you for awhile, a good (and free) HTML Editor will help you to get some value out of the money you've already paid for Hosting.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Hey, welcome to the community

I agree with the other guys here... I wouldn't use GoDaddy for web hosting, domains however, they're quite decent! Can't complain -- but then I'm not that "picky" either.

There are a lot of hosts out there that have web site builders included that make it easy to start up a web site. Some charge, some are free.

I would start by searching on Google "web hosting" or "top web hosting"

Best of luck!

I can suggest an excellent and free HML Editor: Mozilla.
    NVU (based on Mozilla) is my choice.

hi tube amp
    welcome to WHT
    I would certainly go with what other guys said earlier.godaddy are certainly good for buying domains but with hosting i surely doubt.you should have tried searching on the web and there are alot good hostings companies out there would be happy to offer you cheap and relyable packages.

always try to find out about the hosting companies before you start to join them

good luck for your website