Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your control panel?

Hi guys,
    Which control panel are you using at the moment? What are the features which you love about it and what extra features would you like to see in it?

Right now I'm using some custom stuff but switching to Plesk. I've had experience both client and admin sides of many and plesk is my favorite.
    Red Rock Servers.
    Rock solid hosting at rock bottom prices
    http://redrockservers.net

For my websites, I use cPanel - its my favourite

Windows - Hosting Controller, I like the stability and life time support, features I would love? Everything, One Click Installer, Site Builder......

Linux - Directadmin, neat and sweet. Features I would love , multiple servers support

for windows Parsv Panel (http://www.parsv.com)
    for linux Direct Admin (http://www.directadmin.com)

For me these are best choice

Andrew

Hi there

i am using Cpanel, and i like it very much.

if it have billing fearure inbuild, i think it is the best..

Helm for Windows hosting, the best by a mile.

I use hsphere, very reasonable cost, great layout, rock solid system, clustering support

I use Cpanel, First Cpanel i ever used, I wouldnt change.

personally I never understood cpanel users...it just seems like people use it because it is out there. Most people complain of support, its ability to break in record speed and its non clustering ability......what attracts people to it?

On the other hand not alot of people use hsphere or direct admin (popular but not like cpanel popular) when they are clearly superior in every way I have seen possible

DirectAdmin.

Personally I use and recommend Plesk. It's stable, doesn't break easy, and has decent support.

It's also feature intensive..

rmurray321 it's because it is what they know and they don't want to change. People are beginning to, but it has been out there so long that many have been using it for years.

I use cPanel. Its awesome. Really user friendly as well.

H-Sphere for shared hosting, it handles both Windows and Unix.

HSPcomplete for VPS.

John, have you ever used the vps system that psoft has to offer? I am considering looking into the vps market and would like to get some small insight into vps solutions. sorry for the mild thread hijack but it came to mind

I currently use Plesk, a lot more secure than cPanel

What features about H-Sphere,Helm,Plesk etc. you like apart from security?

good layout easy to use, integrated billing system, clustering ability

Originally posted by PrecisionEffect
    I currently use Plesk, a lot more secure than cPanel

Can you put a single reason to say that plesk is more secure than cpanel.

Parsv

Windows - Helm
    Unix - CPanel

Windows - Helm
    Linux - cPanel

I have been using cPanel for 1 week now and all I get is headache. It won't do the simplest tasks without crashing. Also, I had a look at some source files to do some manual translation and the coding is horrifyingly bad. I don't understand how a company dares to make money with this software while putting so many businesses at risk...

I have been looking at alternatives and DirectAdmin or HSphere seem to be better: simple and straightforward. But then, I have only browsed the online demos.

I say H-Sphere for Windows and/or Linux for single servers up to a cluster.

for hsphere you need at least one linux server for the control panel so a pure windows solution is out of the question

That's right. The H-Sphere CP server has to be installed and run from a supported Linux distro. Otherwise, there are hosts offering only Windows hosting from a *nix-based CP box.

Originally posted by rmurray321
    John, have you ever used the vps system that psoft has to offer? I am considering looking into the vps market and would like to get some small insight into vps solutions. sorry for the mild thread hijack but it came to mind
    I haven't used FreeVPS before, so I'm not sure how it compares to HSPc/Virtuozzo.

We're using Cpanel at the moment. It's simple and effective.

Originally posted by parsv
    Can you put a single reason to say that plesk is more secure than cpanel.

Parsv
    I don't have any facts, but many people know it. cPanel has many flaws and there are way more rooted cPanel boxes than Plesk boxes.

I currently use directadmin..............sweet, easy to handle, fast navigation and very much feature rich.

Used Cpanel for awhile then switched to Direct Admin since it was alot cheaper and easier to handle but customers always asked for cpanel so we were forced to switch back..

I wouldn't rule out using DA again if they can add a few of the things customers use most. The price is certaintly alot more attractive then cpanel's offerings..

Have you come across any host who offers their own control panel(built by them)?

pcextreme.nl had a clustered custom built control panel.

We currently use Plesk but aure switching to the Interworx-CP .

I just demoed interworx and all I will say is that I would have a lot of angry customers if I tried to change to that.

On an admin side it does have some nice features. But it isn't user friendly, the interface is basically ugly.

But that is my take and I know most of my customers personally so I know what the reaction would be with them.

I'm currently using DirectAdmin. Its a nice setup and the documentation is good. The only gripe is that it uses Apache 1 and not Apache 2 as its base. But its simple, clean and bug free. The feedback I have had from clients has been positive.

I have used:

WHM/cPanel - a buggy, clunky cluttered mess

Plesk - I have never had so much frustration trying to keep something working. Don't update anything or even sneeze around a Plesk installation!

Directadmin - everything has been smooth sailing with Directadmin and their new default skin is very pleasing to the eye for your end users. I love it.

I'm beginning to truly believe 80% of the stability of a Control Panel depends on whether the admin knows what they are doing.

cPanel has bugs, but to be honest I've yet to see one that actually caused a box to get rooted. The possibility was there, but rapidly corrected. The bugs I have seen are in regards to services functioning properly, end user and WHM interface features functioning properly, etc.... The rest of the security (other than in regards to integrated cpanel features) is up to the admin. I've seen many a box get rooted due to lack of security on the admins side.

As for Plesk I've seen intermittent bugs, but very few and with a decent admin never enough to take down a service. And again, security is up to the admin not the control panel. As for rooted boxes on Plesk, seen a few and again it was due to lack of security on the admins part.

As for DA, I've only used it a couple of time but personally I found it tedious, non-standard in some ways, and, like cpanel, uses it's own built applications instead of the standard ones. And again, it can be rooted just like any other box if the admin fails to secure it.

Personally I prefer plesk because I know it can easily be installed stable. It rarely has problems, and has a variety of features putting it almost on par with cpanel's features.

But all control panels have there uses and everyone has the one they prefer. The catch is they all depend on the skills of the admin.

If the admin doesn't do something right, it will reflect directly on the server and the control panel.

EDIT: Also with Plesk it uses standard RPM's for most of it's applications (i.e. php, httpd, etc...) the more common security risk ones. These are updated via the OS instead of waiting for an update to come out from the Control Panel.
    Last edited by KNL-BSW; 10-27-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    I have used:

WHM/cPanel - a buggy, clunky cluttered mess

Plesk - I have never had so much frustration trying to keep something working. Don't update anything or even sneeze around a Plesk installation!

Directadmin - everything has been smooth sailing with Directadmin and their new default skin is very pleasing to the eye for your end users. I love it.
    I might give direct admin another try. I always liked it personally.

what does those providers have to do with control panel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast