Dedicated Server Protection- What do you prefer?

Not too long ago ( a year or so) my website got so large that I had to move it to a dedicated server.

My first dedicated server had some crappy firewall on it, and needless to say we got hacked more than once.

Now I have a new dedicated server and I have a bunch of fortigate stuff like: firewall, spam guard and virus filter.

Here is my question:

You are buying a dedicated server and you have a VERY tight budget and dont want to spend more monthly than you have to on server protection.

Would you consider a firewall as a necessity? Yes/No

Would you consider a spam guard as a necessity? Yes/No

Would you consider a virus protection program a necessity? Yes/No?

Assuming that you have to pay more for each option, would you get all three because they are all critically important? Or would you just go with the firewall because that is the necessity?

I am interested to see what other webmasters and server masters consider the most important to have and which ones are a MUST have.

Considering that you have had problems in the past i would consider all three equally important. There are many ways to get into a server and if someone really wants in they will find the weakest point.

Would you consider a firewall as a necessity? Yes

Would you consider a spam guard as a necessity? Yes, but if you dont mind spam coming through your server you can let something like outlook and your junk email filter take care of it.

Would you consider a virus protection program a necessity? Yes
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

Would you consider a firewall as a necessity? Yes, without it you are just asking for load of security problems.

Would you consider a spam guard as a necessity? No, but it does make life a little easier.

Would you consider a virus protection program a necessity? Yes, this is a given and you should not even second-guess whether you need one or not.