Evangelist

I did a quick search for previous topics about this, but couldn't find something like what im about to ask, maybe i missed it.

Do you think that Evangelist is the sort of term that should be used in the titles on the forum?

Personally, i had never heard the word before, so when it came up under my name, i thought i should do a quick lookup for it. The results for me seem like it was a religious term, perticually christian. Now forall i dont follow any perticular religion, i do feel that no religion should be pushed around forums and the such.

WHT actualyl shocked me with this one, i just thought, how are people who feel stongly about their religion, when they are not christian, going to feel when they get 'Evangelist' under their name, espically when Evangelist shows up with the floowing dictionary entries.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    often Evangelist Any one of the authors of the four New Testament gospel books: Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.

One who practices evangelism, especially a Protestant preacher or missionary.

Anyway, i really jsut want to ask someone with the power to amke changes to look at this, and see if they understand my point.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!
      0 Not allowed!

I've never seen it raised.

I've always liked that particular title.

It's fairly uniquely WHT.

And, I've never considered it a religious title. But, more an evangelist being the bearer of good tidings.

[edit]
    ** Note to self:

Spell check. Then click Submit.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 10-12-2005 at 09:18 AM.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Indeed, that has been a title for as long as I remember. Strange that someone suddenly reads something into it after all this time Especially given the various different religious groups on this board.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

I probably wouldnt of said anything, but i didnt have a clue what it ment till i looked it up, maybe im not the only one that doesnt know, or maybe theres a meaning of it that dictionary.com doesnt have
    Search is your friend!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I've always liked that particular title.
    I've always disliked it.

And, I've never considered it a religious title. But, more an evangelist being the bearer of good tidings.
    The dictionary definitions are almost all of a religious nature. The adjective form, evangelical, includes this definition along with the religious ones:
    Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous: an evangelical liberal

It's often used in a negative way outside religion, as in this example:

Why is it that people who've given up smoking become so evangelical and intolerant of other smokers?
    -----

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Strange that someone suddenly reads something into it after all this time.
    Maybe some people have had a reaction to it all this time but haven't brought up the subject. I mentioned it once in this post, and while I said it in a joking way, I was serious about wanting to get past that title ASAP. However, I found another way to avoid it.

It probably depends on your background. If you don't know what the word means and don't look it up, it won't bother you. If you have positive or neutral connotations of it, it's OK. But evangelist can also have a negative meaning, and the word is usually (but not always) tied to one religion.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

A lot of big tech firms these days have high ranking staffers titled something like "Technology Evangelist." Microsoft has an Evangelism Team, and Bill Gates himself currently identifies himself as Microsoft's Chief Software Evangelist.

So while the dictionaries may not have caught up with this usage, it's become a somewhat common term in technology-related industries. I've always thought of WHT's usage of it as being in that context.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JayC
    So while the dictionaries may not have caught up with this usage, it's become a somewhat common term in technology-related industries. I've always thought of WHT's usage of it as being in that context.
    OK, that makes sense.

However, the other meanings of the word are still in people's heads. When I read your post, I was reminded of my reaction to the word service used as a verb. It's becoming common as a verb with the meaning of "to provide services to." But as someone who practically grew up on a horse farm, the word has a different meaning for me. See the 4a verb meaning at dictionary.com.

When I see a company slogan something like "We will service you," my reaction is not positive. I also have a negative reaction to "evangelist" in the titles here. Both words have newer meanings in addition to their long-time meanings, but people are still going to react to their long-time meanings when they know them.

Lois

0 Not allowed!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelist

By metaphorical extension, evangelism may also refer to any form of recruitment or spreading-the-word for a group or movement seen as ideological or committed: hence, for instance, open source evangelism.

I would consider web hosts to be ideological and/or committed.

Or maybe it's just that they should be committed.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't particularly like it myself, in fact that's why I have been posting little, trivial comments in threads in the lounge. I can't wait to get to whatever the next title is.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Indeed, that has been a title for as long as I remember. Strange that someone suddenly reads something into it after all this time Especially given the various different religious groups on this board.
    Yeah, I've never given that title a second thought, in all my years here. heh.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by catfished
    I don't particularly like it myself, in fact that's why I have been posting little, trivial comments in threads in the lounge. I can't wait to get to whatever the next title is.
    Well if you post trivial comments to increase your post count your next title could read "Account Disabled".

I don't think its too big of a deal, WHT isnt the first place I've seen it used, and it certainly won't be the last. If you don't like it don't look at it
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by adb22791
    Well if you post trivial comments to increase your post count your next title could read "Account Disabled".

I don't think its too big of a deal, WHT isnt the first place I've seen it used, and it certainly won't be the last. If you don't like it don't look at it
    Thank you for the heads up adb22791. Maybe I should reword my comments: I have made several short posts that I probably would not have made if not for this but they were on topic and in some cases actually contributed to the topic.
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

Hey tree-host,

I have bad news for both of us: In case you weren't aware, our next title will be "Web Hosting Evangelist" I can't believe it! I guess it breaks at 425 or 450 post count?
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

Guess you can't win!

Posts Status
    0 New Member
    2 Newbie
    30 Junior Guru Wannabe
    100 WHT Addict
    175 Junior Guru
    250 Web Hosting Guru
    350 Aspiring Evangelist
    450 Web Hosting Evangelist
    550 Web Hosting Master

A custom title is available after 550 posts AND 90 days of membership.
      0 Not allowed!

So looks like i need 550 posts
    Search is your friend!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by tree-host
    So looks like i need 550 posts
    Yep. Then you can go with the perfect title, "Not an Evangelist."
      0 Not allowed!

an evangalist is someone who preaches the gospel to the world forcefully. It is a christian term. But you could see it as it meaning someone who is spreading the word of WHT's gospel. I'm not religious i know this cause my mums a born again penticostal.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by maddudemike
    But you could see it as it meaning someone who is spreading the word of WHT's gospel.
    That's a problem IMO. I like WHT a lot, but I don't consider anything here (or in any other forum for that matter) to be "gospel." That and "evangelist" are related. Having that word under my username made me feel like I was supposedly spreading WHT's gospel with a religious fervor. Obviously it doesn't have the same connotations to everyone, but some of us don't like to be connected with that word unless we choose that connection ourselves.

Lois

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by writespeak
    That's a problem IMO. I like WHT a lot, but I don't consider Having that word under my username made me feel like I was supposedly spreading WHT's gospel with a religious fervor.
    I think that's just taking it all a little too seriously. The titles were created with the intent to be a bit lighthearted and even humorous. After all, who is really going to see themselves as a "Junior Guru Wanabee?'
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JayC
    I think that's just taking it all a little too seriously. The titles were created with the intent to be a bit lighthearted and even humorous. After all, who is really going to see themselves as a "Junior Guru Wanabee?'
    As you might have noticed, I like to play. But I'm sometimes very serious, and I'm very aware of how words can affect people. "Evangelist" is a loaded word.

Lois

0 Not allowed!

. . . "Evangelist" is a loaded word.

Lois
    Is it more loaded than "Addict?"
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Well! Maybe.

It probably depends on the person. We use addict in a lot of light ways. Dictionary.com gives this definition, among others:

someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction; "a golf addict"; "a car nut"; "a news junkie" [syn: nut, freak, junkie, junky]
    We use the same word to talk about the drug addicts on our streets and being addicted to chocolate. They aren't the same, of course.

If I'd had plenty of up-close experience with people whose lives are being ruined because of their addictions, this word would be more loaded to me. I haven't, though, and addict has a lighter everyday use than evangelist does.

Lois

0 Not allowed!

Yes, very much so in my opinion. Like writespeak said, we use addict in a lot of light ways. I even have a page on one of my sites entitled "Carp Fishing Addict".
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

. . . If I'd had plenty of up-close experience with people whose lives are being ruined because of their addictions, this word would be more loaded to me. I haven't, though, and addict has a lighter everyday use than evangelist does.
    I guess that would depend on the individuals "experience". To me the word evangelist means to preach something. I guess the inference with WHT's use, is to spread the word about hosting.

I haven't been hurt by religion (etc), but if someone was, and they're carrying deep scars, the word evangelist would mean something different to them.

There are many uses for the word, but according to my culture, it does lean towards a religious meaning.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •
      0 Not allowed!

it does lean towards a religious meaning.
    It does, but personally I don't see what's wrong with that. If it was "Aspiring to Hosting Nirvana" I would have no problem with it either. Political correctness has to stop somewhere, and this is where it stops IMO.
    I haven't been hurt by religion (etc), but if someone was, and they're carrying deep scars, the word evangelist would mean something different to them.
    Should we stop using the word "muslim" in public because someone might have lost a close one to fanatics of this particular religion? No.
      0 Not allowed!

As this is the first complaint thread that we have had since the title was introduced years ago, I don't really see a good reason to keep it open any longer. If someone wants to start a thread about a totally new set of titles, then go ahead
      0 Not allowed!