Angry E-mail problems with Micfo <partial rant>

I've been with Micfo since the Dinix debacle. (This is actually my second time with them. I had them before Dinix for a while.) The web server up time and speeds have always been good, but e-mail has been a different story.

First, it was being blacklisted (probably still is, I'm always getting notices from [email protected]). Then, we kept getting error 421: too many concurrent connections. Now, we keep getting error 451: temporary local problem.

Today, the tech acknowledged there was an outage and said ETA was 30 minutes. Well, it's been three hours since, and it's been out for almost 8 now. Their last response was blaming my ISP for blocking outgoing mail!! This is what's infuriated me most. F**Kin' e-mail worked fine 8 hours ago, and they want to tell me my ISP all of the sudden starts blocking my outbound relaying port? ********!! Even if they did, that wouldn't explain not being able to RECEIVE anything!

I've read where Micfo's been going through some ordeal with their datacenter. Of course, I haven't gotten anything from them, and if I did, I didn't catch it in my junk folder. Right now, I'm just really pissed about that statement and want to leave but dread the hassle. Because, if it weren't for these e-mail incidents (4 in the past 2 months, 7 total in the past 6 months), all would be fine.

Still steaming,
    Patrick

I always like to give companies the benefit of the doubt, if these problems don't happen often I would stick it out and let them resolve the errors.

It does seem like they tried buying some time with the remark about your ISP blocking mail. Many ISP's do block port 25 (outgoing) but I have never seen problems with port 110 (incoming). If you know someone else on the same server as you, you could ask them if they can send/receive. http://dnsreport.com/ may be able to give you answers as well with their mail test.

If the problems are frequent, I would consider either outsourcing your email (providing that they will change your MX Record) or perhaps change web hosts altogether.
    Finding a good host can be quite the task. If there hosting has been good, I would seriously consider just outsourcing the email. I guess it all depends on what you are willing to spend and what hoops you are willing to jump through.

Best of Luck
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Yeah, if you are sharing a server, then you're sharing all the machine resources.
    421: too many concurrent connections is probably a Mysql error. They need to increase the cache or add memory on their machine. Some queries could be slow too. Sometimes it takes times to solve an issue. What seems simple turns out to be more complex.

Are they on Windows or Linux? and what sort of mail server software do they use? Do you know?

They are in the works of switching their datacenters, give it sometime and hopefully all the issues will be resolved

If not, you can switch to a web host that better suits your needs.

Well, they've had the night (another 8 hours) to work on it. When I responded to the support ticket this morning, I got this:

"I have noticed the root of the error tonight and am having the admin resolve this issue as we speak. There is a direct error with the clamav's interaction on exim. This error should be fixed within two hours."

12 hours ago they said they were reinstalling exim. At this point, I can't take their word for anything. I will look at farming the e-mail out, as these types of problem have been one too many lately. Thanks for the support.

Ahhhh, Exim, yes we had a similiar issue. If they're using cPanel they probably did the mail conversion and that would have caused problems with some clients.

I'm sorry to hear about your email problems but I think they were the victim of the same issue as every other host that provides cPanel. I don't think your emails should have been lost since most of our clients didn't lose theirs.

How long did it take you all to resolve the problem with all of your clients? We're an hour away from the 24-hour mark here.

Originally posted by gearworx
    Ahhhh, Exim, yes we had a similiar issue. If they're using cPanel they probably did the mail conversion and that would have caused problems with some clients.

I'm sorry to hear about your email problems but I think they were the victim of the same issue as every other host that provides cPanel. I don't think your emails should have been lost since most of our clients didn't lose theirs.

It took us just about 24 hours. Simply because we didn't have a consistent issue to work on and we proceeded with caution because we didn't want to inconvienice our other clients.

cPanel provide shell scripts for such events, running those scripts will often resolve the issue within a matter of minutes. Perhaps they are dealing with something far more complicated.

Ok, my e-mail is STILL down. I've gotten the 100 email addy plan from Godaddy. They give the following information to change the MX records to:

yourdomain.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = smtp.secureserver.net
    yourdomain.com MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mailstore1.secureserver.net

In cPanel, I can change the MX Entry, but I can only specify a domain name. Hate to show my ignorance here, but which do I enter, smtp.secureserver.net, mailstore1.secureserver.net, godaddy.com? Or, do I just tell my host to change all of my domains to the above info?

Thanks

Nevermind, I had Micfo make the changes. Now, let's hope it works in the morning.

More Micfo misshaps

Ok, so I get my e-mail up and running with Godaddy and all is well, right? Wrong! I have an addon domain that isn't showing up in cpanel or whm now. I submitted a trouble ticket last night at 9pm. Here is what's transpired:

I setup hawk-multimedia.com as an addon domain to hawknest.net with the intent of redirecting it to hawknest.net, however, it is not showing up in cpanel. Changes were made on my previous ticket to the cname mx records. Please don't remove those changes when correcting this issue. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Micfo Tech
    Posted on 14 Oct 2005 06:49 PM

Hello,

The only way to re-add it to cpanel would be to actually re-add it as an addon domain. It appears to be resolving. Is it just not showing up at all? If it gives you an error when you try to re-add it it is possible we will have to redo the MX changes.

Regards,
    Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Micfo Tech
    Posted on 14 Oct 2005 06:51 PM

Is the intent of redirecting hawk-multimedia.com to hawknest.net so that the same page resolves? If that is the case you can make hawk-multimedia.com a parked domain and it would do the same thing.

Regards,
    William

My Reply
    Posted on 14 Oct 2005 07:36 PM

If I try to re-add it as an add-on domain, it fails. If I try to add it as parked, it says it is already configured. It was added when I first setup my account. The domain does not show up at all under cpanel or whm. It resolves properly to Micfo. And, yes it is intended to point to hawknest.net.

Victor T.
    Posted on 14 Oct 2005 11:15 PM

Hello,

Please remove this account and then let us know when this is done. We will then go in and make sure that the domain has been removed from the server and then we will ask you to readd the domain as a parked domain.

This will make the domain function how you want.

Regards,
    Victor

My Reply
    Posted on 15 Oct 2005 05:22 AM

How (and why would I) remove the main account that holds all of my domains? And, how can I remove the add-on domain if it doesn't show up to remove it? Come on, guys! Why does every issue have to be such a big production? If you have to re-do the cname and mx records for the add-on, please reference support ticket #QXO-38623.

What great customer service!

And in the meantime...

Because of all of the e-mail mishaps, I submitted a request to billing to refund a promotional upgrade I had purchased at the end of August for double the space and bandwidth for $20 in exchange for the trouble and expense of outsourcing the e-mail ($30 at Godaddy). Here is their reply and my response:

Hello,

Thank you for your Email.

I have removed the upgrade package from your account.
    Unfortunately, upgrades are non-refunable.

Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Thank youu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, well gee, thanks a lot. You're more than happy to yank the features on a whim but won't refund the money after all of the trouble you've caused? (Not you personally. but Micfo.) Listen, the reason I asked for the refund is because your company cannot provide a stable e-mail service, so I had to spend $30 to get an outside provider to handle what I've already paid Micfo to do. If you're not willing to refund the cost of the upgrade, I don't think it's very fair to remove it! I just won't renew my annual account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of my response is rehashing my initial request in a plea for them to see the woes of their way. Is this such an unreasonable request?

* Micfo makes good!

Micfo is back on my good side after reinstating the upgrade I paid for AND refunding it as well just for all of the trouble I've been through. Now, THAT'S the kind of customer service I expect. Kudos to Micfo!

Nice to hear Micfo has made you happy. They have just now moved to the new datacenter and are migrating all accounts to it.
    Let's hope this is the beginning of a new beginning for Micfo...
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic