Is This Extortion?

hi

Yesterday my host suspened my account without notice, due to high CPU usage.

They suggested I upgrade to dedicated server, a $110+ increase in monthly fee and 1100GB of bandwidth I don't need.

I replied immediately saying I would drop all scripts and cron jobs, and serve static content only.

Now nearly 24 hours later, I have heard nothing from them on the subject, despite my repeated requests for an answer.

They appear to be saying "pay up or never access your site again".

Is this common, and what recourse do I have here?

many thanks,

If they are gonna hold your site hostage, then not much you can do I am afraid.
    Perhaps look into a VPS solution, so you are allocated your own resources.

p.s. Hope you have a backup..
    Reseller-Network.Com
    Hsphere, DirectAdmin, or Helm. Windows 2003 & Unix Reseller,Shared,and Dedicated Hosting.
    *Multi-Homed* *Usage-Based* *Adult Content Allowed*

Yes it is common among budget hosts.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

what recourse do I have here?
    Generally the cheaper and bigger the host, the less the wiggle room. It doesn't take that much downtime to lose customers. If they are convinced your site(s) does not belong in their shared hosting environment, they will not unsuspend your account.

They should have responded to your emails though as this is arguably an urgent matter. The prolonged downtime I'm sure doesn't make you happy nor cooperative.

This is why you should always keep your own personal backups.

What you can do is if your data is REALLY important to you:

1. Pay the dedicated server fees and let them transfer your data/files to the dedicated server.
    2. Make a backup of your website, and move to a more reliable host.

I know it's the expensive route, but if the data is really important you have no other choice.

Your web host seems highly unprofessional, they should have allowed you to make a backup of your site or at least provide you with a backup. They are trying to force a decision on you, which is unprofessional in my opinion.

Best of luck, I hope your issue gets resolved

hey man, sorry to hear about all of that. i agree with Ali, it's definitely unprofessional. making a backup is key and definitely highly recommended. there's no telling what's going to happen from day to day. let us know how things go..
    and always..

best of luck!
    -z
    Eleven2 Web Hosting is helping the Red Cross
    Eleven2 Hosting - www.eleven2.com
    Help The Red Cross - www.redcross.org

It might be worth seeing if the host in question is represented here, sometimes people respond better on WHT. I know its not a support forum, but if you have tried all other options and they do have a rep, you may be able to go that route.

Have you tried calling them?

I know that hostgator contacted me once, a long time ago, about high CPU usage, i told them that i had already ordered a dedicated server, they said ok cool, and left the site online till i moved it, which was pretty nice
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

There are always 2 sides to the story... The host is responsible for protecting their business, assets and other clients first and foremost.

I agree with tree-host, I would want to see what the host in question has to say about this situation.

I think you should post who the host is for members to see and if the host is active here, they can enlighten us to their reasons.

Isn't this what WHT is all about - Web hosting talk.

I might add that this is seems to be a common occurrence with hosts jamming too many accounts on to one server.

Lyn

Like has been said there are certainly two sides to every story. But I would imagine that if your drop your usage amounts they would be willing to release your site. If not, I would move on or pay the additional fee for a dedicated server until you can bring your content under control. Just a suggestion.
    www.Crystaltech.com 24/7/365 support
    One of the largest Windows Web host in the world. Reliable service since 1997

This is not extortion. They are not "holding" your website from ransom. They are simply not allowing you to use their services unless you purchase an adequate package. You can go elsewhere if you're not satisfied with it.

It seems a bit harsh, the way they do things... but I guess this is not uncommon among cheap hosts.
    I'm not sure if you have a backup, if you do you could just move to a different host. Otherwise, bite the bullet and take them up on their... offer.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by mj4589
    This is not extortion. They are not "holding" your website from ransom. They are simply not allowing you to use their services unless you purchase an adequate package. You can go elsewhere if you're not satisfied with it.
    It may not be extortion or holding a site to ransom. It might rightfully be called a 'severe lack of communication'. A site doesn't 'normally' in one instance become a problem. Unless there is some unique circumstances like the guy who sold himself on the web, it becomes a problem over a indeterminate period of time.

The host should be looking for these sites that don't fit well with their set-up like cron jobs and advise the website owner, giving them ample time to either rectify the problem or relocate.

I can't come to terms with the 'goody goody twoshoes' that continually defend hosts regarding this. I have a hosting site and know the secret to keeping clients happy is 'communication'.

Lyn

It isn't extortion if you change hosts. I agree with Lyn, taking down a customers' site and not responding to them is not the way to 'upsell' someone your dedicated server plan.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Originally posted by BigBison
    It isn't extortion if you change hosts. I agree with Lyn, taking down a customers' site and not responding to them is not the way to 'upsell' someone your dedicated server plan.
    The host did reply. They told him to upgrade. When he said he didn't want to they stopped communicating, basically telling him to "go away" unprofessionally. But, like I said, he can just go somewhere else.

they stopped communicating
    Stopped communicating? Sport we never started.

I had to almost beg someone on their forum to look at my ticket.

I offered to serve static only content.

(the high CPU usage was probably triggered by some test scripts out of cron - not needed and could be stopped in 1 minute.)

They ignored it.

I drew attention to their own TOS which clearly state that I should be moved to a semi-dedicated server - not fully dedicated.

They ignored it.

I enquired if I can retrieve some data.

They ignored it.

There has been no communication - just a monolog.

Put us out of our misery. Tell us the host as it sounds like we need to steer clear of them.

Sadly, it is a common occurence these days.

Lyn