10mbps unmetered for file server appropriate?

Hi all,

Newb here. Hope you guys can help.

I want to host a lot of video files that will be download by [potentially] a lot of people, most likely at the same time.

Would a 10mbps unmetered be suitable for this? It really will be basically 1 page with links to the videos.

Say, for example, 10 or 15 people download the same file at the same time. What will the expected download rate be for each presuming they had a good cable connection? How about 30, 40, etc. people?

I was looking at jhservers.com's 10mbps unmetered...got any other recommendations for a file server?

My budget would be around $80-$100. Also, since it is just downloading files, would having a powerful processor/lots of RAM be a necessity? Or would a Celeron with say 512MB RAM be plenty?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again,

James

The speeds should be decent, however obviously a 100mbit uplink would make much bigger difference but would more then likely have you ending up with high overage fees. Sounds like a great solution to start. As far as the hardware you mentioned, it should be able to handle it well. I am sure you can always upgrade if you "out grow" you r setup.

- Good luck.

10-15 people should be fine. But if you do it as a BT Tracker, it would be better.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Thanks for the replies!

Re: 10mbps unmetered for file server appropriate?

Originally posted by jamyam
    Hi all,

Newb here. Hope you guys can help.

I want to host a lot of video files that will be download by [potentially] a lot of people, most likely at the same time.

Would a 10mbps unmetered be suitable for this? It really will be basically 1 page with links to the videos.

Say, for example, 10 or 15 people download the same file at the same time. What will the expected download rate be for each presuming they had a good cable connection? How about 30, 40, etc. people?

I was looking at jhservers.com's 10mbps unmetered...got any other recommendations for a file server?

My budget would be around $80-$100. Also, since it is just downloading files, would having a powerful processor/lots of RAM be a necessity? Or would a Celeron with say 512MB RAM be plenty?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again,

James
    You should be able to accomplish this with the specs and price you mentioned.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-13-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Re: Re: 10mbps unmetered for file server appropriate?

Originally posted by HiVelocity
    You should be able to accomplish this with the specs and price you mentioned.
    Great. I was actually looking at your Celeron 2.4 deal with 10mbps unmetered.