VPS or Reseller Account? Special Needs

Hi!

I am a technology advisor to an educational institution with about 2000 students enrolled. They would like to launch a couple of web based services, such as:

[list=1][*]Discussion Forum for 2000 Graduate Students[*]Ticketing based customer support help desk (for teacher/student queries)[*]Institutional website using a CMS[/list=1]

All of these use PHP/MySQL driven scripts.

Clearly, there could be times when upto 1000 students would be logged in at the same time using different online services.

I have zeroed in on using PowerVPS as their provider. However, that's not what I need advice on.

My concerns are:

Should I:

1. Get a reseller acount with PowerVPS?
    or
    2. Get a VPS account with PowerVPS?
    or
    3. Get a dedicated server elsewhere?

Any comments will be most appreciated.

Rgds
    Practico

Honestly if you are having a 1000 users online I might be tempted to go for a dedicated. I think honestly a VPS (with any provider) will end up being overloaded especially as you are running PHP/MySQL which will be taking quite a bit of resource

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

And with about 400 students online at the same time?

I would guess you would really want something with 1Gb guarenteed RAM. The more RAM you chuck at it the better

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

A VPS may not be bad, as things grow you can upgrade to higher packages and see which one works best. You can do some MySQL optimization to help deal with high traffic. VPSes are VERY scalable you can go from a VPS all the way up to a high-end Dual Opteron dedicated server (Virtuozzo powered, but single VE) with just ~ 2 minutes of downtime. In addition, you can keep the exact same IPs, data, etc. with no need to change any DNS settings.

I think VPSes are very good in this sense.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

If you know that you will have upwards of several hundred people online at any given time, I would personally go straight to dedicated.

If you are only likely to have up to 1-200 online, then a high-end VPS would suit your requirements.

Of course, without seeing the applications, or knowing exactly how resource intensive they are, all anyone can do is to give you an estimate
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

PowerVPS may be a good choice as upgrading will be a snap. Personally, I would start with 512 or 768MB RAM. From their they could easily upgrade you to a dedicated sever if needed.

i would recommend dedicated for the server.

for the online e-learning stuff, the forums, and the ticketing system, maybe you can find a content management system that does all that or just roll out the best of each one, thumbs up to http://opensourcecms.com for demos of all the free open source software out there
    Have a GD / WWD question? PM Me!
    Domains and Hosting at Airdepth.net - Free Web Software Install
    Go Daddy / WWD Reseller Stores for less at Metrodatacenter.net with Personal Support