Thread: Teeth

Unhappy Teeth

Ok one thing that I really hate about my self is my teeth. So I am wanting to get most of my teeth replaced or something along that lines. I want to have nice straight even teeth. So I am wondering what would I be looking at to pay for this? Who would I speak to about this?

Why do you want them replaced? What happened to them? If you dont mind me asking.

Replaced is alot more expensive then "moved"

Replaced is a little drastic don't you think? Just get a brace stuck on to move them around. And you would speak to a dentist who would refer to to an orthodontist.
    Steve

Re: Teeth

Originally posted by Torith
    Ok one thing that I really hate about my self is my teeth. So I am wanting to get most of my teeth replaced or something along that lines. I want to have nice straight even teeth. So I am wondering what would I be looking at to pay for this? Who would I speak to about this?
    I'd get braces. They may not be the most pleasnt thing to have, but they seem to have done a good job on all my friends who have had them.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

I've had braces.

Pain.
    Don't look to hot.
    Had them on for 2+ Years.
    Forget kissing.
    Hard to brush anything.

Just some thoughts.

Well that is the thing all my teeth are not even. Some are sharp edged and others are shorter. I just want even straight teeth. Braces would help get them straight but would not solve the problem of them even.

I will also add there are about half of the teeth that are good they might need to get shaved down or what ever it is called they do. Though on one side it is horrible I am thinking maybe the fake these they put in or something like that.

*edit*

More then half are ok. I would say about 5 to 10 teeth at max would need to be fixed.

If possible try to keep your original teeth.

Getting teeth replaced can be very expensive. Actually, all dental and medical work is expensive. It sucks.

Hey anyone ever use Invisalign? Yeah it is high priced but I hear many good stories about them.

One advantage of having lousy teeth - and being self-concious about them (like I am about mine) is that it promotes the gentle art of keeping one’s mouth firmly shut and thus enables one to actually listen to your customer

No, I had braces, and I said "cant I get Invisalign?" They said no, it wouldn't do major help.

All those are, are retainers that they make for you and they slowly fix your teeth.

Right now I'm wearing a retainer at night, because I dont have braces anymore, and it has to keep my teeth in the correct position otherwise they might go back to where I started.

That is another thing I only need like braces for only 4 teeth. 1 is kinda bad not real bad yet (but getting to the point it is), one is getting a space and the others are starting. Would I really need major braces for the 4 teeth?

Well,

There are other "metal things" (for the lack of a better word)

That I had.

When you get braces, it's not just for 4 teeth, it's for everything.

The other metal thing I had, is, it had two metal bands around my back teeth, and one wire inside all my teeth that pushed them forward so they didn't "crush in" - then they can bend it forward to push the teeth out if needed etc.

I have no idea what your teeth look like though.

Hmmm I will just talk to my family dentist tomorrow to see what he thinks would be best for me. I just want to have nice teeth .

I luckily have nice teeth except I am missing one in the back. It started having problems and even though I asked my parents over and over to take me to the dentist, they never did. When I became an adult I decided to go on my own but by then it was too late to save it.

Originally posted by Mark L
    I've had braces.

Pain.
    Don't look to hot.
    Had them on for 2+ Years.
    Forget kissing.
    Hard to brush anything.

Just some thoughts.
    I had braces for 4 yrs, just had them off like three years ago, right in time for prom, phew. It's not that painful, just hard to eat at first. I'd defnitely agree with the brushing though, that was a real pain in the *** for 48 months. Don't look hot, it's not that bad really. I'd like to disagree with kissing though, I didn't have problems kissing...

But as a warning, orthodontists aren't cheap.

Yes, talk to a good dentist. They can do wonders these days. You can get them evened out, whitened and capped fairly easily now. But the others are right. My dentist has a picture in his office of a nice new boat that I KNOW my family paid for!!

I've been lucky. Teeth are good. Never needed glasses. Health very good. Not going bald.

Although sometimes I think my handsomeness is a curse. It's no fun walking down the street, only to notice a pack of wild feminitas hot on my trail.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

You only get one set of enamel. Keep, use, and take care of them wisely. Fake teeth don't do justice to real teeth. If at all possible, keep your teeth and just get braces. I get mine off on Tuesday, and I'm really looking forward to it, as I've been wearing them for three years next Saturday (because I didn't do everything that was required by the orthodontists ).

Beware though, having nice teeth will cost you. My braces were over $4,000. Dental work is very expensive, as you may or may not know. Root canals are like $2,000 for an hour or two of work (or even less, sometimes) -- same with crowns.

Good luck with your dilemma. I'd advise going to your dentist and asking him what he thinks. If he's at all competent, he'll be able to give you a course (or at least a recommendation to an orthodontist or periodontist or oral surgeon, etc.) for "fixing" your teeth. Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't already suggested something, considering how concerned you seem about your teeth. Is he a good dentist?

Originally posted by fortress
    I had braces for 4 yrs, just had them off like three years ago, right in time for prom, phew. It's not that painful, just hard to eat at first. I'd defnitely agree with the brushing though, that was a real pain in the *** for 48 months. Don't look hot, it's not that bad really. I'd like to disagree with kissing though, I didn't have problems kissing...

But as a warning, orthodontists aren't cheap.
    Ya, the pain is probably the worst when you start, it cut my gums a few times. Also when the ajust the wires then it hurts for a day or two.

Well, not forget kissing, it's just a tad more difficult IMO.

When you get them off your teeth feel like they are really, really smooth.

See I do not really want to have them on for a couple of years. Also yes my dentist is good .

Oh, you would have them on for more than a year and a half - that's what I've seen.

I mean you'd be paying x,xxx minimal.

See I do not really want to have them on for a couple of years. Also yes my dentist is good .
    You'll be suprised how fast time passes by. Wouldn't you rather wear braces for 2 years and then have a nice expensive smile ? or would you rather just keep waiting for time to pass by and your teeth getting worse?

Regardless if you have four or ten bad teeth you will require braces to correct the placement of your teeth. Also, you will have to find out if you have a mild/severe Overbite/Underbite. Whether or not your teeth are crowded and if this is the case you may even have to extract some teeth to make room for the other teeth to straighten.

The Orthodontists don't only straighten your teeth, however, they correct your bite and the placement of your teeth. They try to perfect everything. When you bite down your teeth/jaw are supposed to meet evenly.

Even if you wanted to get Dental Implants or Veneers you would have to have some sort of minor corrections made to your teeth.

I would go in for a consultation and see what they quote you. You can also make monthly payments. They will shave your teeth for you to make them all even also. I don't know, if I were you, I would go.

Do you smile or laugh freely with your friends or when in public? if not, once you start you will feel a lot better about yourself.

Give it some thought. You may not want to wear braces for 2 years because of the way your teeth will look however, you currently have bad teeth anyways. So instead of hesitating and being afraid of peoples opinions take action for yourself. By the way, how old are you? the sooner you start the better for you.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Beware though, having nice teeth will cost you. My braces were over $4,000. Dental work is very expensive, as you may or may not know. Root canals are like $2,000 for an hour or two of work (or even less, sometimes) -- same with crowns.
    Your getting highly ripped off SniperDevil

I have just had two root canals and one crown done on my two front right top teeth as I damaged them when I was younger (about 12 - went over the handle bars of my bike and smashed the front top right 1, which in turn damaged the nerve in the front top right 2) and the whole thing only came to £430 and the dentist I go to is considered one of the best in my area.

Cosmetic dentisry is expensive, to have four front teeth straightened or new crowns putting in, it will be in the thousands. However, for genuine problems etc where conventional methods such as braces are not working, your dentist should be able to at least sort our crowns, but this depends on whether it is the teeth that are misalighned or whether it is actually the gums.

This shouldnt cost more then $1000 - $1500 really, however if everywhere in the US is as dear as SniperDevils dentist, then it will probably be more like $9000.

Id recommend you speak to your dentist asap and discuss all the options available to you, dentists dont usually let know all options as some are a not as conventional as others and some options will mean a trip to a cosmetic dentist.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I've had braces as well.

Some people say that they're horrible, I disagree. My braces were the "clear" type. After the first week or second week, they're not so bad. You get used to them. I didn't feel pain per se, just some mild discomfort. Brushing and flossing is the only thing that really frustrated me.

As far as kissing goes, it was no problem for my boyfriend and me. Oh, and the other... extra curricular activities... let's just say, if you're careful enough, your partner won't even know they're there.

Oh, and the other... extra curricular activities... let's just say, if you're careful enough, your partner won't even know they're there.
    Hello jaina,

Thanks for sharing that with thousands of people. I'm pretty sure we all needed/wanted to know that you participate in such extra curricular activities.

Originally posted by Torith
    Well that is the thing all my teeth are not even. Some are sharp edged and others are shorter. I just want even straight teeth. Braces would help get them straight but would not solve the problem of them even.

Now this might seem like a rather stupid statement to some but i'm going to say it anyway [Besides that's never stopped me in the past ] .

You're teeth aren't supposed to be "even", i'm assuming we're talking about their length here. Incisors, canines, molars; they're differnt shapes and sizes, and that is the whole point isn' t it.

Or am i way off with all that?

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Also, ask around and make sure you get a good dentists. Some dentists can actually mess up your teeth. I notice that large "franchise" like dentists with many offices seem to just try to get you in and out as quick as possible. Here in Florida there's one called Greenberg and they're like that.

I would try to stick to a one-office dentistry.

I am not sure what you need done but as you probably already know (I know you mentioned you were going to talk to your dentist today) that it is going to be very expensive. Braces really are not that bad and it is well worth the 2-3 years of wearing them which will suck for the next 70 years you will have nice straight teeth.

BTW: I just got done with a major job with a periodontist which ran me 10k because I did not have health insurance for many many years and even though I brush/floss twice daily I let it go for too long.