Question Critic asks :: Let's talk "water" shall we? Mineral and Tap.......;)

Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening WHTers

- What is the quality of the tap water like where you live??

- Do you drink more Mineral Water than you do tap water and if so, which brands do you prefer, what's your favourite tipple??

- Why do you do this, is it merely because the water from the tap is just the poor in taste and clarity??

- Do you filter your tap water for instance??

Personally i do drink more Mineral Water than i do from the tap, have done for a few years now. Three words which would sum up why i decided to do this are; chlorine, fluoride and qualtiy.

[color=dark-blue]Volvic or Buxton[/color] are what you're most likely to find in my fridge.

On top of that, the tap water in the Thames Area where i am is renowned for its quality of lack of it.

We did used to ahve one of those Brita water filters but that's gone now, it broke but anyway.

SO?? Comments??

Thanks

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I do NOT drink tap water. Not only does it taste like toilet water but I don't trust how clean that water really is. I prefer to only shower and bathe in that water, not drink it.

I strictly drink Zephyrhills bottled water

Don't even get me started on well water... pheeew it smells!

I drink the cheap bottled water from Costco. I'm just used to it. I use tap water to make ice tea (trying to cut down on massive soda consumption).

I drink normal tap water, but the water quality here (Wirral) is supposed to be on of the highest for both cleanlieness and taste.

If I ever drink bottled water, it is flavoured still water.

Im more a coffee/tea and Coca Cola drinker myself.

Im not really interested in water at the best of times and as for paying 80p a bottle - well people who do are mugs for paying it.

Its actually treated tap water in most of the bottles, just look at what Coca Cola did with Dasani - and the dim UK public were buying it in millions thinking it was such a different taste to tap water
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Tap Water . It's not bad round here sometimes you have really chalky tap water but round here it clean.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Originally posted by Frosty
    I do NOT drink tap water. Not only does it taste like toilet water but I don't trust how clean that water really is. I prefer to only shower and bathe in that water, not drink it.

Don't even get me started on well water... pheeew it smells!
    I dont know how toilet water tastes, and I wont ask how you know either

Up in west texas we had well water. Thats the best water I ever had. It was crystal clear and ice cold. Any well water anywhere else I have tried seems to be about like tap water without the chlorine.

Here I drinked bottled spring water. The tap water here is so damned UGH that even half the dogs wont drink it. I have to pay $25 per month plus usage, and it doesnt include garbage or sewage (we have septic). You'd think the government would require water companies to hold a higher standard of water quality.

I use Brita filtered tap water. The tap water here in Seattle is usually just fine but I got in the habit long ago using Brita and still do. I do notice a chlorine smell in our tap water very rarely on hot summer days. The biggest reason I use the filter is because there can be lead picked up from the (older) pipes in my house.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

We've got a Brita water dispenser in the Kitchen. I fill it up in the morning and then it filters and cools the water. Then when I need it just stick the cup under it and press pour.

The tap water here is ok, but I tend to go for the filtered water anyway so that the kettle doesn't get covered in limescale.
    Steve

We're lucky enough to have good tap water, though I usually leave a few bottles of whatever's cheapest in the fridge.

Here in Duluth, we have some of the best tasting city/tap water in the world. Fresh from Lake Superior!

As for bottled water, I'm pretty partial to Patriot Water

I'm partial to Evian for still mineral water, but since it's pretty expensive, Poland Springs is alright as well.

My fridge has a filter in it and cools water down. I drink water from there, and when I'm out, spring water from whatever company is cheapest that week!
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Originally posted by Utaria-Aaron
    Here in Duluth, we have some of the best tasting city/tap water in the world. Fresh from Lake Superior!
    Ugh, I wouldnt drink that water. I know what's in it. I put it there!

I dont drink the city water nor use it for food preparation.

My grandparents have a deep well and the water is great and we've even bottled it for our use. Its also under high pressure, so they dont really need the pump but use it anyway. Their well is deep enough where they dont have the sulfur content and is classified as "pure spring water" because it taps BELOW the Florida Aquifier at 670 feet underground.

I have drank tap water like once, in my life.

However, for the past two years or so, I've only drank bottled water (Poland Spring). Usually go through a 35 pack in 2-3 weeks.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

We drink filtered water. I drink about 4 litres/day. We have a water filter thingie on the kitchen tap. We also recycle most of our shower water, to supply the toilets. We're on tight water restrictions in my town (no outside hoses allowed etc), with the surrounding water supply levels at under 30% capacity.

I'm going to get 2 x 10,000 litre underground concrete tanks installed soon. That will collect all the water off our roof. The roof is a big surface area, with more than 475m2 of roofing, so that's a big catchment area.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I drink the cheaper bottled water, usually Crystal Geyser, and we use filtered water (Britta Filter) for coffee and cooking. Our tap water comes from Clear Lake (usually not very clear) and tastes terrible, especially during the warmer months.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

For drinking water we have the big 18L Montclair (local brand of Spring Water), for the rest we use tap water.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Water is very bad for you. If you are in doubt, just look at what it does to the bottom of boats. It ruins the taste of beer. Fish excrete in water. Pipes rust in water. All sorts of micro-organisms live in water. Avoid water at all cost.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

I drink tap water, but it's not strictly tap.

It firstly goes through a salt water softener, which surprise, surprise: it softens the water.

Then the water goes through another filter which I'm not entirely sure what to call it but its a long tubular thing - then it finally ends up running through a cooler before we get it. That always tastes nice - but obviously you don't get any of this except the softened water if you just get the water out of any old tap.

I like Evian and Volvic.

Buxton I think has a funny taste.

[edit]
    One thing I forgot to mention - the salt water softener I think works by removing chalk from the water (which we have a lot of) but don't ask me how it does it!

Re: Critic asks :: Let's talk "water" shall we? Mineral and Tap.......;)

Originally posted by Critic
    Do you drink more Mineral Water than you do tap water

- Why do you do this, is it merely because the water from the tap is just the poor in taste and clarity??

- Do you filter your tap water for instance??
    [/color]

[color=dark-blue]Volvic or Buxton[/color] are what you're most likely to find in my fridge. [/B]
    At the risk of splitting hairs, I believe you're referring to spring water rather than mineral water. Any water with naturally occurring TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of 500 PPM or more can be labelled mineral water. For instance, Perrier is a mineral water. Volvic is a natural spring water (with TDS just over 100 PPM).

I drink spring water (and have done so since 1983). I have a couple of water coolers in my home and we use it for everything from drinking to coffee to boiling pasta. The only thing we use tap water for is laundry, watering the lawn and taking a shower. Even the dog gets spring water.

If you drink tap water, you are likely desentisized to its (off) taste. When I was in the water business, I found time and time again that when we "converted" someone to try a 2 week free (cooler rental) trial, after 2 weeks they would then try a glass of tap water again, and almost always they were shocked at how they could now "taste" the water (chlorine, etc). At that point, it was an easy task to get them to sign up.

Although many people buy bottled water for health reasons, most buy it because of the taste, or lack thereof. Simply put, they don't want to taste the water they drink.

As for filtered water, just be careful what you buy. If you buy cheap cartridge type filters, unless you are obsessively diligent about routine cleaning and filter changes, you're worse off than if you drank straight from the tap. A brand new cartridge will trap/block sediment, and if high enough quality, some bacteria, but once you turn off the tap, the water is sedentary. And the filter cartridge (with crevices and all) holding still water at room temperature is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria to flourish and multiply very quickly.

Still others install an RO (reverse osmosis) unit in their home, while others install a home version distiller.

Lots of different ways to improve on your drinking water. Just be sure not to go the cheap route, as you may be doing more harm than good.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

One of the main problems with tap water may be the bacteria. So it is better to boil it before drinking.

Filters is not as effective in removing bacteria.

Vito, with regards to filters, we use Kinetico water softener:

http://www.kinetico.co.uk/kinsol.htm

And these filters which we replace every 12 months:

http://www.kinetico.co.uk/filter.htm

Originally posted by KI-ChrisE
    Vito, with regards to filters, we use Kinetico water softener:

http://www.kinetico.co.uk/kinsol.htm

And these filters which we replace every 12 months:

http://www.kinetico.co.uk/filter.htm
    Well, that will soften your water, but it is not filtering your water for chemical, pesticides, bacteria, etc. Regarding blocking bacteria, unless you have a cartridge that is down to well under 1 micron pore size, bacteria gets through. And if you do have a fine "absolute" filter, the pores end up clogging quickly, so you should have a series of pre-filters, systematically stepping down to the absolute filter.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

The softener won't but this should: http://www.kinetico.co.uk/filter.htm

The MAC7500 (1 micron) is certainly better than the MAC7000 (5 micron), but I still contend that cartridge filters can be problematic when blocking bacteria, as they are natural breeding grounds. I would challenge you to bring a sample of your tap water to your local Health Unit to have it tested for bacteria count. They usually do it for free, but make sure you collect the sample in one of their sterilized sampling bottles.

Vito

A local health unit?

Not sure we have anything called that or anything I can think of that's similar in the UK that'll be nearby?

Oh, sorry, I should have been more clear. I am referring to the Ministry Of Health, or whatever governmental department you have in the UK that has legislation over public health and safety.

Vito

Re: Re: Critic asks :: Let's talk "water" shall we? Mineral and Tap.......;)

Originally posted by vito
    At the risk of splitting hairs, I believe you're referring to spring water rather than mineral water. Any water with naturally occurring TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of 500 PPM or more can be labelled mineral water. For instance, Perrier is a mineral water. Volvic is a natural spring water (with TDS just over 100 PPM).

I drink spring water (and have done so since 1983). I have a couple of water coolers in my home and we use it for everything from drinking to coffee to boiling pasta. The only thing we use tap water for is laundry, watering the lawn and taking a shower. Even the dog gets spring water.

If you drink tap water, you are likely desentisized to its (off) taste. When I was in the water business, I found time and time again that when we "converted" someone to try a 2 week free (cooler rental) trial, after 2 weeks they would then try a glass of tap water again, and almost always they were shocked at how they could now "taste" the water (chlorine, etc). At that point, it was an easy task to get them to sign up.

Although many people buy bottled water for health reasons, most buy it because of the taste, or lack thereof. Simply put, they don't want to taste the water they drink.

As for filtered water, just be careful what you buy. If you buy cheap cartridge type filters, unless you are obsessively diligent about routine cleaning and filter changes, you're worse off than if you drank straight from the tap. A brand new cartridge will trap/block sediment, and if high enough quality, some bacteria, but once you turn off the tap, the water is sedentary. And the filter cartridge (with crevices and all) holding still water at room temperature is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria to flourish and multiply very quickly.

Still others install an RO (reverse osmosis) unit in their home, while others install a home version distiller.

Lots of different ways to improve on your drinking water. Just be sure not to go the cheap route, as you may be doing more harm than good.

Vito

For the remainder of this thread i declare that Vito, shall henceforth be known as "Dr H2O".

I'm sure my Chemistry teacher from back in the day would be telling me that that isn't quite right, not entirely accurate, and he would be correct, but there you have it, you get the point

I must say, i wasn't fully aware of the minor details surrounding water vito, you see, you do learn something new every day on WHT.

It's not just taste wioth me though, and i do beleive that the water from my tap is clean enough, however i do not beleive that the government should be adding fluoride to my tap water and i am pretty sure they put more chlorine in it these days. I prefer tyhe mineral content of my water to be as naturally occuring as possible, not "government occuring". So that and health reaosns come high on my list as well as taste and clarity which varies.

Slightly but this discussion got me thinking about it while i was typing.

Brits and some of you WHTers who've visited the UK might be aware of the city of "Bath", most famous for its Roman heratige, specifically the Roman Baths, ocated on a sacred spring. The water from the spring supposedly has healing properties with a natural temperature of 46 degrees celsius. They sell bottle of it, it is apparenlty quite bitter but i have never tried it myself.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-11-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Yes, public supply fluoridation is indeed one of the health reasons why some people switch to bottled water. While fluoride has reportedly proven to reduce dental caries, there is the big controversy about the negative long term health effects. This debate has been going on for decades.

More info:

www.fluoridealert.org

Vito

First i'd just like to clarify what i trying to say in my post, for one of the paragraphs was such a shambles that you might not have been able to understand it.

It should read as follows>>

"It's not just taste with me though, and i do believe that the water from my tap is clean enough. However i do not believe that the government should be adding fluoride to my tap water for me, and i am pretty sure they put more chlorine in it these days than they used to. I prefer the mineral content of my water to be as naturally occurring as possible, not "government occurring". So that and health reasons come high on my list as well as taste and clarity which varies as we all know."

Thanks and apologies

Yes, public supply fluoridation is indeed one of the health reasons why some people switch to bottled water. While fluoride has reportedly proven to reduce dental caries, there is the big controversy about the negative long term health effects. This debate has been going on for decades.

More info:

www.fluoridealert.org

Vito

Yes, i do have concerns, i'm not entirely sure how long they've been doing it in Britain, not for as long as some places i don't think but still.

I will try and find out.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-11-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Flouride was a recent measure - or at least it was in Kent as I remember seeing it on the news that they had begun adding it a few years back I think.

Wow, just a few years back? From what I recall, they've been fluoridating municipal drinking water in North America for 4 or 5 decades now. Mind you, not all drinking water. But most.

Vito

I remember it's a very recent measure for where we are.

Uncanny, but i just fond this on the BBC News website, it was posted yesterday too.

Article extract >>

The government has written to health chiefs reminding them they have the power to order water companies to add fluoride to water supplies.

The move is being seen as a concerted effort to push for more fluoridation of drinking water.

Supporters, including the British Dental Association, say fluoridation help to cut tooth decay significantly.

But opponents claim fluoride can cause a range of problems, from tooth mottling to cancer.

MPs approved legislation to make it easier for fluoride to be added to drinking water in England and Wales in 2003.

Forcing people to ingest something against their will is a contravention of medical ethics

Carolyn Smith

Water companies have been allowed to add fluoride to supplies since 1985, but few have for fear of legal action.

The 2003 legislation gave health agencies the power to force firms to fluoride water after consulting local people, in order to tackle tooth decay.

In the latest move, the government's chief dental officer Professor Raman Bedi has written to health chiefs to tell them that adding fluoride to water supplies was a way to reduce health inequalities.

His letter explains the legal procedures that health authorities would need to follow to instruct water companies to fluoridate supplies.

Under the regulations, health authorities would have to test public opinion through a survey and focus groups before pushing ahead.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: "Water fluoridation is one of the more efficient and cost-effective of possible oral health promotion measures."

A spokesperson for the British Dental Association said: "It's tragic that, in the 21st century, there are still children as young as five having most or even all of their teeth removed under general anaesthetic as the result of tooth decay.

"Water fluoridation is a positive step in narrowing the health inequalities that currently exist."

"We are pleased that the guidelines for consultation have now been distributed to Strategic Health Authorities and look forward to open and honest debate as those consultations move forward."

Opponents concerned

However, Carolyn Smith, of the National Pure Water Association, said reading Professor Bedi's letter had "made her go cold".

She said fluoride had never been licensed as a medical treatment, and cited a US study which linked fluoridation to an increased risk of the childhood cancer osteosarcoma.

She told the BBC News website: "Forcing people to ingest something against their will is a contravention of medical ethics."

Fluoride is present naturally in most water supplies - but usually not at levels which are beneficial for dental health.

Currently, six million people in the UK - including the Midlands, Newcastle and the North East - receive fluoridated water supplies.

End extract <<

Source :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4325908.stm

Although the city of Birmingham implemented fluoridation many years ago, the prospect of it going nationwide ahs been a somewhat recent innovation, another one of the current Labour government's damned interfering "initiatives".

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-11-2005 at 11:37 AM.

All the more reason to drink bottled water. Thank God they can't force bottled water companies to add fluoride to their product.

Vito

Re: Re: Critic asks :: Let's talk "water" shall we? Mineral and Tap.......;)

Excellent post, and I'd especially like to quote this part.

My family has had various forms of water coolers and filtration systems in our house(s) since I can remember -- first, delivered spring water in our first house; then, a Brita filter in our next house; then and now, a $1,000 water filtration system that is basically a cooler with a whole lot of filtering equipment on/in it. It's tied to the water supply so that it doesn't need to be refilled. The water it "produces," shall we say, is excellent. However, I still find there is no replacement for great spring water from the Alps or other mountains.

Sniper, would you mind providing a link (if available) to the system you have installed? I'm curious now.

Vito