Web Hosting/Design?

Any thoughts on the sucess of a website deisgn and hosting company? Ive been researching it and it seems profitable if the business is there. I know there are a lot of hosting/design companies out there but there are a lot of companies without websites also. Anyways, whats your thoughts? Is it to late to enter this market or is now still a good time?

It's hard but possible.

If you can focus on it and be professional at it, then you could make it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

To be honest the market is extremely saturated. I would search locally for business. Although the web is not impossible, it will be considerably harder. I swear web hosting has got to be one of the hardest business's to go into. Expensive hardware, expensive facilitation costs, expensive bandwidth costs, 24x7 staff which adds 16 new 8 hour shifts to pay for per week. (assuming the general company hours are 8 hours a day five days a week)

The constant threat of security holes and nasty bandwidth congesting spammers is always floating around our heads, in fact it probably haunts some people in their dreams. And for all of this, the competition for clients is extremely high. The net is saturated with millions of web hosting ads and tens of thousands of web hosting companies - Many of which start and end within a month. As more smaller companies sprout up, prices seem to go down, and resource allotment seems to go up. Way up. The profit margin is slowly closing . Simply put, it takes a long time to make your money from a web hosting company; definitely not a get rich quick biz.

This may have been an unwanted rant, but isnt it the truth :p. By no means am I trying to keep you from giving it your best, but might as well know what your up against. Now if we could only get rid of those pesky fraudulent orders...

Originally posted by Netriox
    To be honest the market is extremely saturated. I would search locally for business. Although the web is not impossible, it will be considerably harder. I swear web hosting has got to be one of the hardest business's to go into. Expensive hardware, expensive facilitation costs, expensive bandwidth costs, 24x7 staff which adds 16 new 8 hour shifts to pay for per week. (assuming the general company hours are 8 hours a day five days a week)

The constant threat of security holes and nasty bandwidth congesting spammers is always floating around our heads, in fact it probably haunts some people in their dreams. And for all of this, the competition for clients is extremely high. The net is saturated with millions of web hosting ads and tens of thousands of web hosting companies - Many of which start and end within a month. As more smaller companies sprout up, prices seem to go down, and resource allotment seems to go up. Way up. The profit margin is slowly closing . Simply put, it takes a long time to make your money from a web hosting company; definitely not a get rich quick biz.

This may have been an unwanted rant, but isnt it the truth :p. By no means am I trying to keep you from giving it your best, but might as well know what your up against. Now if we could only get rid of those pesky fraudulent orders...
    I don't know if it's quite THAT hard but it is definitely a *highly* saturated market. And with small hosts, like Netriox said, sprouting up all over the place and disappearing in the night, you can always be sure to see some pretty weird things going on.

And nowadays bandwidth/space allotment really doesn't mean all that much when you have companies offering unrealistic amounts for rediculously low pricing, it's really impossible to be competitive with a market that has no limit to how rediculous it can go.

Where you can shine is in support, and that really is the only thing that can help you stand out from all the others. And in short, just like the post above me, it's most definitely not get-rich-quick.

A great example is LiquidWeb. For those of you who don't know, LW provides dedicated servers with fully managed services - the same services that many companies charge hundreds of dollars extra for. I salute LW