Question about Secondary Name Server

I recently got a dedicated server and want to move my hosting cusomters from shared server to this dedicated server.

I am using the primary name server (ns1.mydomain.com) on the dedicated server (single IP). I need to setup a secondary name server (ns2). What are the different options to do it.

I signed upon for Secondary Name Server service at domainsmadeeasy.com. I am not sure how to create a link between my primary (ns1) and this secondary name server. Is there some way I can use WHM on my dedicated server to setup the required settings.

Your advise will be appreciated.

you need to check with domainsmadeeasy if they can perform domain transfer requests to replicate the primary server to secondary, otherwise you will have to manually update the DNS records on the 2 servers

Use another IP for ns2.* or if you don't want to use another ip you can just point ns2.* to the ns1.* IP and it will still work.

I was thinking to use dnsmadeeasy.com services so that both primary and secondary name servers are on different machines.

dnsmadeeasy told me to add in the BIND:

zone "mydomain.net" {
    type master;
    file "filename";
    allow-transfer { IP address; };
    };

Now my question is that will this update in the named.conf take care of all the zones (domains) which are there in the named.conf or do I need to add the above code for every zone?.

This might work out for what your looking for http://ns2exchange.com
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

Thanks everyone for assistance.

I have been told by support people if I want it for all domains just put that statement in the "options" section at the top of the BIND file.

Hopefully this will resolve my Secondary Name Server issue, otherwise I will use the other ideas mentioned in the thread.

Originally posted by hostracer
    you need to check with domainsmadeeasy if they can perform domain transfer requests to replicate the primary server to secondary, otherwise you will have to manually update the DNS records on the 2 servers
    I'm a happy user of DnsMadeEasy, I believe their 2nd DNS can meet your need.
    Low cost and reliable, plus 5 more DNS server for redundancy.