Liquid Web, and My Obligation to understand Unix

Before I start, I have the $60/month plan for a managed VPS.

I have a question about obligation. I currently am with Liquid Web. They are actually very good, and they answer all my advanced questions and are very helpful, however recently I am trying to install a complicated software, and this is where it is becomming a little hard. I don't know, I just feel like I am being a pain when I ask for help with this. I wanted to know if I am wrong for constantly asking questions to try to figure out how to install this complicated software? Is it my obligation to know Unix given the plan I purchased? Thanks.

There is no harm is asking them to install it. Liquid Web has a good reputation for offering a fully managed service.

Their managed definition can be viewed at: http://www.liquidweb.com/dedicated/managed/

As shown in the link, it isn't necessary for you to be a Linux expert.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Re: Liquid Web, and My Obligation to understand Unix

Originally posted by chopin2256
    Is it my obligation to know Unix given the plan I purchased?
    No - but it helps. Also, I'm not sure if LW supports installation of 3rd party software on anything other than a best-effort basis.

Thanks, that's what I wasn't sure of. I am learning unix, but I am messing up things while I learn. I pretty much screwed up my server while trying to learn and perhaps someone can help me figure out how to revert it back to its original state? Very frustrating.

Thanks, that's what I wasn't sure of. I am learning unix, but I am messing up things while I learn. I pretty much screwed up my server while trying to learn and perhaps someone can help me figure out how to revert it back to its original state? Very frustrating.
    What are you trying to install/fix?

I believe Liquid Web does daily backups for their VPS offerings, perhaps you can request a restore?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I deleted glibc! Not very smart but I wanted to upgrade it to 2.4 instead of 2.3. Very stupid! Confused on how to upgrade to glibc 2.4 though?

I deleted glibc! Not very smart but I wanted to upgrade it to 2.4 instead of 2.3. Very stupid! Confused on how to upgrade to glibc 2.4 though?
    I believe that glibc is one of the things that Virtuozzo has a special RPM for. Your gonna need to ask LW to reinstall it for you.