Need an advise from server load

I'm going to order an Celeron 1.8 with 512MB RAM

Anyone here has the same server? Please let me know if you have a problem with server load when there are more than 500 accounts hosted?

If there is, what kind of server should I get in order not to overload my server.

Thanks

Good luck even getting 100 clients on that thing.

Frankly, the speed is pretty slow, and you'll need atleast a 1024mb of RAM (minimum). Just to get 100 on that thing.

If you're wanting 500, you need to start looking at Dual Xeons.

I forgot to tell

Each domain only has 100 to 300MB

Databases are very limited for each domain

Traffic limitation also

How about that? Please advice!!!

Even with those specs there is no telling what kind of load you are going to have at what amount of users. Many different factors come into play. 500 on that server, even with those specs, is pretty high.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

It is really hard to tell, most clients will not use all the space but if every single one used all you would not be able to host many. In generally your best bet is just to watch the server and see what it can handle. Overall that server is pretty slow and low ram.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Go for at least a high end P4 and AMD processor. If it were me I would probably get one of these and upgrade to 2048MB RAM and add another HD on.

Good luck,

Unless you use a light-weight HTTP daemon (instead of Apache) and not use PHP, it will be hard to get as many clients as you want onto it. Even then, I would have my doubts.
    e-Tech-Solution.com: Shared Windows 2003 Hosting and Cross-platform Web Development

I'd recommend a low end P4 with 512mb Ram and then upgrading to 1gb Ram when you see the need for it.

Cheers.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Databases are very limited for each domain
    Each domain you want to host on this box has a database(s)? Let me guess, a PHP front end to access these databases?

You could be in big trouble with 50 sites let alone 500...

Like most other people said here you are entering into a false economy. If you do go for something this low spec make sure that the provider can provide you hardware upgrades as needed

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

thanks guys for your comments

I'm going to offer free hosting to get more customers, I'll earn by selling domain name. So if they want to have free hosting, they have to purchase the domain name ~ $15

so I will put those accounts on a low end server and i will make sure those accounts are not business ones, only personal websites.

Good luck with that singhost

If you can pull it off, kudos to you! I don't know which company you are going for, but LayeredTech offers cheap servers that might be able to fit what you need.

Thanks,

I love how people are always like i wouldnt go celeronw ith out a gig of ram etc.. What happened about a year ago when thats what most hosts were using? I have seen people with 500 domains on a celeron. I have seen people with 6000 domains on a p4 with just a gig of ram....
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by singhost
    thanks guys for your comments

I'm going to offer free hosting to get more customers, I'll earn by selling domain name. So if they want to have free hosting, they have to purchase the domain name ~ $15

so I will put those accounts on a low end server and i will make sure those accounts are not business ones, only personal websites.

Are you going to require them to buy a domain?
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

yes, of course. They have to buy/transfer domains, if not they have to pay a low fee. Has anyone here done the same stretagy before?

Originally posted by singhost
    yes, of course. They have to buy/transfer domains, if not they have to pay a low fee. Has anyone here done the same stretagy before?
    Better than a totally free service that will attract plenty of abusers.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

I have not heard of it being done, but I don't think you'll have too much luck with it (not trying to be a downer or tell you not to do it, by all means if you have faith in it give it a try). Usually people that go for free hosting don't have any money or any means of purchasing hosting online and instead put up with ads
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

it's just a kinda promotion to attract users that need personal websites.

I follow this well-known website
    http://www.doteasy.com/

Originally posted by Steven
    I love how people are always like i wouldnt go celeronw ith out a gig of ram etc.. What happened about a year ago when thats what most hosts were using? I have seen people with 500 domains on a celeron. I have seen people with 6000 domains on a p4 with just a gig of ram....
    Did i say it cant be done on a celeron?
    Would you do your webhosting on a Celeron 1.8 with 512MB RAM?

If so, give me a buzz and ill lend you a few $dollars$ for an upgrade Steve lol

The point Steve was making that everyone here neglects is that if the client base is using low resources it can be done. I know hosts who went all out for the Dual Xeons with the 2GB RAM and SCSI drives but never even come to using 20% of the server full load with over 1000 domains on it.

It comes down to the business plan, whether the person is willing to ugprade if need be, and what kind of allowances they will give with each plan.

The question though was "Could the OP Host 500 Domains on a Celeron 1.8 with 512MB Ram."

The answer would be that it depends on what limits and restrictions are put on the clients, what resource monitoring is done, TOS/AUP Guidelines, etc....

For basic HTML sites, the occasional forum/php site and all low traffic sites yes it can be done without a doubt. In fact more than that.

But you have to watch for heavy resource users and make sure the TOS/AUP has something to handle those situations and make sure that you monitor the system regularly.