123-Reg dedicated servers

I've been thinking of purchasing a dedicated server package for a short while and today 123 Reg sent out a notice about their new service.

The basic one for 40/mth seems like good value to me, especially being unmetered bandwidth....

- Linux
    - 2Ghz Celeron
    - 512Mb
    - 40Gb disk
    - Apache, PHP, Mysql4, all usual stuff...

They don't say what control panel or OS they're running, but not necessarily a bad thing as it looks like they take responsibility for patching and updates (unless you request root access, in which case its your own prob).

Is it worth it? Would appreciate your opinions, cheers.

Edit: helps to have a link but I can't post URLs yet. Go to 123 Reg /dedicated.shtml

Looks interesting, it'll be worth looking into.

I used to have around ten domains and a hosting account with 123reg a long time ago, seemed to be fairly average support and reliable network - but we're talking around 4-5 years ago at a rough guess

After visiting their sister site (http://www.webfusion.co.uk) it leads you to believe that both services offer the same stuff but at different prices. You'll obviously want to clear this by contacting them before signing up though

It seems that they offer Fedora Core 3 (RHEL for extra 20 per month). Control panel seems to be a custom job - http://www.webfusion.co.uk/servers/dcp.php

Here's some interesting info on what speed your unmetered connection is (remember this is taken from webfusion and not 123reg, services may be different):
    Your dedicated server will be connected to the tier one PIPEX network via a dedicated 10Mb/s switch port, leaving you free to use as much bandwidth as you need at no additional cost.

They replied to me saying they currently run FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE.

Thanks for the info chaps.

is that any setup fee ??

Hi,

I have a 123-reg server (for now) so thought I would add some feedback.

Upsides:
    *The server is low ping
    * high speed (seems to have approx 10Mb dedicated!) and is unmeetered.
    * located and seems to be exactly the same datacenter as donhosts much more expencive options
    * same control panel as donhost - with some features disabled i believe like reselling ?

The downsides are:
    * support emails take between 1 or 2 hours (average) and never (a couple of times) to reply
    * telephone support is fast but 50p/min
    * Big downside for me... you can ONLY have 2 dedicated ips. You cant even pay for more. So anyone who will need to run more than 1 HTTPS (SSL) site dont go with 123-reg.co.uk
    * Their control panel can be buggy... although you can request root access to the server so you can cercumvent it if needed (i had to)

Im personally on monthly basis (for risk reasons) and so had to pay something like 50 setup. its free setup if u want it for a year, but make sure you are sure.

In summary, I wouldnt get this as a noob and then only if you are fine with 2 IPs. Other than that its fast and so far 100% uptime.
    TME Solutions - eCommerce Web Designers - Visit our Web Design Portfolio

looks good (especially the windows one, i already have linux servers, interested in playing aroud with windows)

what sort od control panel? anybody can post screenshots?

dam it thats the 2nd time i have written that reply... i cant give a link to the control panel sorry... but its basically

donhost . co . uk / products/resellerpaneldemo/

but without the spaces.

you get a cut down version of that without access to multiple servers or billing
    (copied post this time incase it doesnt allow it Again!)

Quote Originally Posted by tmesolutions
    * high speed (seems to have approx 10Mb dedicated!) and is unmeetered.
    Yeah, I emailed them last week to ask this, and they said that the servers have a 10Mb connection.

Also they manage the servers if you dont request root access.

manage them ... slowly and for an additional fee of course :p

Im currently looking into one of their sister companies thatthey told me i should move to if i want more than 2 ips (webfusion co uk). Exactly the same servers, just more options available *sigh*

Didnt donhost join up with pipex now ?

yeh they are all the same..just different prices. cheaper = less options though

Quote Originally Posted by tmesolutions
    manage them ... slowly and for an additional fee of course :p
    They say they manage the server, unless you ask for root access, then it's up to you. At least that's what I was told, nothing about an additional fee.

I believe by manage they mean.. install updates for OS and fix hardware failures. The only time I have had to email them about their control panel screwing up, they totally ignored the email.

Expect cheap prices and slow service. Thats to be expected though.

few notes, they dont specify how many IPs they provide, so you may only get one, which is going to be a problem for nameservers if you do hosting, when i asked them, i never got a reply

They supply 2. They will not supply any additional IPs even for a charge.

So, Its fine for DNS server, but if you want multiple HTTPS sites (on the standard port) then you need a different provider

Unmetered ? That cheap ? Ugh ...

yeh but they have caused be hastle recently actually... support is naff. just so you are aware of the cost of a cheap server

Backup/Firewall

Need to bear in mind with the 123reg dedicated servers that there is no firewall option, and no backup options. No RAID on the cheapest package either so better not put your mission critical websites on there...

Part 5 of the terms and conditions on the 123reg website is definitely worth a read before signing up.

Fine if you want power problems

HostEurope (webfusion/123reg), now Pipex, are fine in some respects for dedicated servers, and we still have one server with them, however there have been a catalogue of disasters with them and our recommendation would be to stay well clear.

A recurring problem is power, and we have had least 5 or 6 serious incidents where power has been lost for hours. The following post at theregister describes a recent incident.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...ctrical_fault/

This is after everyones server at Park Royal, the closed DC where most incidents occured, had been moved to Harbour Exchange and with the promise of no more power problems. This move in itself of course meant downtime.

On every occasion, HostEurope/Pipex said that problems would never happen again, only for them to do so within a few months.

In a further incident, what should have been a simple 30 minute replacement of a hard drive with a fresh drive and the old one mounted read-only for data to be copied across, was itself a catalogue of mismanagement and disaster resulting in downtime of 24 hours. The company first had the server down for hours, then claimed that the drive data was lost beyond repair, which we knew to be entirely false. When we asked for the drive to be mounted anyway and we'd take a look, we found that the supposedly dead drive from our Unix machine was from another customers NT machine. This explained why there was no partition table meaningful to Unix. When we provided details to them of who their customer had been with the NT drive, including web logs and so on, after more downtime they managed to locate our drive, install it, and finally we were where we should have been 24 hours prior. Any company that can lose a hard drive for 24 hours during a simple drive replacement operation clearly has some serious problems, and their IVR claims of "world class internet hosting" would probably not stand up to the scrutiny of the courts were someone so inclined to put that to the test.

With there being many other hosts to choose from, both here in the UK, the rest of Europe and in the US, based on our experiences at least and from getting the "inside scoop" after talking with our former account manager when he bailed out a year or so ago, there is simply no obviously compelling reason for why anyone should choose them.
    Last edited by phpa; 02-09-2006 at 10:31 AM.