When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Good afternoon,

I never did get my issues resolved with my current host in this thread and am sick and tired of using pico. It sucks. That and the (what I believe to be) premium price I'm paying just leaves a foul taste in my mouth, so I'm thinking of moving on.

But I'm not sure if I should be looking at another shared/reseller hosting account or if it's time to be looking at a fully-managed dedicated/VPS solution.

I do not resell per se. Rather, I own 14 or so domains of my own and a WHM/Cpanel arrangement is the most convenient for me to "manage" my sites. I keep overselling enabled just so I don't have to micromanage resources monthly (if one site goes 1 GB over quota one month I don't have to worry about it unless the overall "bandwidth pool" starts to run low). It's a "don't annoy me" kinda thing.

I'm only using about 4GB of disk space and 60GB of monthly bandwidth total across all of my domains, which seems a fair amount below even what the cheapest of dedicated solutions offer. Do I really need a dedicated solution?

Whatever I choose would have to be fully managed, as I have no time nor inclination to learn the intricacies of server management. I make no bones about the fact that I may need some handholding upfront, especially since I am unfamiliar with what specifically *I* will be responsible for under a managed dedicated solution. For example, I know my way around WHM and Cpanel and can set up packages, change quotas, etc., but don't know how to transfer accounts from other hosts, enable SSH, install patches, install perl modules, install SSL certs, etc. (Hopefully that made sense).

I wouldn't mind something a bit speedier than the server I'm currently on, yet I have no idea how to evaluate (or in my case guestimate) what hardware level would show a boost in responsiveness? Is CPU speed more important than RAM or visa versa? Bandwidth pipe?

*bleagh*

My largest site gets about 3,000 uniques a day; the next largest about one tenth of that. The majority of my sites are dynamic, pages being created by perl scripts. Some of the admin scripts *can* put a bit of a load on the server.

Right now I'm paying $55 per month for 5GB/70GB. It looks to me that I can get something fully managed, if not cheaper, at least close to that monthly amount.

So what should I be looking for and what questions should I be asking?

Why would I want a dedicated solution rather than another shared hosting situation? (1) so that changes are not foisted upon me unannounced, and I can yay or nay them, (2) at one point with my previous host, I was able to have image files on one domain accessible by other domains at the system level; with my current host, this is no longer possible -- everything is completely compartmentalized (basically I use a PDF-building library to create custom PDFs on the fly on several of my domains, but the main image repository is on one domain rather than being duplicated; I've had to shut down this functionality since the scripts cannot access files on other domains... sucks. Anyway, I degress...)

It just seems to me that dedicated offers more freedom, yet I'm concerned about potentially more responsibility.

If more information is needed, please holler.

Thanks in advance.

Most people who have no experience using a dedicated get a low-end one and hire a company such as PSM to manage it for them. They harden the server, answer questions, etc. It is generally cheaper than getting a fully managed server from a provider.

You can always get a very low end server like an AMD Duron with a 40 GB hard drive and around 250-400 gb bandwidth for maybe $50-60 a month not including a control panel and management.

A server that costs $75 a month will also cost cpanel for around $20-30, Management from PSM for $30 monthly and after awhile it adds up.

You may consider using a VPS which allows a lot more flexibility without any of the above mentioned problems.

Edit; Notice PowerVPS's cpanel offerings. A little cheaper than your current reseller and you get 10 gb disk space and 150 gb bandwidth with 256 mb ram. This may be an ideal solution for you.

--AJ
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Originally posted by dharding
    Right now I'm paying $55 per month for 5GB/70GB. It looks to me that I can get something fully managed, if not cheaper, at least close to that monthly amount.

I would recommend a ServInt VPS to you dharding.

For $49 a month you can get 10gb storage and 200gb transfer, fully managed. Their service is unbeatable.

a vps might be a better way to go powervps/olarvps/a2b2 are some good vps companies, you can install your own software, the are semi to fully managed.

Otherwise you should go with an unmanaged server from LayeredTech around $65 a month and then pay a company for management.

Originally posted by rasputinj
    Otherwise you should go with an unmanaged server from LayeredTech around $65 a month and then pay a company for management.
    Yeah - but then you run into the possibility of a clueless tech that screws something up, can't fix it and leaves you with the mess and bears no responsibility for fixing it. Most of the time it doesn't happen, but, it's a very real possibility, especially with the low-end, bargain basement management companies.

Re: Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Originally posted by blue27
    Their service is unbeatable.
    That's up for debate, IMHO.

Re: Re: Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Originally posted by mripguru
    That's up for debate, IMHO.

My personal experience with them and a quick search of this forum would say otherwise.

Re: Re: Re: Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

My personal experience with them and a quick search of this forum would say otherwise.
    That's why I said it's debatable - everyone has their own viewpoint.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Then debate it somewhere else.

If you have a recommendation then make it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Well, then would you mind providing specifics? Otherwise it's simply a driveby thread hijacking, and no offense, it's less than useless to me.

Thanks.

dharding, I don't think that mripguru is trying to discredit ServInt. I believe he is suggesting, based on previous posts, that PowerVPS is equal in quality to ServInt, therefore not "unbeatable".

Either one would be a good choice.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When to move from shared to dedicated hosting?

Well, then would you mind providing specifics? Otherwise it's simply a driveby thread hijacking, and no offense, it's less than useless to me.

Thanks.
    I wasn't trying to hijack your thread - I'm sorry if it came across that way.

However, I'd just like to point out that while ServInt may be a *decent* company, it's growth has taken away some of it's better qualities (more customers to deal with, same ammount of time). Also, need I remind everyone about the 7 hour outage due to a fiber-cut (before which ServInt claimed they had redundancy in their network, they recently added another provider onto their network). Support is, for the most part, acceptable - but, just a personal observation, they read/sound like drones (no offense to any ServInt staff-member reading this thread, I'm calling it like I see it). Also, it's been told to me that at one point that they were overselling their Virtuozzo nodes (I don't know if this is still the case).

Anyhow, be it as it may, ServInt is a decent company - but it's not what it used to be maybe a year ago+.

dharding, I don't think that mripguru is trying to discredit ServInt. I believe he is suggesting, based on previous posts, that PowerVPS is equal in quality to ServInt, therefore not "unbeatable".

Either one would be a good choice.
    Now that you mention it - PowerVPS is also a good choice. But my point was that with their recent growth, the ServInt dynamic has changed somewhat.

Thanks for the additional information. That helps me much more.

As a matter of fact, servint was one of the companies that I was looking at prior to my posting here.

Another one was JaguarPC.com.

PowerVPS is slightly more expensive, but not radically so.

Next question: How do I gauge what level of VPS I need? RAM, Burst RAM, CPU? I'm not sure what "equal share" means with respect to CPU. Does that mean that if there are 8 VPS on a server, you get 1/8 of the CPU guaranteed? Isn't that in effect the same as shared hosting in that respect? You're at the mercy of how many ways the CPU access is split?

(Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the terminology...)

Another one was JaguarPC.com.
    JaguarPC (I have a VPS with them which I'll probbably be cancelling at the end of the term) isn't what I'd call a standard in the industry:

a) they don't offer automated VPS backups - you have to do them from inside your VE and use your bandwidth allocation in the proccess.

b) They outsource their support to another country (this may not bother you, but it bothers me as an American.)

c) They seem to have an interesting node configuration (at least the VE I'm on).

$44.50 to $49.00? That's actually cheaper. (PowerVPS being $44.50).

Next question: How do I gauge what level of VPS I need? RAM, Burst RAM, CPU? I'm not sure what "equal share" means with respect to CPU. Does that mean that if there are 8 VPS on a server, you get 1/8 of the CPU guaranteed? Isn't that in effect the same as shared hosting in that respect? You're at the mercy of how many ways the CPU access is split?
    I'd start with the basic plan and then work your way up if it doesn't suit your needs - it's a very painless upgrade, and best of all - no downtime is required, it's all done on the fly.

$44.50 to $49.00? That's actually cheaper. (PowerVPS being $44.50).

If you compare price to features they work out to be pretty much the same.

If you compare price to features they work out to be pretty much the same.
    Agreed.

(just for my own curiosity, I asked JaguarPC to check out the interesting allocs on my VE - we'll see what they say.)

What makes you think that? They have a special running where you can get an extra 100GB transfer for free. They also offer RvSkin, Fantastico, and Client Exec for free.

ServInt offers only 200GB (PowerVPS is 250GB with the special) and charges $20 for RvSkin, $12 for Fantastico, and $2/mo for Client Exec.

Not to say that ServInt is expensive, I actually think they're quite cheap. But I'm just curious as to where you got the idea that PowerVPS was more expensive.

<edit> If you are comparing Jaguar to PowerVPS, then yes they are more expensive, but with all the features given at PowerVPS I think it's actually about the same, as stated by others above </edit>
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

You're right; I misread things. PowerVPS does appear to be the most cost effective of the three.

I still don't know what "equal share CPU" means.

I still have some trepidation about support. Reading through their support tiers, it appears that no matter what, I would have to pay additional fees to have perl modules installed ($10 per), whereas this is something I currently get for free (there are a number of modules outside the normal install set that I utilize). Is that something that is easily done as root using ppm, or does it get complicated? If I have to download source and compile, etc., now we're starting to stray outside my experience.

The other thing I'm afraid of is that I won't know until after I've committed to the switchover as to whether a VPS base config is actually a step up or step down from current performance.

(sorry, I know it sounds like I'm being overly anal retentive about this, but I'm afraid of royally lousing things up by switching to this type of config).

Thanks.

I still have some trepidation about support. Reading through their support tiers, it appears that no matter what, I would have to pay additional fees to have perl modules installed ($10 per), whereas this is something I currently get for free (there are a number of modules outside the normal install set that I utilize). Is that something that is easily done as root using ppm, or does it get complicated? If I have to download source and compile, etc., now we're starting to stray outside my experience.
    I've asked PowerVPS to install stuff for me before and they've always done it quickly and promptly and without charge. I think they just have it there for the people that abuse the techs time.

I think they just have it there for the people that abuse the techs time.
    Yes, that's most likely what it's there for.

In fact, they're more than willing to install 3rd party software. They're the ones that sometimes suggest it =)
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    [re: PowerVPS] They have a special running where you can get an extra 100GB transfer for free.
    Have a link to that? I can't seem to find it on the site.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!