Question Domain Name Theft Prevention

Domain Name Theft Prevention

Does anyone have any suggestions or guidelines for Domain Name owners in regards to prevent someone else from stealing their already registered name?
    I believe that everyone on this forum would benefit from such information.

Thank you very much.

Keep your whois info up to date. Most problems can be solved if old whois records show you as the proper owner.

Re: Domain Name Theft Prevention

Originally posted by muzer
    Domain Name Theft Prevention

Does anyone have any suggestions or guidelines for Domain Name owners in regards to prevent someone else from stealing their already registered name?
    I believe that everyone on this forum would benefit from such information.

Thank you very much.
    I would suggest the following.

1. Do not use a free email account for your administrative control

2. Place your domain name(s) on Registrar-Lock

3. Keep your whois current

-Tom

Question Secure Registrars

Thank you for the suggestions.

How can I tell that one registrar is more secure than other?

I'd go by reputation. I've never had a problem with eNom, and I've heard good things about Moniker.

Just research as much as you can, muzer. Check this forum and
    others, ask your relatives/friends/acquaintances, etc.

Among the many registrars I've researched, though, Moniker's
    focus is keeping domains with them as secure as possible. But if
    you're going to ask Moniker or any registrars what their security
    measures are, they won't tell you.

I would have to agree with tom, also if you registrars offers a restrict login to a specific IP address like regfly does go for it. This is another layer of assurance
    Domain Maven

as the guys said, reputation and make sure to lock ur name and never use free email

sometimes whois protection service also add one more layer of security
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Thumbs up

Thanks everybody!

Dmaven:
    I am not sure what do you mean. I checked registerfly.com to find out more about this security option, but did not find any details.

Originally posted by dmaven
    ...if you registrars offers a restrict login to a specific IP address like regfly does go for it. This is another layer of assurance

Once you create an account

go to Myprofile->security Options->manage secure range

Enter your IP address or range. It will only allow logins from computers that match that IP address
    Domain Maven

Once you create an account

go to Myprofile->security Options->manage secure range

Enter your IP address or range. It will only allow logins from computers that match that IP address
    very nice feature!

yet kinda risky for newbies, does it have auto detect to detect the user's IP and add a range or so?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Also, be careful with your domain name accounts. Secret questions are often easy to figure out, don't answer the question given - just give another answer.

Same as the other guys said, don't use any free email accounts or email accounts on the domain itself.

Also use a good anti-virus scanner on your PC. You may have downloaded a trojan or keystroke recorder not realizing it. There are many cases where the userid/pwd of sites you visited are saved and sent to criminals
    Domain Maven

Another thing I thought of--what if you have all of your domains at one registrar, then someone hacks that and changes all of the nameservers?

eMail verification is as good as gone. If you'd rather not use a phone, spreading domains between two or three registrars could be another good idea (and keeping each login/pass different).

Also, even if you're careful enough to make the password for your domain name a random series of letters and numbers, if the password for your admin contact email address is "password" or "qwerty" then your domain's password isn't really protecting you. Most cases I've seen of domain theft actually involved someone hacking the admin's email address then doing a password request on the domain, NOT hacking the domain interface iteself.

Originally posted by Bashar
    very nice feature!

yet kinda risky for newbies, does it have auto detect to detect the user's IP and add a range or so?
    Yes, it shows you the IP address that you are coming from. This is helpful to make sure you enter the correct code
    Domain Maven

thanks for the great information.

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you everybody for all your input.
    What a great forum.

And let's not forget NEVER let anyone manage your domain names(a friend, webmaster etc). This is always a bad situation
    Domain Maven

And let's not forget NEVER let anyone manage your domain names(a friend, webmaster etc). This is always a bad situation
    Oooooh yes. Great reminder, dmaven.

I cannot tell you how many people have let a friend have access to the management panel of their domain, only to have a falling out. The owner of the name suddenly finds that their domain is now with another registrar completely. I've actually had to "Dr. Phil" a few of these arguments in conference calls, and have been successful in getting them back for our customers most of the time without them having to go to court.

The ones that tend to be the least successful are spouses going through a divorce, and one takes control of the domain away from the other. That situation is NOT pretty.

I have also had to get involved with this matter. You cannot be too trusting.
    Domain Maven

Fabulous information and recommendations