Subdomains on Windows VPS

Hello,

I think this is the correct forum for my question.

I've managed to setup my (web)server completely, except for one thing isn't clear. How do I make subdomains? I've been trying some stuff out in the DNS section, but I can't figure how you connect the subdomain to a directory on the server.

Thanks for any reply!

Are you using IIS?
    Regards,
    datruesurfer

Yes I am.
    Windows Server 2003, IIS6.0

fastest way is open site with frontpage editor right click on the folder you want to be a subdomain and select create web it will turn the folder into a subdomain instantly.

or open iis click on sharepoint team services , click on domain in question open it with sharepoint the schrol down and it has a link to create subdomain simple 123

Otis
    Reseller & Hosting Services

Thanks for a reply,

I don't have frontpage installed on the server, so the first won't work. Or do you mean the "Web Sharing" tab in the folder properties? I tried enabling sharing but that didn't work either.

For the second, I don't have Sharepoint team services. I googled and got to this page: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...t/default.mspx
    Is that what I need to have the sharepoitn team services?

Thanks!

windows2003 comes with sharepoint extensions already in stalled.

What you need is sharepoint extensions only, actually you don't even need that to make a subweb with frontpage, however if you did not install the sharepoint extensions, put your w3k cd in the cdrom drive and click on my computer install programs, windows programs and find the sharepoint extensions and click install

otis

You're being led totally astray by the replies about subwebs, FrontPage, and SharePoint  (those are all interesting services but suggesting you go that way is like saying you need to buy a cow just to get a glass of milk.  And, ironically, no one answered you real question anyway.)

If your question is how do you host multiple independent websites on a single IIS webserver and how do you do that by using subdomains instead of using a separate full domain for each site, then this is the answer:

To host multiple sites on a single IIS webserver, you need to specify host headers using the IIS/MMC console.  Each website hosted on the server has a unique identification which is the combination of THREE things:

The IP address (servers always have one fixed IP, often many more)
    The Port number (Port "80" is the standard/default port for websites)
    The Host Header (text field which is usually the domain name)

The combination of all three must be unique for every site on your server.  But you can have duplication in two of the three fields.

In simple terms - you can host multiple sites on your server using a single IP address and default port 80 as long as each site has it's own Host header text.

For domain hosting, the host header is www.domainname.com

For subdomain hosting, the host header is anything.domainname.com

This gives you two sites:
    http://www.domainname.com
    http://anything.domainname.com

To accomplish this, you must also configure your DNS server with host records ("A" records).  you need two records.  One for "www" and one for "anything".

The trick to understanding all of this is to realize that there is nothing magic or special about "www".  It is just by convention that the majority of sites use "www" as the subdomain name so the site name is www.domainname.com

It is perfectly legitimate to use anything as the subdomain such as mysite.domainname.com

The only reason subdomains are avoided is because non-computer people get confused and don't understand their use.  They will try to put a "www" on the front of anything so they try to go to your site by using http://www.mysite.domainname.com and it doesn't work.

(Actually, you CAN configure your dns and host headers so that works too, but that's a more advanced topic.)
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

Thanks for the replies.

I prefer an option to do it in Windows itself, it must be possible. I can't imagine that you need a 3rd party program just to make the subdomains.

When setting up the dns, I noticed that the www is just a subdomain yeah, the problem is, I redirect the www to domain.org. but where do I redirect another subdomain to then?

Thanks!

The instructions I gave do not require any third party program, so I'm not sure where you see any other program required.

Originally posted by BEScorpion
    Thanks for the replies.

I prefer an option to do it in Windows itself, it must be possible. I can't imagine that you need a 3rd party program just to make the subdomains.

When setting up the dns, I noticed that the www is just a subdomain yeah, the problem is, I redirect the www to domain.org. but where do I redirect another subdomain to then?

Thanks!
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

I know, and thanks for those, but the problem is that I don't have the windows 2003 cd since I'm using a vps.

Isn't it possible to do it through the DNS section?

You do not need the Windows CD.  You only need the IIS management console.

Of course, I would question why your VPS provider hasn't given you the ability to install any desired Windows operating system optional modules.  That is not really giving you full control of a system.

In our Windows Virtual Machines, we provide a copy of the "I386" folder on the system hard drive so installation of any operating system add-ons that request the CD can simply be pointed to the disk folder instead.

Originally posted by BEScorpion
    I know, and thanks for those, but the problem is that I don't have the windows 2003 cd since I'm using a vps.

Isn't it possible to do it through the DNS section?

I'm sorry, but your earlier suggestion of using FrontPage to create a "subweb" is entirely different from creating a completely independent subdomain website.

A subweb is a subset of an existing website and it is a FrontPage-specific construct.  A subdomain is a completely separate website that is not dependent upon FrontPage administration and is a standard capability of IIS and DNS.

Originally posted by templaters
    I could solve your problem in the blink of an eye

templaters

Okay, this is my DNS:

Name Type Data
    (same as parent folder) Start of Authority (SOA) [29], <domain>., hostmaster.
    (same as parent folder) Name Server (NS) ns2.<domain>.
    (same as parent folder) Name Server (NS) ns1.<domain>.
    (same as parent folder) Host (A) <secondip>
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger (MX) [10] mail.<domain>.
    mail Host (A) <firstip>
    ns1 Host (A) <firstip>
    ns2 Host (A) <secondip>
    www Alias (CNAME) <domain>
    subdom Host (A) <secondip>

When I would go to subdom I would just go to the main site, what do I do to create subdomain? Thanks

If you want a sub domain it has nothing to do with dns i have been certified on windows for years contact me i will help

You and these guys are turning a very simple thing in to a complex issue, which it is not.