Problems with hosting and deciding what to do next

I am in the UK and have just started hosting with WebFusion but am experiencing endless problems with ridiculous downtime and support not answering the phone.

So I am thinking of changing hosting and/or moving away from shared hosting, but how do I know which web hosting companies are good?

Would using a hosting company based in another country (e.g. US) slow down upload/download times? Most of my site visitors are UK based, I upload from all over the world. Lots of the US companies seem to be much cheaper than UK companies!

I have 7 running websites which generally get several hundred visitors a day but for a few months a year this is in the thousands. If things go well this will increase and increase. I really cannot afford downtime, is it worth switching to VPS? I'm not sure I could go for a dedicated web server as I have no experience with managing these systems, or is it viable that I could learn as I go along? Are there any companies that offer dedicated servers that they manage for you (is this 'managed hosting')? I am aware this is probably extortionately expensive.

Lastly, my sites are asp pages, mostly articles from a MySQL database. They are currently running on a linux server with chillisoft installed. If I upload them to a Windows Server will they still work? Is it true that asp pages will run better on a Windows server?

I'm not quite sure what to do, if I change hosts again I'm going to get another 24-28 hours downtime. I would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer!

why would you have 24-48 hours downtime, no good reason for that, get your host to help you with the move, should be pretty seemless, worst to expect data differences between the 2 boxes when fully completed. I hate to suggest a windows box but asp runs more efficiently in its native environment. My "real " suggestion is to convert your pages php and leave the asprin at home. There are hosts floating around here from UK that get high marks, bear rings a bell, but keep looking. We are in California with a few guys in UK rave about the speed but you will just need to try out a few different sample boxes to see what is faster for you. What kind of connection are you on where you are at, is it pretty quick, I am interested in seeing how fast sites are from various places after some retarded service said a box we have rankd 404 out of 404 throughout the world - sounds like a glitch on there side, or we were compared to some smoking boxes.
    Server$Hit.com Reseller/Hosting For Real People
    WebHostingAccess Trial Accounts Upon Request
    www.ForALaugh.com Get over IT Get over yourself
    Yahoo IM: concreteseller | Toll Free Support: 1-888-603-5305 | Like the Maytag repairman

ASP does run better on a windows server then on a linux server. VPS might be the step in the right direction, and later on you can also upgrade to a managed dedicated server once you have outgrown the VPS.

WebFusion has been getting a lot of negative feedback lately regarding their downtime. Another 24-48 hours of downtime is better than having constant downtimes on a daily basis

Best of luck!

All depends on resources consumed by your 7 sites tonymillion.

You could well get by on a multiple domain hosting plan before a VPS. Any idea of how much space and traffic involved?

Are there any companies that offer dedicated servers that they manage for you (is this 'managed hosting')?
    Yes, there are companies offering that. You need to make sure how managed is defined though, as almost each host has its own definition for it.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Yes, there are companies offering that. You need to make sure how managed is defined though, as almost each host has its own definition for it.
    Indeed. One of the best "managed" server offering I've seen is at www.httpme.com
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business