Domain name stolen. What I should to do?

One of my domain names was stolen few days ago. I'm in shock. I was owner of this domain for few years. It made for me good cash (there are a lot of visitors).

The man who stole domain, also cracked my server (ev1servers.net). He copied my whole web site to new hosting and now earn my money and use my web site.

I've contacted my registrar and they said the only hacker's new regisrar can help me. I've contacted hecker's regisrar and they said I should ask for help my regisrar.

I've contaced my regisrar again and they said they can't help. They said I should ask for help "WIPO, The World Intellectual Property Organization". I've contacted them, but they never replied.

What I should to do now?

If he cracked your server, he can only stole your web site,.. how can he stole your domain if he does not crack your account in your registrar?

If he did crack your account in your registrar, then it is your registrar's problem.

Originally posted by artofmobile
    If he cracked your server, he can only stole your web site,.. how can he stole your domain if he does not crack your account in your registrar?

If he did crack your account in your registrar, then it is your registrar's problem.
    My emails is on this dedicated server too (my main email looks like [email protected]). Hacker could use my eamil.

What registrar did he move the domain name to? Some registrars are pretty reasonable if you provide details of what transpired and proof. Others are not so reasonable and may advise you to follow legal channels to reclaim your domain name
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by dmaven
    What registrar did he move the domain name to? Some registrars are pretty reasonable if you provide details of what transpired and proof. Others are not so reasonable and may advise you to follow legal channels to reclaim your domain name
    Hacker moved domain to NameCheap.com. I've contacted them, but they said I need to contact my regisrar.

If someone broke into your server then surely that's a matter for the police?

Originally posted by Lubeca
    If someone broke into your server then surely that's a matter for the police?
    I live in not USA, I don't think police can make anything.

Originally posted by ApplePro
    Hacker moved domain to NameCheap.com. I've contacted them, but they said I need to contact my regisrar.
    You would need to work with enom since they are the registrar. Chances are the party that took the name may have used stolen payment details at the new provider they transferred the name to
    Domain Maven

You would need to work with enom since they are the registrar. Chances are the party that took the name may have used stolen payment details at the new provider they transferred the name to
    My registrar is WorldTarget. I've contacted them few times, they don't want to help.

You'll need to contact the ENOM transfers department and lodge a 'transfer dispute' 425.274.4500 x3

Enom will investigate & get the domain back for you if it was stolen.

Originally posted by gerolsteiner
    You'll need to contact the ENOM transfers department and lodge a 'transfer dispute' 425.274.4500 x3

What is "425.274.4500 x3"?

Enom will investigate & get the domain back for you if it was stolen.
    The registrar is WorldTarget.

What is "425.274.4500 x3"?
    I believe he means dial US telephone number 425 274 4500 and ask for extension 3.

The registrar is WorldTarget.
    WorldTarget is not a registrar. WorldTarget appears to be a reseller for WildWestDomains.

If the domain has gone to NameCheap (who are an Enom reseller) then Enom has control over your domain so they are probably the right people to contact. Your existing reseller and registrar are powerless as the domain is no longer under their control.

Originally posted by Lubeca
    I believe he means dial US telephone number 425 274 4500 and ask for extension 3.
    Oh, I see. But my speaking english is terrible, so I prefer to speak via emails.

If the domain has gone to NameCheap (who are an Enom reseller) then Enom has control over your domain so they are probably the right people to contact. Your existing reseller and registrar are powerless as the domain is no longer under their control.
    The answer from Enom:

Your domain was acquired through one of our resellers, so you will need
    to contact them directly for assistance with your domain name, login or
    DNS assistance. We do not have access to this data. I have provided
    their contact information below for your convenience.

Organization: NameCheap.com
    Site link: http://www.namecheap.com/
    Name: NameCheap.com, NameCheap.com
    Phone: +1.6613102107
    Fax: +1.6613102107
    Email: [email protected]

Try to contact the reseller as enom suggested
    Domain Maven

Try to contact the reseller as enom suggested
    I've already contacted them before.

PS: Their answer:
    Since you did not purchase the domain from us, you need to file a complaint
    with the registrar you did purchase the domain from and file a complaint.

By the way, they first asked me emails which I recieved when I've registered domain and last four digets of my credit card. After I've sent them this info, they answered:

We are showing that this domain was transfered to Namecheap.com 9/2/2005
    6:31:13 AM , if you did not authorize this transfer, you will need to
    contact the prior registrar, where the domain was originally registered, and
    they will help you resolve this issue.

I've contacted them again after few days after these emails and they answered that was in my previous post.

One thing I don't understand - who can return the domain back to me? Everybody try to make go me to another company.

And why NameChape asked me CC info and emails (and then said they can't help)?

I'm really sorry to read what happened to you, ApplePro.

Ideally in a hijacking case, the last registrar should be responsible
    for getting the name back. The new registrar won't do a thing, but
    they could at least lock the name pending resolution.

Unfortunately only legal options can possibly help you, especially
    given the additional complication that your domain was originally
    with a reseller for a registrar. Everyone's passing the burden to
    the other because of their "legal agreements" with one another.

WildWestDomains is passing the burden to WorldTarget. Both of
    them in turn say "contact the new registrar" which is Namecheap.

Your first challenge is to prove the transfer was never authorized
    in the first place. Thus, you should continue bugging WWD and
    WorldTarget about this, but mostly WWD.

Registrars can use the Transfer Dispute Resolution Policy (TDRP).
    But I've not heard of anyone using it just yet:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/dispu...cy-12jul04.htm

However, only the last registrar can use it.

Can someone PM ApplePro perhaps to ask the name and lookup
    its history at whois.sc?

Bottom line, ApplePro: persistence is your only ally in fixing this.

Good luck!

WildWestDomains is passing the burden to WorldTarget. Both of
    them in turn say "contact the new registrar" which is Namecheap.
    But I thought WorldTarget is reseller of GoDaddy, but not WWD. I've contacted GoDaddy about week ago - they won't help.

Can someone PM ApplePro perhaps to ask the name and lookup
    its history at whois.sc?

Bottom line, ApplePro: persistence is your only ally in fixing this.

Good luck!
    Thanks Davezan. I will try to contact WorldTarget again. Hope they will help me. But I think they totally don't care about this (sometimes they sent me just standard replies for my big letters).

Originally posted by davezan
    Registrars can use the Transfer Dispute Resolution Policy (TDRP).
    But I've not heard of anyone using it just yet:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/dispu...cy-12jul04.htm
    It says at the top of the above page that "Registrars are encouraged to first of all attempt to resolve the problem among the Registrars involved in the dispute." Then, if that's unsuccessful, "Either the Gaining or Registrar of Record ("Filing Registrar") may submit a Request for Enforcement."

It looks to me like either registrar can get the ball rolling. Does ICANN have a policy for registrants to follow when the registrars won't take any of the steps outlined in the TDRP?

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

But I thought WorldTarget is reseller of GoDaddy, but not WWD. I've contacted GoDaddy about week ago - they won't help.

Go Daddy won't help because the domain was with their reseller-
    registrar arm WWD. It's WWD and/or WT you should persist with.

Originally posted by writespeak
    It looks to me like either registrar can get the ball rolling. Does ICANN have a policy for registrants to follow when the registrars won't take any of the steps outlined in the TDRP?

Lois
    For now, no. But that's among the list of recommendations ICANN
    has gathered:

http://www.icann.org/transfers/trans...rt-14apr05.pdf

Opening up the TDRP process to registrants to allow better access to problem-solving
    It's on page 5.

Only catch is how soon they'll finally allow registrants that option.

Contacted WorldTarget and WildWestDomains - both answered same answer. They have same support (with one email, one design and same answer words-in-word).

The answer:
    ----
    Thank you for contacting customer support.

You will have to contact the World Intelectual Property Organization and file a domain dispute in order to rectify a domain theft situation.

WIPO (The World Intellectual property organization):

e-mail: [email protected]
    Web site: WWW.Wipo.int
    ----

Just looked at date when I've sent email to WIPO - it is 28 Septermber. And still have no reply. I think they will never reply me.

I think contacting WWD and WT has no sense, because all their last answers are standard phrases like "go to WIPO".

I really don't want to do now. It's really unfair.

I really don't want to do now. It's really unfair.
    You got that part, right.

Unfortunately you only have legal options left now. 2 ways to go
    about this:

1. File for a Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy/UDRP
    at http://www.icann.org/dndr/udrp/approved-providers.htm. Two
    of the "best" are the National Arbitration Forum (arb-forum.com)
    and the World Intellectual Property Organization (wipo.int).

2. Retain a US-based attorney who's seasoned on these things to
    "force" the registrar to bend backwards and help out.

As you may have learned the hard way, registrars charging less
    than $10 a year have little to no incentive to work harder for you
    should complex problems arise.

[Edit: to fix link formatting]
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-11-2005 at 06:40 PM.

1. File for a Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy/UDRP
    at http://www.icann.org/dndr/udrp/approved-providers.htm. Two
    of the "best" are the National Arbitration Forum (arb-forum.com)
    and the World Intellectual Property Organization (wipo.int).
    Thanks. I'll try to contact arb-forum.com too.

2. Retain a US-based attorney who's seasoned on these things to
    "force" the registrar to bend backwards and help out.
    Do you mean there are some companies in US who can help to return domain? Maybe you know some of them?

As you may have learned the hard way, registrars charging less
    than $10 a year have little to no incentive to work harder for you
    should complex problems arise.
    Yes, and I think it's terrible situation. I'm in process of transferring all my domains to more secure but more expensive regisrar.

there are many lawyers who can help you getting your domain back i would advise with the following list:
    Stevan Lieberman from APlegal.com
    Ari Goldberger from ESQwire.com
    Dr. John Berryhill johnberryhill.com

they wont many UDRPs in the past and you can search WIPO's website for winning cases too.

i had personal experience with Stevan and he got one of my clients domain back

it costs an arm and a leg to get domains back but if it does makes money i think it would pay it back.

its bad that some large resellers don't help and doesn't apply TDRP, one registrar i know that did it for 2 domains i recognize is Dotster.com and was very helpful in helping the customer getting his domain back.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

What question comes to my mind if this was a fraudulent transfer did the party that transferred the name illegally use their own info or stolen payment info?
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by Bashar
    [B]there are many lawyers who can help you getting your domain back i would advise with the following list:
    Stevan Lieberman from APlegal.com
    Ari Goldberger from ESQwire.com
    Dr. John Berryhill johnberryhill.com
    Thanks.

they wont many UDRPs in the past and you can search WIPO's website for winning cases too.

i had personal experience with Stevan and he got one of my clients domain back

it costs an arm and a leg to get domains back but if it does makes money i think it would pay it back.
    My web site makes $3000-4000 month. How much will I spent with a lawer (I've heard working with lawers in US is very expensive).

What question comes to my mind if this was a fraudulent transfer did the party that transferred the name illegally use their own info or stolen payment info?
    Do you mean whois info? They've paid to the regisrar to hide their whois info (NameCheap gives such service).

If you are making 3000-4000 from the domain name you should be able to afford paying for a lawyer.
    Domain Maven

at 3000-4000/month paying upto 50,000 shouldn't be a problem because you will make it back in a year!

people pays 3-5years income and some pay 8yrs income nowadays
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Originally posted by Bashar
    at 3000-4000/month paying upto 50,000 shouldn't be a problem because you will make it back in a year!

people pays 3-5years income and some pay 8yrs income nowadays
    It's expensive for me (I don't have even half of this money on my bank account). My only work is webmaster. I have few web sites and promoting them... I don't have 50000 to pay now.

i didnt say it will cost you $50,000

but giving general example.

contact the lawyers i mentioned above and give them details they might be able to get it back for you as low as 10K

Godaddy and enom should have some type of fraudulent transfer arrangement between them. If you prove it was fraudulent they maybe able to move it back or at least give you an enom account to manage it
    Domain Maven

godaddy isn't helpful in such cases AT ALL they just point you to WIPO and ICANN

some registrars like enom are very helpful when it comes to legal matters i've met several incidences and their actions were A+

enom is involved, icann's agreement requires the registrar be involved not the reseller so I do not know why they would not assist this party
    Domain Maven

I own WorldTarget. I just found this forum thread through Google. I chose to outsouce customer service through WWD. They usually do a good job. Maybe I should take over e-mail support & just let them handle phone support. I hate not knowing when something like this happens.

Please PM me if you still need help!

I also want to change your Worldtarget account settings, in order to give you a significant discount buy rate for a year. If you are interested...

One of my clients is also the number #1 or #2 internet attorney (still up for debate b/w him and another). His name is Greg Piccionelli, don't know what he charges, but I could ask??? Talking to him on 11/2...

Welcome aboard, WF! Glad to see you help out!

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Fuse
    Please PM me if you still need help!
    I've just sent PM.

PM replied to ApplePro...

What is the name of your domain ??