Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PHP 5 supporting host

It's shocking how many hosts don't support php5, even in CGI mode. I can understand that they stay with 4 for module mode, but it's trivially easy to install php 5 in CGI mode so that you can write php apps with the ".php5" extension, alongside php 4 in module mode with the .php extension. So you can gradually learn/upgrade to php 5 when it becomes the norm..

Anyway, most hosts are smart enough to figure that out, does anyone have host recomendations for that? Looking for a shared account, nothing fancy or special. Normally I'd go with pair.com but they're kind of pricey now by comparison.

Thanks,

rw

Hi,

The main reason most hosts are not doing this yet is because they do not want to cause any server instability or issues for their current clients on their servers. I've had instances where on my own personal server, after upgrading to PHP 5, ran into few problems with some scripts (mainly some phpbb addons) and have reverted back to PHP 4, doing so is a risk and isn't necessary yet at this point for many hosts.

I'm sure more and more hosts will start supporting PHP 5 in the near future. I've seen few hosts who are supporting php5 already, I'd do a search on WHT (Offers section etc..) and then do a search for reviews of the host you have in mind, Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Thanks but I think you missed what I said in my post. If you install php 5 in CGI mode, and link only ".php5" files to it, then there is absolutely no issue with breaking existing php code. Existing php code still runs php4, same version you had before, same everything. Only .php5 files run php 5, in CGI mode. Seriously, look into it, it's really easy to set up, I have it running on my local linux machine and all I did is follow the tutorials.

btw this is what pair.com does, among the many many other hosts..

It still might cause confusion with some customers.

Another large reason is that enough scripts haven't really been made and are in production to warrant a php5 upgrade.

Anything might cause confusion with some customers. Offering perl and php at the same time might cause confusion with some customers.

And PHP isn't there just to install other people's scripts you know.

Wow this is not the response I was expecting, I thought people would be going "Wow, some hosting companies can't figure out installing 5 alongside 4? amazing, its so easy!"

(Btw, thanks for including your host name in your sig.)

Originally posted by Rotwang
    Anything might cause confusion with some customers. Offering perl and php at the same time might cause confusion with some customers.

Wow this is not the response I was expecting, I thought people would be going "Wow, some hosting companies can't figure out installing 5 alongside 4? amazing, its so easy!"

So because you didn't get the response you wanted you choose to be rude?

Perhaps some people just don't agree with you.

I would say, and I'm sure many people would agree as well, that 3rd party scripts are more popular and more widely used than custom-made scripts. When there is a large market for PHP5, then I'm positive hosts will jump on and start supporting it - but for now, there isn't a large market.

(Signature comment sarcasm?)

Well, hosts already are jumping on and supporting it. Because it's trivially easy to do.

(Yes, I'd avoid any host that doesn't spend the hour it takes to offer it.)

The problem isn't if there is a demand or not - the problem is with the degree of the demand. Right now, there's not too much reliance on PHP5 so production is going to be down.

It's basic supply and demand/economics laws ...

No it's basic ROI economic laws. And the cost of investment here is trivially cheap to free. The hosts that get that have installed php 5 alongside 4, and the hosts that don't get that, haven't.

The hosts that get that have installed php 5 alongside 4, and the hosts that don't get that, haven't.
    I really don't see why a host has to provide anything, even php of any kind for that matter. Each host is free to make business choices as it sees fit, with or without easy to figure out logic behind its decision.

Also, just because something is virtually free, it doesn't mean it must be installed on a server.

Well, hosts already are jumping on and supporting it. Because it's trivially easy to do.

(Yes, I'd avoid any host that doesn't spend the hour it takes to offer it.)
    It really depends on how you set it up as to how 'trivial' it is to set it up. If you wish merely to offer a .php5 extension, then it can take some time to learn how to implement it precisely with your chosen control panel.

Now if you wish to extend that offering with any features to easily swap which version of php .php files are processed with, that can take a little longer.

Really. it's up to the host to decide which market they wish to cater to. Some hosts chose to just go after the base market while others push the way into the future by offering extended functionality. Neither is the wrong choice, nor is it right. Every host has a different plan to reach their customers. You really don't have to berate a host because they choose not to offer such services. Maybe they have people on staff who know php4 but not php5, and choose to only offer what they have experience with. Maybe they're waiting to run php5 as a module when there is more support for it.

No need to pick fights with hosts who don't feel it is in their best interest to offer php5. Just like we haven't gone with a mod_php5 setup, that doesn't mean I should take shots at hosts who have, or hosts who don't offer php5 at all. It's really none of anyone's business what they're doing but their own.

Have a good day
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Originally posted by WO-Jacob
    It really depends on how you set it up as to how 'trivial' it is to set it up. If you wish merely to offer a .php5 extension, then it can take some time to learn how to implement it precisely with your chosen control panel.

Now if you wish to extend that offering with any features to easily swap which version of php .php files are processed with, that can take a little longer.

Really. it's up to the host to decide which market they wish to cater to. Some hosts chose to just go after the base market while others push the way into the future by offering extended functionality. Neither is the wrong choice, nor is it right. Every host has a different plan to reach their customers. You really don't have to berate a host because they choose not to offer such services. Maybe they have people on staff who know php4 but not php5, and choose to only offer what they have experience with. Maybe they're waiting to run php5 as a module when there is more support for it.

No need to pick fights with hosts who don't feel it is in their best interest to offer php5. Just like we haven't gone with a mod_php5 setup, that doesn't mean I should take shots at hosts who have, or hosts who don't offer php5 at all. It's really none of anyone's business what they're doing but their own.

Have a good day

Well stated.

Just my two cents, but many hosts simply aren't that knowledgeable about hosting. They'd rather focus on overselling space and bandwidth, knowing that the majority of sites out there never even use a gig a month of bandwidth.

Dreamhost and Textdrive and Zettai are some of the shared hosting providers out there that do focus on being developer-friendly, something that is a rarity in this age of brainless Cpanel kiddie hosts.

Originally posted by carrotweb
    Just my two cents, but many hosts simply aren't that knowledgeable about hosting. They'd rather focus on overselling space and bandwidth, knowing that the majority of sites out there never even use a gig a month of bandwidth.

Dreamhost and Textdrive and Zettai are some of the shared hosting providers out there that do focus on being developer-friendly, something that is a rarity in this age of brainless Cpanel kiddie hosts.
    Well stated!

Thanks I'll look into those three hosts and see if their on the ball.

I think I disagreed with almost every point in WO-Jacob's post. But one thing I definately agreed with was "Maybe they have people on staff who know php4 but not php5, and choose to only offer what they have experience with.". Yep, that's it, they don't have it installed because they haven't bothered to spend the hour it takes to be knowledgable on the subject. And for that their customers suffer, their business suffers, php suffers, and they deserve criticism.

Well stated!

Thanks I'll look into those three hosts and see if their on the ball.

I think I disagreed with almost every point in WO-Jacob's post. But one thing I definately agreed with was "Maybe they have people on staff who know php4 but not php5, and choose to only offer what they have experience with.". Yep, that's it, they don't have it installed because they haven't bothered to spend the hour it takes to be knowledgable on the subject. And for that their customers suffer, their business suffers, php suffers, and they deserve criticism.
    I highly doubt thier customers suffer. Most shared hosting clients don't know and don't care about what version of php is running as long as whatever they install works. With this standard as the measuring stuck, PHP4 is the proper default choice, since that is still what the majority of scripts run on.

Their business is doubtfully suffering, as you say. A majority of hosts don't depend on the developer market to thrive, and honestly, developers tend to... develop, on the server, which causes further instability and can actually HURT a business as opposed to help one. Don't tell me you've never done an actidental infinite loop.

PHP prospers for the simple fact that any host offering php support helps further it's reach to the end users. Sure, it's holding it back, somewhat, but then so are all the script developers who are still only writing with PHP4 in mind. It's not too hard to develop a script to work in php4 and php5. Talk to the developers who write the software and get them all to get their source up to date if you want to start bashing anyone.

No host deserves criticism because they don't offer the features you want. Or do you think yourself special enough that every host on the planet should want to host you? What about hosts who only have a copy of their site in Hindi? Do they need to be critisized too? Or is that something totally different ?

Really, you need to relax. Some people just are not interested in offering what you want provided. Take a deep breath and look around for other providers who do.

Have a good night.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

PHP5 is not very hard at all to install along side PHP4. I also find it hard to believe that all hosts dont offer it, because its a simple method to gain a new client base. There are lots of hosts that do offer it now though, just do a search on google for PHP5 web hosting
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Originally posted by WO-Jacob
    I highly doubt thier customers suffer. Most shared hosting clients don't know and don't care about what version of php is running as long as whatever they install works.
    I'm a customer and I suffer. You say "most" don't. So we agree that some suffer.

Their business is doubtfully suffering, as you say. A majority of hosts don't depend on the developer market to thrive, and honestly, developers tend to... develop, on the server, which causes further instability and can actually HURT a business as opposed to help one. Don't tell me you've never done an actidental infinite loop.
    See here's where your logic stumbles. Developers, who develop, are the customers that are more likely to make sites that grow and make money and need bigger servers. Since you have problems reading anything but absolutes, I'll remind you that I said "more likely". I didn't say "all" developers make money. I didn't say "all" installers don't make money. Developers are mostly smarter than installers, obviously. Smarter people have bigger clients and make more money. A web hosting company wants more money. Crazy, right? So it hurts their business if they're putting off developers. I dare you to find a web hosting company that says "we're not developer friendly" on their web site.

PHP prospers for the simple fact that any host offering php support helps further it's reach to the end users. Sure, it's holding it back, somewhat, but then so are all the script developers who are still only writing with PHP4 in mind. It's not too hard to develop a script to work in php4 and php5. Talk to the developers who write the software and get them all to get their source up to date if you want to start bashing anyone.
    Talk to the developers who can't try their code in php 5 because it's not installed on their host's server. That's good for php? Good for the developer?

No host deserves criticism because they don't offer the features you want. Or do you think yourself special enough that every host on the planet should want to host you?
    It's ROI. ROI. ROI. ROI. The investment here to get me to host on their site is something that free and trivially easy to do. This is a non-argument here. You're talking about supporting php 5 like it's a major business decision for the hosting companies. That's where you venture into absurdity. It's an hour. One. Hour.

Many hosts won't run PHP4 and PHP5 side-by-side because that option does not easily integrate with control panels such as cPanel.

On a cPanel server, using the side-by-side option, domains are setup on PHP4 by default. The customer must either use mod_rewrite along with .php5 extensions, or be switched completely to PHP5 using Mod_Proxy settings in the Apache config.

There were many obstacles that had to be overcome to offer side-by-side service on a cPanel server. The setup is pretty easy, but some of the problems with integration took awhile to overcome.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Good points, all, Jacob.

This thread got side-tracked pretty quick, but I guess that is due to passion for PHP 5 on both sides.

Rotwang, don't be so hard on people/companies that don't provide what 'you' want. That is a fact of life which we all deal with everyday. Hosters not yet offering PHP 5, of which we are one, suffer very little. Our Clients suffer very little as well because as already stated, most don't care what is installed so long as what they want to use will work. Otherwise, they go elsewhere and that is understood by all.

I don't see you degrading Hosts that are not yet providing Ruby on Rails. Could it be because that is not yet important to you? And what about Java? Should all Hosters offer that as well. Then there is the ASP tweak for Linux/Apache so people can, somewhat, use ASP code. Any comments there? Plus there is ....

I think you get my point.

Look for a Hoster that provides what 'you' want and good business can be done. That applies to people looking for the newest 'whatever' right down to good Uptime, Support, etc. Getting into arguments on whether Hosters should or shouldn't be offering PHP 5 will just take you off track, in your search for a Hoster that is good for you.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Originally posted by Website Rob

I don't see you degrading Hosts that are not yet providing Ruby on Rails. Could it be because that is not yet important to you? And what about Java? Should all Hosters offer that as well. Then there is the ASP tweak for Linux/Apache so people can, somewhat, use ASP code. Any comments there? Plus there is ....
    Sure, I'll answer that- It's true that I don't care about ruby. Howerver, yes, I AM upset if a host doesn't have it installed. There's no good reason not to. That indicates a lazy host that doesn't care about it's developers. That's not a good sign.

Java is another story. Installing java actually is a major time investment. And it's not easy to maintain either, doesn't do well in a shared environment. As you'll see from like half of my other posts on the thread, I keep saying it's all about supporting stuff that's easy to support. ROI. One hour. etc.

If it's easy to install, (and free), then it should be installed. Period.

Sure, I'll answer that- It's true that I don't care about ruby. Howerver, yes, I AM upset if a host doesn't have it installed. There's no good reason not to. That indicates a lazy host that doesn't care about it's developers. That's not a good sign.

Java is another story. Installing java actually is a major time investment. And it's not easy to maintain either, doesn't do well in a shared environment. As you'll see from like half of my other posts on the thread, I keep saying it's all about supporting stuff that's easy to support. ROI. One hour. etc.

If it's easy to install, (and free), then it should be installed. Period.
    So just to clarify, you can install php5 in a side-by-side with php4 on 1000 servers in an hour? Please... do tell.