Apple's Announcement

Live from the BBC Studio via Stuff Magazine:

We're now sitting in the auditorium at BBC Television Centre, watching Steve Jobs live on stage in California via a satellite link-up.

Here's what Steve Jobs has got to say...

- Act 1 is the iMac. The all-new iMac has three new features: it's thinner, it's got an iSight videocamera built in and new app called Photobooth. Finally, there's a new app called Front Row. (see below for more)

- Act Two:the iPod. Apple has shipped over a million Nanos in less than five weeks. Now, it's the NEW white iPod - and yes it does video! The format is similar to the old pod but with a bigger screen - a 2.5in TFT display with 320x240 pixels with realtime decoding of MPEG 4 and H.264 video. It's only got 260,000 colours but it does have video output to connect to TV.

- The video iPod is available in 30 and 60 GB capacities - and both are thinner than the current 20GB Pod. 30GB will be $299, 60GB will be $399. UK prices will be confirmed later. And did we mention it was available in black? Oh yes, and it comes with a case, so don't worry about scratches!

- Steve has demonstrated the quality of the iPod screen playing back vdeo and it really is impressive - although it's a bit of a surprise to see the Pod still has a 4:3 screen. I guess movies are a way off...

- There are two ads for the video iPod being previewed, one featuring U2 and one with Eminem (who's obviously settled his dispute with Apple).

- Act three: iTunes iTunes has an 84% market share in the US. Five weeks after the launch of iTunes 5, here's iTunes 6. Surely video downloads are the order of the day? Hell yes.

- Here are the big changes: firstly, 'gifting' - you can buy music for other people, who get an email telling them to download. Next: customer reviews - Amazon-style peer reviews of music. Third: Just For You (beta) - a recommendation service, again similar to what Amazon offers.

- and finally for iTunes... music videos. Currently there are 2000 available to buy. But they're gonna cost $1.99. And Pixar are offering 6 short films, also for $1.99. The price seems a bit high, and didn't get a cheer from the audience. The videos take the space of six songs (so about 20MB) and have the same rights management as music tracks.

iTunes 6 will be available today for free download.

AND ONE MORE THING...
    You'll be able to buy TV shows from the iTunes Music Store - Desperate Housewives, Lost and more shows from ABC and Disney. Five shows will be available to watch on iPod or computer: Lost, Desperate Housewives, Nightstalker, The Suite Life and some other Disney thang. $1.99 an episode.

- Front Row - which comes with all new iMacs - gives people a new way to enjoy your music, video and pictures from the sofa - with an iPod style remote control. It still uses the iMac's screen, but text is big and control is simple, so you don't have to be hunched up in front of the screen. He's comparing the simple, small remote for Front Row with the bloated remotes from Microsoft Media Center - Apple's 6 buttons compared to Media Center's 40-plus.
    Obviously, Front Row will be the perfect way to enjoy music video bought from the iTunes Music Store 6. But is it too much to ask for a TV link?
    Steve

I dont' have a standard iPod myself, but this video version, its got me tempted. I first heard about thhis announcement a couple of weeks back or thereabouts.

Any idea what size screen they will have? Do we know that kind of detail yet?

thanks

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Wow, being able to watch videos on the Nano...kinda makes me want to upgrade. Do they offer a 40GB version of the nano? I have a 4g 40gig right now, and love it.

Originally posted by Critic
    I dont' have a standard iPod myself, but this video version, its got me tempted. I first heard about thhis announcement a couple of weeks back or thereabouts.

Any idea what size screen they will have? Do we know that kind of detail yet?

thanks

Critic,
    320 x 240. Information (including iTunes 6) is live on Apple's site.
    - Matt

We really get screwed in the UK when it comes to video downloads. $1.99 in the USA, but 1.89 in the UK... seems they are using a rather strange exchange rate! Plus we don't get access to any TV downloads, just music videos. Something tells me that the Video bit won't really take off in the UK any time soon!
    Steve

doooooooooood! apple is going nuts! only 5 weeks after already huge releases, they release things even way better!
    Eleven2 Web Hosting is helping the Red Cross
    Eleven2 Hosting - www.eleven2.com
    Help The Red Cross - www.redcross.org

Will it play avi movies?
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

Originally posted by null
    Will it play avi movies?
    Nope.

I actually wrote a tutorial on iLounge on how to go about converting videos.

Essentially, it's not trying to go after the Zen Vision or Archos AV 700. It's going after devices like the iAudio X5.

It's still a music player, with the added feature of viewing video files.
    - Matt

god damn! he really is trying to milk the market.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    We really get screwed in the UK when it comes to video downloads. $1.99 in the USA, but 1.89 in the UK... seems they are using a rather strange exchange rate! Plus we don't get access to any TV downloads, just music videos. Something tells me that the Video bit won't really take off in the UK any time soon!
    Hehe, music videos certainly wont take off in the UK whilst you have 3G mobile networks like Three offering plans like this:

20 Minutes of Video Calls
    20 Video Messages
    Unlimited music videos
    Unlimited sports videos
    Unlimited news video
    Unlimited all other video content except for Adult

all for just 5.00 per month.

I am not being funny, but Apple would have to reduce their pricing on music videos drastically to compete with this type of package. Plus, you can download all this on the move with your mobile phone, no need for a PC.

For music, the iPod will win, but in the UK at least, a portable music player video download service wont be a hit anytime soon for Apple.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Really isn't unlimited now, is it?

Do they charge you for the amount data you download? Or is it 5 pounds and download as much as your phone can hold? My phone can get 1 Gig of external store -- lots of moobies there.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Originally posted by fyrestrtr

Really isn't unlimited now, is it?

Do they charge you for the amount data you download? Or is it 5 pounds and download as much as your phone can hold? My phone can get 1 Gig of external store -- lots of moobies there.
    Unlimited amount of videos, no data limit.

The reason they dont allow adult videos is for the obvious reasons, including they make a lot of money from them, they have to protect younger users and also they are run by the likes of Playboy, who like lots of money lol.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!