* Looking for a host with full hot backups...

Hi

I have been hosting a site on Pronicsolutions for the past few years. I think they've been excellent, and their support is usually very good.

However, have noticed a problem with the backups... Basically, they do a cold backup of the mysql database every night (stop the database, backup, and restart), which means the database is inaccesible for like 2-10 minutes every night. It is now the peak usage time for the site (Asian users), so the site is essentially down for the duration. There are options to take a hot backup of a mysql database using a master slave, but for whatever reason, they choose not to implement it (And they do not include the database downtime to their uptime stats)... So I need to move...

Desired Specs:
    1 Gb storage, at least 30 Gb data transfer (per month, 50 gb pref)
    Static IP and telnet/SSH access
    PHP/mysql and cpanel
    and ofcourse, the hot backups.

Flexi on the price, but I do not like setup fees or minimum duration contracts.

The site gets roughly 30K visits a month, and roughly 3 million hits.

Would appreciate if someone could suggest one/more good hosts.

TIA
    ndahiya

There is no need to stop MySQL during the backup process. We have never stopped MySQL when taking taking mysql dumps and moving them to our backup servers. I've never seen an admin that has told me he has to stop mysql to perform backups.

My linux knowledge is limited but what you say isn't common at all
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

As far as the "master slave" idea you propose. Many hosts will setup a disk array where the hard disks on the system are mirrored. However, this is a form of redundancy and is not considered a form of backup.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

You don't really have to stop the MySQL in order to make the backup. Who told you that?
    FDCServers - Bad Speed, Faulty Network, Ignorant Support

Nobody tell us to stop mysql to perform backups... Did your hosting tell you that you need to stop mySQL while backup?

Smile

He is saying that his host has to stop the mysql server to perform backups and causes his site down to be taken down during the backup process.

I think they are doing that is to avoid inconsistency between database tables.

Depending on your databse size sometimes you should stop mysql to avoid database corruption. I have never heard of a host doing this in a shared platform (generally speaking databases are not 20GB on a shared account) but I have heard of it.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Its to ensure consistency, I'm told.. In theory the idea is excellent, but the implementation is not that great...
    My db is only 200 Mb.

If a host has disk mirrors, a way to backup can be to "break" the link for the backup duration, thus ensuring a "snapshot".... Of course, the best solution is a master slave.

Ideally, I would like a host that has a scheme to take consistent backups...

Reasons apart, I still need a new host!!! Please suggest.
    TIA.

What is your purpose for the SSH access and static IP? I assume you want to use SSH to restore your database, but what about the IP?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

SSH is really useful to just manage the site and think i would deff need it...

About static IP, not sure if it is necessary, but would be good as I've had it now... guess having a static ip in some sense indicates the host is not overloading the servers ?

Originally posted by ndahiya
    SSH is really useful to just manage the site and think i would deff need it...

About static IP, not sure if it is necessary, but would be good as I've had it now... guess having a static ip in some sense indicates the host is not overloading the servers ?
    Hi,

Actually no, it is not indication that they are not overloading their servers. Distributing sites over seperate IP addresses will not lower load on a server. The only reason they may have is because it allows you to have your own SSL certificate (if you pay for it). In reality, to have a dedicated IP you need proper justification for it. An SSL certificate is an example of proper justification whereas just having it to be cool isn't
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Ok.. So the desired specs are:

1 Gb storage, at least 30 Gb data transfer (per month, 50 gb pref)

Telnet/SSH access

PHP/mysql and cpanel, 24x7 support

and ofcourse, the hot backups (preferably with some mechanism to ensure consistency).

Flexi on the price, but I do not like setup fees or minimum duration contracts.

The site gets roughly 30K visits a month, and roughly 3 million hits.
    Last edited by ndahiya; 10-15-2005 at 08:45 AM.

As there seem to be no reccos for the hot backup issue, maybe I could make do with a host that does not shut down the DB every night for the db backup... guess i can live with a small risk of inconsistency... unfortunately, looks like i can't stay with pronicsolutions as the DB uptime is a prob.

there are a bunch i've looked at dreamhost, site5, lunarpages ... not sure if they turn the switch off every day....

reccos among these or any other you think might be suitable?

TIA.

Smile

I think most hosts do have hot backups ~

Maybe you should ask the hosts you are interested in before signning up in case they have cold backups ~