Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    People can spam without bbcode.

Look at the 2 link maximum rule. Many people just include 2 clickable links in their signature, then include the rest of their domain names without using [url] .
      0 Not allowed!

Prior to me taking a job for the company I work for, I used my signature to display my personality, since we don't have avatars, and also to show off some NON COMMERCIAL sites. I've gotten MORE feedback on my wedding site and domain name than any other site that I've "pimped" in my sig.

I think that we do need to remove colors and make the requirements to be alpha numeric characters, but don't remove the URL and email codes. Sometimes we'd rather just have a descriptive link.

I do agree, something NEEDS to be done with these sig pimp daddies and mamas, but not sure to what extent.

/me who purposely unchecks his sig to keep all the absurd complaints at bay.

Oh, and speaking as a Mod, if I undertake a Mod action on a commercial thread, I WILL remove my sig, to not take away from the OP's moment... so qwitcherwhinin'
      0 Not allowed!

Smile

Yes, without bbcode, I am sure 100% of the people here are going to make changes to their sig to show the actual URL ~

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    I really think we should give the no code a try to see if it helps as I am sure it will. In fact I am 80% confident it will.
    Go for it ~
      0 Not allowed!

IMO, sigs add to WHT. They let me know what WHT member owns which business. I like that. I like having a sig. WHT for me is like walking around a huge room with other hosts, and seeing the name of their business on their name badge. I like that. It's just like a convention of hosts, but online.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Here's an idea that I can't take credit for. We could put something like this in the announcement for the relevant forums:

If you are looking for hosting

To find a host, you can:

- Search the Offers section of this forum [link to the relevant Offers forum]
    - Use the HostQuote link
    - Search this forum for reviews on hosts that you're considering
    - Ask for feedback about specific hosts
    - Ask for recommendations of hosts for your specific needs (please provide details)

Posts requesting hosts to make offers are not allowed, and hosts are not allowed to contact you or to post their offers in this forum.

If you are a web host

To eliminate signature spam (hosts posting fluff to get their signatures noticed), we've implemented these rules:

- You may not repeat the above advice.
    - You may not repeat what other posters say unless you add additional, useful information.
    - You may not suggest a price range or package type that you offer.
    - If you offer a particular service, you may not state that a lot of hosts offer that service.

If you have any doubts about whether your post may appear to be self-promotional, untick the "Show Signature" box before you post.

If the moderators consider your post to be signature spam, they have the option to remove your signature or to remove your post and give warning points.

The main rules also apply.

---

If we implement the above, we'll have rules with which to stop the sig spammers. It will be clear exactly what is not allowed, so they won't be able to push the boundaries any more. They and only they will have to pay the penalty for their actions.

Do you like the overall idea? If you do, what would you add, remove, or change? If you don't, why not? It's always good to see different points of view.

Thanks,
    Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

I really think we should give the no code a try to see if it helps as I am sure it will. In fact I am 80% confident it will.
    Yet, noone has presented any evidence that suggests removing vb code from sigs will prevent or greatly reduce sig pimping.

Let's face it, Dennis and Jan want vb code removed from the sigs, and this is probably what's going to happen. No matter what. Sorry for being blunt, but that's what I see happening here. Yes, I will speak my mind. I will have my say. I want to vote! Members do not have a voice unless they can vote.

I suggest this decision be made by the wider community, and not just a few (non-elected) mods. How about there be an official poll, deciding which way the community goes on this?

Yes, I am frustrated that non-elected moderators seem to think they have the power to implement and change policy, without members having the ability to vote. Where is the democracy in that? We need more than a discussion. I want to vote damnit!
      0 Not allowed!

Question:

What if we went back to the signatures that didn't allow vb code?

So no linkage in the siggah?
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by writespeak
    If you are a web host

To eliminate signature spam (hosts posting fluff to get their signatures noticed), we've implemented these rules:

- You may not repeat the above advice.
    - You may not repeat what other posters say unless you add additional, useful information.
    - You may not suggest a price range or package type that you offer.
    - If you offer a particular service, you may not state that a lot of hosts offer that service.

If you have any doubts about whether your post may appear to be self-promotional, untick the "Show Signature" box before you post.

If the moderators consider your post to be signature spam, they have the option to remove your signature or to remove your post and give warning points.

The main rules also apply.
    Lois, you've posted some really good ideas there, that really do address the issue of sig pimping.

I am all for cracking down on sig pimping, but let's do this right. Simply removing vb code from sigs, will do nothing to prevent sig pimping. Lois's above ideas will seriously address this issue.
      0 Not allowed!

Did you vote in this one?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=212628
    Firstly, that poll wasn't started by the mods, and was not an official vote as to which way the community should go.

Secondly, that poll is nearly 2 years old. It's out of date.

Thirdly, I voted yes.
      0 Not allowed!

And only 67 people voted in the topic anyway. Not even close to what I would think would be needed for it to be changed. As if it were passed with only 67 votes, when everyone's VB code or whatever is turned off, about 5,000 topics in this forum would popup and that would be a pain. (I am guessing as the size of this forum - someone would do it)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    . . . Let's face it, Dennis and Jan want vb code removed from the sigs, and this is probably what's going to happen. No matter what. . .
    May as well toss this thread, I suppose.

It serves no purpose, if we subscribe to your logic.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Let's face it, Dennis and Jan want vb code removed from the sigs, and this is probably what's going to happen. No matter what.
    Not no matter what. If they'd made a definite decision in advance, they wouldn't have encouraged this discussion. As Jan said, they'd already been discussing the problem before this thread was started.

Members do not have a voice unless they can vote.
    You're getting your voice in this thread.

Personally, I don't think that democracy is always the way to go. If the Leaders decide to remove vB code from sigs, I'll be disappointed, but I'll support the decision. Not because I'd like it, but because I've worked with them and I know that they're good at what they do. We might find out that they were right after all. And if they weren't, they'll try something else.

Yes, I am frustrated that non-elected moderators seem to think they have the power to implement and change policy, without members having the ability to vote. Where is the democracy in that?
    Who said that this forum was a democracy? With groups, I prefer consensus over democracy, but with such a large group, consensus isn't a manageable goal. If we get consensus among Leaders who have proven themselves to be capable, who know the community, and who want what's best for it, that's as good as we can get.

They are listening to us. Let's give them credit for who they are, and let them do their jobs.

Lois
      0 Not allowed!

. . . Where is the democracy in that? . . .
    It's over at WebHostingTalkDEMOCRACY.com
      0 Not allowed!

Lois, you've posted some really good ideas there, that really do address the issue of sig pimping.

...Lois's above ideas will seriously address this issue.
    I'm so glad that you like the ideas. As I said, though, I can't take credit for them.

Lois
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by writespeak
    I'm so glad that you like the ideas. As I said, though, I can't take credit for them.
    Well whoever those ideas were, they really do combat sig pimping. They are great ideas.

It has been suggested that removing the vb code from sigs, will solve the sig pimping problem. Until I see conslusive evidence of such, I remain unconvinced.
      0 Not allowed!

Well whoever those ideas were, they really do combat sig pimping. They are great ideas.

It has been suggested that removing the vb code from sigs, will solve the sig pimping problem. Until I see conslusive evidence of such, I remain unconvinced.
    Until I see conclusive evidence that disallowing vb code will not combat the issue, I remain unconvinced.

As Lois said, "We don't have evidence that any idea will or won't work."
      0 Not allowed!

This domain name IS AVAILABLE:
    WEBHOSTINGTALKDEMOCRACY.COM
    Dave
      0 Not allowed!

Ya know, Obesity is a problem in this country. What do ya say we just ban refridgerators? That'll probably help alot!
      0 Not allowed!

Well whoever those ideas were....
    If you start being nice to him in this thread, he might wave at you.

Until I see conslusive evidence of such, I remain unconvinced.
    We don't have evidence, conclusive or other, that the idea I suggested will work either.

Let's hear from more people. To combat sig spam, what do you think of:

(a) Disabling vB code in sigs
    (b) Implementing the idea suggested here
    (c) Other ideas?

Lois
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ub3r
    Ya know, Obesity is a problem in this country. What do ya say we just ban refridgerators? That'll probably help alot!
    Refrigerators aren't the problem; doors are. Lock all doors.
      0 Not allowed!

It's like this;

Food can be stored in redigerators.
    domain names can be used with bbcode
    Food can also be stored on shelves, cupboards, and even on the floor.
    Domain names can be stored without the use of bbcode.

If you really want to be effective, you could just star out domain names. But I think all domain censorship methods are overkill.

Sigs aren't the problem, useless posts are.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ub3r
    Sigs aren't the problem, useless posts are.
    Useless posts that happen to have a bright shiny signature 4 times larger than the oneliner they post.
      0 Not allowed!

But all posts made by people with large signatures aren't pointless.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Until I see conclusive evidence that disallowing vb code will not combat the issue, I remain unconvinced.
    Do you think vb code is related to sig spamming?

If so, why? What is your line of thought here?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast