Question Her Web Host Problems?

I am new to this forum, and wondered if anyone else has their site hosted by Her Web Host and if they are having problems? Mine started on Thursday night, when Her Web Host charged me 3 times (once for each of my 3 accounts) for amounts supposedly due in Feb. '05. The only problem was that I had already been billed and charged for these amounts IN Feb. '05. I called their 800# 3 times that day, got an answering service, and left a message, as well as opened a ticket with their virtual support center. I also e-mailed billing & the owner, all with no response.

On Friday night, Her Web Host made 3 more charges, this time for amounts supposedly due in March '05. Once again, these had already been invoiced and billed in March. I called again - got the answering service - and sent e-mails. Still no reply. Called 2 more times that day - still got an answering service.

I called my bank and had them put a block on the card in case Her Web Host tried again to charge me on Sat. night. Sure enough, they tried to charge me 3 more times Saturday, tried again on Sunday, and again last night, each time advancing a month on the invoice (i.e., 4/05, 5/05, 6/05).

All calls to the company have been forwarded full time to the answering service according to the frustrated girl on the other end of the line who says all she is getting are calls from upset customers regarding unauthorized charges, and the fax number has been disconnected.

Looks like they took the money and ran - could I possibly be wrong? I would like to think I am wrong, but their complete and utter lack of response makes it look to me like they've closed shop. I'll be disputing the charges from Thurs. and Fri. tomorrow - have to wait until they post to my account tonight before I can do that, but it still burns me that they did this.

Has anyone else here had problems with them?

Submit a Helpdesk ticket as well as email the owner and tell her that you're going to be doing chargebacks on all of the erroneous credit card charges (outline all of the charges). That should get her attention, as most card processors charge the merchant $25 per chargeback as well as the amount of the charge.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Smile Re: Her Web Host Problems?

Originally posted by auctioneerswife

I called my bank and had them put a block on the card in case Her Web Host tried again to charge me on Sat. night. Sure enough, they tried to charge me 3 more times Saturday, tried again on Sunday, and again last night, each time advancing a month on the invoice (i.e., 4/05, 5/05, 6/05). ....

Blocking them from making any further charges to your CC may not be the most effective approach to this issue. I'd recommend calling your bank, inform them that you want to change your credit card account number.

Or try contacting Herwebhost again to resolve the issue at hand.

Have a great day.

That should get her attention, as most card processors charge the merchant $25 per chargeback as well as the amount of the charge.
    Not to mention the effect they have on their record with the bank...
    Blocking them from making any further charges to your CC may not be the most effective approach to this issue.
    Sounds interesting, and I would like to know the reason why.

Re: Re: Her Web Host Problems?

Originally posted by elijah
    Blocking them from making any further charges to your CC may not be the most effective approach to this issue. I'd recommend calling your bank, inform them that you want to change your credit card account number.

I don't understand. If they are blocked from being able to charge anything else - what is cancelling the card going to accomplish?

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Blocking transactions from them is effective, there is no need to cancel your credit card because of this in my opinion.

I hope you get your issue resolved

Smile Re: Re: Re: Her Web Host Problems?

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    I don't understand. If they are blocked from being able to charge anything else - what is cancelling the card going to accomplish?

--Tina
    I suggest you read the "quote" below....

----
    Originally posted by auctioneerswife

I called my bank and had them put a block on the card in case Her Web Host tried again to charge me on Sat. night. Sure enough, they tried to charge me 3 more times Saturday, tried again on Sunday, and again last night, each time advancing a month on the invoice (i.e., 4/05, 5/05, 6/05). ....
    ----

Herwebhost tried to charge her on several occassions, eventhough her CC has been blocked.

I suggest, changing the CC number to a new one, that should solve the issue.

Have a great day.

Tried to, or successfully charged?
    Maybe herwebhost tried to charge her, but the block denied it.
    --

Originally posted by MStar
    Tried to, or successfully charged?
    Maybe herwebhost tried to charge her, but the block denied it.
    Exactly what I was thinking. If the company is blocked from charging any longer, there's no need for a different card. They can try all they want, but notifying the bank of what's happening and blocking HerWebHost should be enough..unless I'm missing something.

To the original poster, best of luck to you! I hope you get this sorted soon!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Her Web Host Problems?

Originally posted by elijah
    I suggest you read the "quote" below....

I did. It said they TRIED to charge him again. If the bank did their job, they blocked any further charges. Cancelling the card is overkill.

--Tina

Smile

I agree but the original poster seem to be bothered by it.

----
    ...Her Web Host tried again to charge me on Sat. night. Sure enough, they tried to charge me 3 more times Saturday, tried again on Sunday, and again last night, each time advancing a month on the invoice (i.e., 4/05, 5/05, 6/05). ....
    ----

That is why I said, it's much better to change the cc number for her own peace of mind.

Yes, of course he's bothered by it. It shows that something is seriously out of whack with his host and he's concerned. Cancelling the card is just plain silly, if the bank is already blocking the charges. You might as well suggest he spin around in his chair three times and chant the words "boogoo hoogoo moo" for five minutes to ward off additional credit card charges...same effect.

--Tina

I've worked with Kat before, she's not really the type to "Take the money and run" At least I didn't think so

Sounds like some problems with her billing software gone nuts. Not likely a deliberate attempt to rob her customers.
    Red Rock Servers.
    Rock solid hosting at rock bottom prices
    http://redrockservers.net

Originally posted by frdalton
    I've worked with Kat before, she's not really the type to "Take the money and run" At least I didn't think so

Sounds like some problems with her billing software gone nuts. Not likely a deliberate attempt to rob her customers.
    That's what it sounds like to me, too. The real problem here is that you can't get the support you need. This could have been resolved if you were actually able to talk to someone, and you wouldn't be here talking about it. Her web host has been around for a while, I doubt they are crooks.
    Quality Web Hosting
    Poor servce? Uptime problems?
    We can help.
    Business Oriented Hosting

They changed their support a little while back. I haven't heard anything about their new support since then. It used to be very easy to get through to them, But judging by the sound of this issue, it's not too great anymore.

They used to have a live chat available on their site but after doing some digging around it looks like it's gone now.
    Red Rock Servers.
    Rock solid hosting at rock bottom prices
    http://redrockservers.net

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post - the block has been successful (so far) in keeping them from charging my card; however, the bank also said that if they try to force the charges through they will go through.

I FINALLY found an obscure e-mail address for Kat on a parenting site, and sent her an e-mail last night, indicating that I was going to contact the Attorney General in her area if this problem was not corrected. Guess what? Within a short time, I had an e-mail from her, along with 3 MORE INVOICES, this time dated due July '05!

She stated that her company had sent out an e-mail detailing their billing problems with instructions on how to request a refund. She also stated that she was sorry I felt I had to go to such extremes rather than reply to the e-mail. Well, hello, if I had gotten the e-mail, I would have replied! Apparently I'm not the only one who didn't get it since the answering service said all they are getting is irate customers with billing problems. She also stated that if I initiated a chargeback, her company would initiate collection proceedings against me - FOR FRAUDULENT (yes, I consider them fraudulent at this point, since she is threatening to have a collection agency come after me for charges that are NOT DUE TO HER!) CHARGES!?!?!

I replied that I had not initiated the chargeback yet, and that I want a copy of that supposed e-mail. I have all e-mails that were sent to me over the past 3 weeks (haven't done a mailbox cleanup yet), and the only thing in my box from Her Web Host is 18 invoices, 6 of which were charged to my account without my authorization. I also told her that I was apparently not alone in not receiving this e-mail, and I did not understand why I had to dig up an obscure e-mail address (found with a google search of her name) and mention the Attorney General in order to get a response.

I have been a longtime customer of Her Web Host and, up to this point, had no real complaints. I never thought that this kind of problem would happen, especially when I have not had a problem before. I thought at first there was a system glitch; however, when your complaints go unanswered and they continue to try to charge you, you have to wonder what in the heck is going on. There is absolutely no customer service in place at this point - e-mails go unanswered, tickets are not handled, phone calls go to an answering service, and the fax is disconnected. To an outsider looking in, there's some kind of trouble brewing, and if there's not, then she needs to get her house in order. Merchants have a responsibility to be honest and ethical, and ignoring customer concerns and charging credit cards without authorization is not ethical at all.

Sorry I'm rambling....I guess I'm just frustrated at this point.
    Last edited by auctioneerswife; 10-12-2005 at 06:58 AM.

She also stated that if I initiated a chargeback, her company would initiate collection proceedings against me - FOR FRAUDULENT (yes, I consider them fraudulent at this point, since she is threatening to have a collection agency come after me for charges that are NOT DUE TO HER!) CHARGES!?!?!

LOL that was good for a laugh, me personally I would chargeback on her and tell her to "fill her boots" on sending me to collections as you have apparently paid all your invoices plus 6 additional ones with what looks like 12 pending. If she had that much of a billing problem then she should/would have shutdown /suspended/put on hold whatever software/company that is/was causing the problem. I love it when someone drops the ball and then trys to "bully" others into accepting that they are doing them wrong. Edited to add:
    If you haven't found another host yet I would do that with haste.
    Last edited by Dawzz; 10-12-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Talk to your bank and explain the situation. Ask them if what she threatened you with is even legal. I think she's trying to bully you into NOT filing a chargeback. Chargebacks are in place so that you won't have to pay for erroneous charges to your card, once you've tried to contact the merchant and worked it out. Since you tried all of the available contact methods, to no avail, you were perfectly within your right to do chargebacks.

Tell her that if she doesn't fix the situation and refund your money within the next 3 business days, you WILL be filing a chargeback and if she sends you to collections - you will dispute it (and win) and file every consumer complaint you can.

PS: Being sent to collections isn't as scary as she'd like you to think. I recently found 3 incorrect collection marks on my credit report and simply filed an online dispute saying "These aren't valid". The collection agency then checks with the person who filed the complaint and if they don't have all of their documentation in order...they will drop the collection attempt. All you would have to do is explain the situation and I can't imagine any collection agency or credit bureau persuing it.

--Tina

Talk to your bank and explain the situation. Ask them if what she threatened you with is even legal. I think she's trying to bully you into NOT filing a chargeback. Chargebacks are in place so that you won't have to pay for erroneous charges to your card, once you've tried to contact the merchant and worked it out. Since you tried all of the available contact methods, to no avail, you were perfectly within your right to do chargebacks.

Tell her that if she doesn't fix the situation and refund your money within the next 3 business days, you WILL be filing a chargeback and if she sends you to collections - you will dispute it (and win) and file every consumer complaint you can.

PS: Being sent to collections isn't as scary as she'd like you to think. I recently found 3 incorrect collection marks on my credit report and simply filed an online dispute saying "These aren't valid". The collection agency then checks with the person who filed the complaint and if they don't have all of their documentation in order...they will drop the collection attempt. All you would have to do is explain the situation and I can't imagine any collection agency or credit bureau persuing it.

--Tina
    Thanks for the help Tina. I have thought about it and thought about it, and finally e-mailed Kat this last note:

By the way, your e-mail was followed by 3 MORE INVOICES, this time with a due
    date of 7/05. If you know you have a problem with your billing system, why
    have you not suspended use of this system until you straighten the problem out?
    You are still getting NUMEROUS calls to your answering service from upset
    customers regarding unauthorized charges, so I know I am not the only one who
    never received an e-mail from you. I'm still waiting to see a copy of this
    e-mail.....

If you fail to refund me for these
    unauthorized charges, then I WILL go ahead and initiate a dispute, and you will
    be hard-pressed to prove to any collection agency or credit reporting agency
    WHY I owe you for unauthorized charges that YOU placed on my card. If it were
    money that I actually owed you that would be one thing, but I don't owe you
    this money, and in the long run, I am sure that the collection & credit
    agencies would side with me. In fact, if I really wanted to, I could initiate
    collection proceedings against YOU for the money you have taken from me.

What is the problem with your company, and why all of a sudden are you treating
    your customers like this? You are ruining your reputation, and making plenty
    of people angry. Stuff like this is what causes class action lawsuits.

Correct your problem, send me a refund, and stop trying to charge my card.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. - I am keeping copies of all e-mails, etc. in the event that someone (BBB,
    Attorney General, FTC, SEC, etc.) need to see it.

I have communicated with several people today who have said that they are really having problems with Her Web Host - multiple charges, etc. Apparently, things have been going downhill for some time (including something to do with spammers), and now it seems that it's turned into an avalanche.

Now it's just a waiting game to see how (or even IF) she responds to this e-mail. I am switching hosts - from what I can tell, it looks like Lunar Pages is the way to go for me.

I appreciate all the help from the folks at this forum - you have been very helpful!

This is not surprising. HerWebHost is part of the Ton's empire of shady companies which use search-engine spam promotion. The parent company here is ivalueweb.com.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=358655

Template Monster's association with Ton Hosting was the subject of the above thread. To get a full picture of the Customer Service practices of these guys, one must search umpteen different hosting company names. Then a clear picture emerges which makes this thread no surprise.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Originally posted by BigBison
    ... HerWebHost is part of the Ton's empire of shady companies which use search-engine spam promotion. The parent company here is ivalueweb.com...
    When did this occur? As a former client and former reseller of HWH, I am disappointed to hear if this is true. I knew Kat from discussion lists from way back early on and she was definitely not part of anyone else's empire. Has she sold or taken on partners?

Does not really sound like Kat. It has been a few years but I worked with her when she started up her network of women's site. She seemed oraganized and honest. Part of the problem of growing larger is making sure that more employees mean better work not mis-communication.

Originally posted by Buddhalicious
    When did this occur? As a former client and former reseller of HWH, I am disappointed to hear if this is true. I knew Kat from discussion lists from way back early on and she was definitely not part of anyone else's empire. Has she sold or taken on partners?
    The problem here, is some companies don't announce their acquisitions. Don't ask me why, but IMHO there are some operators out there who are not on the level and they generally don't want it known that they've taken over. Now you have me unsure of HWH's inclusion on that list I made, but I assure you if there wasn't some connection they wouldn't have made the list in the first place, although I have been known to make mistakes.

Oops. Looks like one of those mistakes, sorry my bad, please disregard my post. I've updated my 'list'. Welcome to WHT, Buddhalicious!

Originally posted by Odd Fact
    Does not really sound like Kat. It has been a few years but I worked with her when she started up her network of women's site. She seemed oraganized and honest. Part of the problem of growing larger is making sure that more employees mean better work not mis-communication.
    I've been a LONGTIME customer of hers, basically since she opened shop way back when. I know I am not alone, because I am corresponding via e-mail right now with several people (including a reseller) who are having the same troubles. There has been absolutely no reply from Kat since her ONE e-mail the other night, and tomorrow I WILL be filing a chargeback. So much for her being organized and competent. There are NO employees that I can see at this point - my original ticket from Friday is still unanswered, and all e-mails and calls are going ignored. Honestly, I hope that everyone she has fraudulently charged files a complaint with the Attorney General....she has basically abandoned her customers, so we need to abandon her.

Yes, of course he's bothered by it. It shows that something is seriously out of whack with his host and he's concerned. Cancelling the card is just plain silly, if the bank is already blocking the charges. You might as well suggest he spin around in his chair three times and chant the words "boogoo hoogoo moo" for five minutes to ward off additional credit card charges...same effect.

--Tina
    Well said!

Well, the story seems very strange. I've never heard anything like this.
    I used to believe this was a very legit company....
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

--Tina

WELL if someone kept charging my card repeatedly (OR EVEN TRIED) I would contact my cc co. ad demand a number change as well.
    In fact this has happened to me before and they (cc bank) immediately put a stop on the number plus issued a new number without me even asking so I guess it all depends on the bank.
    Obviously this web host has went through some severe growing pains and really didnt follow up with her clients as far as HER billing problems went and IMO she should have found a way to do that.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999