Where can I get cheap Webhosting?

Where can I get cheap hosting for a phpbb forum? I already got my domain name and ust need cheap hosting. I dont know hiw much space a forum could take, but it wont be big in the begining for sure. I chacked godaddy and canaca and more...but i dont know what exactly i need. Thanks

Requirements

MYSQL 3.22 or higher
    PostgreSQL 7.0.3 or higher
    MS SQL SERVER (7 or 2000) directly or via ODBC
    MS Access (2000 or XP) via ODBC
    PHP 4.0.3 or higher
    Last edited by Artek; 10-11-2005 at 07:18 AM.

Quick question, do you really need 4 different databases? The cheapest option would be to use a host that offers MySQL if you don't need the other 3, or even PostgreSQL. When you start using the MS products the price starts to rise due to licenses etc.

Once you decide what you need check out the offers forum and start researching the hosts!
    AMN WebTech
    We offer a variety of plans at competitive rates.
    Visit us for further details www.amnwebtech.co.uk

The problem is, i dont know what i need...I will used the phpbb software, and it says that it needs all thet, its going to be my first forum i make.

Oh.

phpBB can use EITHER one of those, it doesn't need all
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Okay, so where do you suggest i get webhosting and how much of it will i need? To begin with

ah right, I should have read your first post a little closer. It requires only one of them, the PHPBB website just lists all the ones it can use.

I think you will probably find the cheapest option would be to get shared hosting from a host that offers PHP and MySQL on Linux. These are very abundant and you shouldn't have much problem finding one.

The other thing to remember is if an offer looks too good to be true it probably is. Search around for info on the host first and don't rush into a decision. If you can draw up a short list then search for reviews here you should be ok.

Good luck in your search!

[EDIT: beaten to it!]
    AMN WebTech

Okay, now that i know i dont need ALL of those requirements, im set on canaca.com It has the best prices i found, escept im not sure if the forum will run on the cheapest Bronze plan or if i need the silver

do a search for canaca (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending)
    that will give you an idea of what they are like,

The bronze provides more than enough space and bandwidth for your forum if it's just starting out, however it sounds like major overselling to me.....
    AMN WebTech

yes, i might just go with Host Excellence. canaca makes you up up front and im broke, so that wont work out :p

Host excellence seem to have far more sustainable prices than canaca. I think the instant excellence package would provide you plenty of room for growth. The 50mb on the start package would prove quite limiting as the size of the database grows
    AMN WebTech

No, I would get the 1000mb plan

damn... Host excellence also make you pay anually...GRRRR That wont work then

i already got some at www.goodydomains.com

and that would be the second time i have seen him to that.
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

I do not think you will be needing more than 300MB of disk space and 5GB of bandwidth to begin with

Your budget should be in between $3 to $8 for that, and make sure you do some research on the host before signing up! You do not need MS SQL or MS ACCESS for phpbb boards.

Best of luck

what kind of forum is it? are you going to allow avatars? are you going to allow users to post pictures? how many users are you going to have? ... these are some questions you need to ask yourself. a 6.95 plan with many hosts can give you at least 1gb storage and around 50gb transfer, but most give 2gb storage. they also give you unlimited databases which means you can run as many message boards as you want.
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-11-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Originally posted by WN-Ali
    I do not think you will be needing more than 300MB of disk space and 5GB of bandwidth to begin with

Your budget should be in between $3 to $8 for that, and make sure you do some research on the host before signing up! You do not need MS SQL or MS ACCESS for phpbb boards.

Best of luck
    That's good advice. Take your time and research hosts, and start small. You can always upgrade your package later when and if you need more space. I recommend paying month to month so you don't get locked into anything. Keep good backups in the event you need to move the site.

I believe the budget would start at around $5/month, and usually with prizes as low as that, the host will make you sign up for a year, or otherwise pay a setup fee.
    If you go with a slightly less cheap plan (around $8-10) you might get away with paying monthly, without setup fee...

As said, go for a Unix/Linux host, with good reputation.
    Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Thank you for choosing Goodydomains.com!
    FrogJumper.com, Superb Cpanel Web Hosting.
    Excellent, High Paying Affiliate Program.