Aspartame a health hazard ?

I've been reading many studies on Aspartame, for the first time a year ago and stopped eating all food products with Aspartame in them for example: Diet Sodas, Gum... am I being paranoid ?

Here's a link with more info on Aspartame related research.

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

There are many sites that make all sorts of claims about aspartame and various other products.
    Most of them have an agenda of some sort.

The truth is that any negative effects of aspartame in labratory experiments occur when the dosage is beyond human consumption capabilities.
    If you were to eat any food in these quantities it would be harmful to your health.

For instance, if you are a 180 pound male, your acceptable daily limit of aspartame would be roughly 4000mg.

To consume this much aspartame you would have to drink 24 diet sodas or about 120 packets of sweetner.

I keep my sugar intake to a bare minimum only when aspartame or sucralose / acesuflame-potassium isn't available. Taken at figures beyond your daily recommended limit, everything will be bad for you.
    --

My sister-in-law actually had what was diagnosed for a long long time as a chronic sinus infection. She dealt with 24/7 headache pain for over a year. She happened to read an article on how Nutrasweet can negatively affect some people (headaches being one of those affects). She had been drinking about 4 cans of diet soda per day and cut that out of her diet. Within a week her headache was gone.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

There seem to be a lot of stories about people with various symptoms cutting out aspartame and being better afterwards. I've even read about aspartame causing MS-like symptoms.

Personally, I don't drink any sodas anymore. I've probably had one in about the last two months, and it was a regular, not a diet soda. However, I do still chew sugar free gum. Since I've given up most of the aspartame I would normally consume, I have noticed no difference in anything.

I doubt aspartame is good for you, however, I don't believe it's harmful in small amounts. I wonder if it were really behind a lot of these symptoms, would the government allow it's sale?
    Michael MacKinnon

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    My sister-in-law actually had what was diagnosed for a long long time as a chronic sinus infection. She dealt with 24/7 headache pain for over a year. She happened to read an article on how Nutrasweet can negatively affect some people (headaches being one of those affects). She had been drinking about 4 cans of diet soda per day and cut that out of her diet. Within a week her headache was gone.

--Tina

There will always be people who are susceptible to "unnatural" products.
    Phosphates are a good example. It is most common in people with reduced immune systems and asthmatics etc.

Originally posted by blue27
    To consume this much aspartame you would have to drink 24 diet sodas or about 120 packets of sweetner.
    I really wouldn't be all that surprised if there are some people out there who do consume this many diet sodas per day, at least sometimes.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I really wouldn't be all that surprised if there are some people out there who do consume this many diet sodas per day, at least sometimes.

If they do then they deserve what they get.

I have a co-worker who does consume this much diet soda daily. Scary, huh? As with all things, too much of anything can be harmful!

Originally posted by JSpired
    I have a co-worker who does consume this much diet soda daily. Scary, huh? As with all things, too much of anything can be harmful!
    Just curious, does your industry involve sales or PR or anything similar?

For some people the dose you need to ingest is relatively minor. I can get a splitting headache from one can of diet drink containing aspartame. It impacts on my ability to think, can impact my motor skills, and impact my mood.

Frankly, the stuff is terrible. It is disgusting that it is legal given that there are healthy alternatives, such as stevia. It is a horrible, dangerous chemical that should never have been certified for human consumption.

Originally posted by -T{H}R-

Frankly, the stuff is terrible. It is disgusting that it is legal given that there are healthy alternatives, such as stevia. It is a horrible, dangerous chemical that should never have been certified for human consumption.
    That's exactly the way I feel, Aspartame was originally created to cure Stomach Ulcers it's a drug and has no place in regular food. It's a shame that when I go to the local store I can't find a pack of gun that doesn't contain aspartame.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

It is a toxic poison. Fact.

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    It is a toxic poison. Fact.
    You'll get no arguement from me. I switched to diet coke one day and ended up having three that night. The next day I was a wreck - shaking, vision all screwed up and sick to my stomach as well as having a skin irriation on my upper lip from having contact with the stuff.

Switched back to normal coke and never had the problem again.

I've heard (though haven't looked into it), that people suffering from Lupus can sometimes trace the issue back to aspartame.

http://www.lupus.org/education/faq.html
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Just curious, does your industry involve sales or PR or anything similar?
    Ironically, no.

I've heard (though haven't looked into it), that people suffering from Lupus can sometimes trace the issue back to aspartame.

http://www.lupus.org/education/faq.html
    I have Systemic Lupus and have never had an issue with this, but then again, I don't take Aspartame. Coincidentally, the site you linked to says this: "According to Dr. Hess, there is, as of now, no specific proof of an association with aspartame as a cause or worsening of SLE. "

Just saying though - I've heard of the link. I'm not claiming there's credible evidence on it, but using it as an example (apparently a bad one ) that it's been attached to a few things in regard to health issues.

I should probably research these things a little more next time.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Your post was just fine!

Lupus is one of those diseases that, because there's no direct cause, they tend to link it to anything and everything.. I did get your point and do think it has some meaning!

My one brother swears that Aspartame is the devil. He had a knee injury in highschool (football) and had knee troubles for a long time. One day he read an article on aspartame and cut it out of his diet completely (article said it caused joint pain and whatnot). He hasn't complained of joint pain since then, but that's not to say it's not all in his head.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

^^ lol.

I forgot about the vision thing by the way, ... I swear it is the cause of migraines as well - I have only ever had a few migraines and they're usually all after having aspartame.

It is the devil.

About 1 in 15,000 babies is born with phenylketoneuria (PKU). This is an inability to metabolise phenylalanine. Phenylalanine can build up to toxic levels in a person with PKU, unless they remain on a restrictive diet. Since phenylalanine is a major component of Aspartame, people with PKU must not consume it.
    Phenylalanine does not cause PKU, If you have PKU, then according to
    http://www.depts.washington.edu/pku/diet.html
    some of the foods you must avoid are milk, dairy products, meat, fish, chicken, eggs, beans, and nuts.

Although the components of Aspartamine are the same amino acids we eat all the time, I suspect that it could have some uncomfortable side effects. The potential problem is actually analogous to a problem with sugar. Because Aspartame is a pretty simple dipeptide, it would get digested and absorbed much faster than more complex proteins.

If you're a diabetic, don't drink te new Coke Zero -- that as a HUGE amount of aspartame in it. I researched it after I got a free bottle of Coke Zero. It can actually do more harm than good for Diabetics.

I'm not diabetic - nor is anyone in my direct family, but I mentioned to my husband, regarding Coke Zero, and if his grandma was still around (who was diabetic), and I could just imagine her drinking it (she use to drink caffiene free diet coke - all the time), and what it would've done for her.

Re: Aspartame a health hazard ?

Originally posted by J-P
    I've been reading many studies on Aspartame, for the first time a year ago and stopped eating all food products with Aspartame in them for example: Diet Sodas, Gum... am I being paranoid ?

Here's a link with more info on Aspartame related research.

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
    In today's society, everything's out to get ya. Those scientific studies are pretty much assuming you drink 24-25 cans of diet soda a day. Now try to imagine that with ANYTHING. Imagine if someone ate 25 TV dinners a day (those things are probably about the unhealthiest things on the planet), or even 25 big macs a day.

Just have a small amount of everything and you'll be fine. We're all going to die someday, no use worrying about if diet coke is going to make us die 1 year sooner than we would've.
    ē Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    ē 10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    ē Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Aspartame literallly makes me ill. Between the nausea, headaches, and overall ickiness it's more than enough for me to stay away from it......

Any artificial sweetener, colouring or preservative is bad for you. It wonít affect you now, of course, but it builds up and causes problems for you in later life. Sure, if you want to live for the moment then donít bother worrying, but oh well, itís your life.

One of my family members is allergic to all artificial sweeteners, colourings and preservatives. Even a tiny amount and their face swells and puffs up.

And artificial sweeteners taste awful. I can easily taste when something has sugar and when it has an artificial sweetener. Not nice at all.

Personally I only eat organic food. Itís much healthier for you. And that way your food isnít pumped full of chemicals.

that stuff besides bieng unhealthy is gross diet soda is sick so is sugerless gum

it also gives me migranes but they put it in school food so what do i do about that?