Please help me collect Windows XP PID's

Besides building and hosting websites I have been cleaning/repairing a lot of PC's lately.

Among the most common headaches I have run into lately is either the manufacturer not sending the people a Windows XP CD or they have lost it. The only difference in a Gateway or Dell XP install CD is this PID that is tied to a group of Product Keys. I AM NOT asking for Product Keys so please be smart and don't send those. Sending a PID is completely benign and there may only be a few for every manufacturer(I have seen 2 different ones on maybe a dozen Dell's and only 1 so far for about as many Gateways).

The PID is located on the Windows XP install CD in the i386 folder in a file called SETUPP.INI.

I'm mostly interested in Sony, HP/Compaq and other OEM's. I fixed a couple of those earlier but had the CD and was not aware of the issue with PID's at the time. I want to have CD's ready when I encounter these machine in the future.

I don't think SP matters, but go ahead and include just in case:
    PID Home/Pro Regular/Upgrade None/SP1/SP1a/SP2 Retail/OEM(Manufacturer). I have a few others at work, but here is a start:
    55277OEM Home Regular SP1a Gateway
    76477OEM Home Regular SP2 Dell
    55274270 PRO CORP Regular SP2 Retail
    55274000 PRO Regular None Retail

I don't think anybody's going to give away that information for something that they purchased, especially when it could be used to pirate software.

It's completely benign information. It's not used to steal anything. I already have the software.

All this PID does is identify the manufacturer. Really, I promise.

If I get a Gateway from someone who lost their CD, but has a completely legit Product ID on Microsoft sticker on the side of their pc. I can use my own purchased perfectly legit Windows XP CD, change the PID and burn them a completely legit Gateway XP CD that they have every right to own.

I can then use that CD to repair/reinstall their computer for them.

That's all it is.

There's bit and pieces of this posted in several places on the web, but I wanted a more definitive list as it really has become an issue. I may even post the information on a website to help others.

Look at this thread for more info:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21481481.html

Looks like you have a couple from Dell already. Do you care to know that 55274 OEM is also for Dell XP Pro SP1 OEM CDs too?

I have never seen this problem whatsoever with the probably hundreds of systems I've worked on at the computer maintenance shop on my campus. We have a generic OEM windows cd, that we use for every student computer that needs to have windows re-installed, and don't have to change the PID's.

But IF he is using a manufacturer specific CD to reinstall (and it seems like he is) then he will have to change the PIDs because an HP upgrade CD won't work on a Dell.

Originally posted by Utaria-Aaron
    I have never seen this problem whatsoever with the probably hundreds of systems I've worked on at the computer maintenance shop on my campus. We have a generic OEM windows cd, that we use for every student computer that needs to have windows re-installed, and don't have to change the PID's.
    Do you use the key with your Generic OEM windows cd or the key key on the side of their computer?

Changing the PID is only needed if you want to use one manufacturers customized "OEM" CD on another system. I have updated slipstreamed OS CD's from my MSDN kit that I use to reinstall a clients OS when they can't find their CD's (provided their system has the license and key on the case) then simply use their key during the install. Have never had any issues or problems, other than the occassional person that cheated in the past and now can't get what they want. For example a system with a WinMe or XPHome certificate where the customer had XPPro running (installed by the perverbial friend)
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

My list I've collected from the web...

http://forums.crackerfest.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1047