Professional Search Engine Marketer Certification - give me a break.

Hey Everyone,

I'd like your input on this...

WebCEO apparently has a virtual university where they offer a crash course in Search Engine marketing, and then certify you as a PSEM (pro search engine marketer).

http://uni.webceo.com/certified.php?id=4110

That's apparently what the certificate looks like.

Here's their order page for it:

https://secure.webceo.com/order-page.htm

I really don't know what to make of it.

They make it out to be something HUGE that will get you more clients, and give you some fabulous bragging rights. But in all reality - have you guys even heard of this? Could it possibly be worth anything more than fooling a few newbie client's by saying "yeah I'm a pro, here's my certification".

I just don't know. I heard the course was 80% tutorial on how to use the WebCEO software and most of it was all basic stuff that can easily be found on the internet (though, what can't be found on the internet).

What do you guys make of this?

Hell, Brain Bench has been around for a while, and nobody knows who they are, they also certify. It really only matters if the person you are trying to work for even cares, in my opinion. I would think good referrals would be alot better than this.
    "It's hard to dance if you just lost your wallet. Whoa! Where's my wallet? But, hey this song is funky." - Mitch Hedberg

The Certification of web skills is an interesting topic, and one that is close to my heart.

I have recently embarked on the CIW Associate course (www.ciwcertified.com) and bought the CIW Master Web Designer course to do upon completion of the Associate.

In retrospect, I am not too sure how much this will really benefit me as I am not even studying the Web design bit yet and have already learnt basic HTML through self tutorial e.g. trial and error. I know this is only a small proportion of what I will need to learn but the best stuff I have learnt has been from WHT and other 'informal' sources such as advice from professionals etc.

Indeed experience via any methods be it formal training, coding for personal Web sites etc. is the key and building up a portfolio is a good idea.

That said, formal training schemes and certifications also have their benefits such as nipping bad scripting habits in the bud and learning the right way from the start.

It's the actual usefulness of the certification that concerns me. Will I be any better off or break into the industry sooner by holding the "I Can" certificate?

I think that anyone looking for certificates should be careful when as a lot of sites glorify their certifications, practically saying 'this will be sure to get you work.

It would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts and feelings on this - particularly any opinions on the CIW course range.

Re: Professional Search Engine Marketer Certification - give me a break.

Originally posted by Rich
    Could it possibly be worth anything more than fooling a few newbie client's by saying "yeah I'm a pro, here's my certification".
    It may do that... but there's absolutely no way it'd be any help towards getting a job with an actual SEM firm. More likely it'd be a hindrance in fact. Employers in the field will want to see either real experience, or simply an eagerness to learn that hasn't been "cluttered" with learning other approaches that they won't use. For example, no pro SEO firm is likely to use software like Web CEO... so why bother taking someone through the process of "unlearning" those techniques?

The thing is, anyone can "certify" anyone else for practically any general skill. Without knowing exactly what the requirements and areas of expertise required are, it's completely meaningless.

And who'd want to hire a "marketer" who'd fallen for something like that himself?

I agree with JayC, just to add that even after getting your certification, you need to show your references and experience to the employer for getting job, that means it is not just sufficient. Most of the companies usually hire trained and skilled person and not just certified, however certification is a cherry on icecream.

We previously used Web CEO - it's not bad software at all for small-mid size SEO consultants or operators. The certification isn't something I can get behind, but the idea is a good one. You just need a more independent organization to offer it - someone like SMA-NA or SearchEngineWatch.
    Several good tools for SEO | My SEO Blog

what was the web ceo software useful for ?
    just don't get why you would need any sort of software to conduct SEO and/or traffic analysis if you are already grounded in SEO and are seen as a "small-mid size SEO consultants or operator".

It's a reasonably good and inexpensive traffic monitoring program for non-SEO sites, and the SERP watching feature is very convenient.

There's a few things that I would occassionally use as well like the find and replace for docs (when I didn't want to use Dreamweaver) and the link/title tag checkers.
    Several good tools for SEO | My SEO Blog