Lightbulb Dedicated Server with Dedicated 1.5mbps connection- Too slow!

Hello, I am wondering if I can ask your opinions. I am running a website on a new rackforce dedicated server. I have 1 gig ram, 2.8 dual xeon chips and a 1.5mbps connection speed.

My problem is that my website is running too damn slow on my new server. Its the only site on this server, and it is a fairly busy website traffic-wise and my users all read comic books online- which means there is a fair bit of bw used in reading the scanned pages. I checked my connection usage in awstats in my control panel and it is saying that on average users are using about 1.2 mbps of the allowable 1.5 consistantly.

My question- is this the likely reason that my site is running so slow? because the connection speed is running at about 80% capacity all the time? Or could it be that I need more ram because there are lots of images being read all the time?

I feel its the connection 1.5mbps and I may need to go to 3mbps, but I thought I would ask someone with more experience. What say you?

THANKS!
    Last edited by M4N-N4N; 10-09-2005 at 11:20 PM.

Is your connection speed capped at the 1.5 or is there a burstable limit as well? Also have you checked to see what the load is on the server as far as CPU and Memory is?
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

Smile

Yes Yes Yes, it is the connection if it is capped ~

For most typical broadband today, each user should have about 3 - 5Mbps downstream.

Imagine just 5 persons viewing your site and downloading at the same time ~

Originally posted by SuperiorWebWorks
    Is your connection speed capped at the 1.5 or is there a burstable limit as well? Also have you checked to see what the load is on the server as far as CPU and Memory is?
    To answer your questions:

my cpu load is relatively low (probably because of the dual cpu's) at .12

As for the burstable limit, it doesnt say, it just says:

Dedicated 1.5Mbps Unmetered Connection:
    The RackForce 1.5Mbps unmetered Internet connection is the standard bandwidth option included with every Dedicated and Dynamic Dedicated Server. It is essentially configured to the same specs as a T1 connection capable of 1.5Mbps of both egress and ingress traffic.

============

It basically says nothing about a burstable limit on top of that. I will check into it now though. Assuming that there is not a burstable limit above and beyond would you think that it is my connection speed that I need to increase to 3mbps?

Yes i would say you need to upgrade to 3mbps. Like Yupapa said earlier you need to keep in mind that most people out there have broadband that is capable of downloading anywhere from 3 to 6 mbps on the average and that alone with just a few users can kill all of your available bandwidth.
    SuperiorWebWorks
    24X7 Online & Telephone Support
    Shared, Dedicated & Co-Location Hosting.

Thanks for your help! Looks like I am going to get 3mbps connection speed! I hope its going to be enough!

I'd advise setting up MRTG off eth0 or getting MRTG from RackForce from the switch

1.5mbps (3mbps as well by the way) is a joke if you have more than 1-3 simultaneous users. Tons of home users' connections are better than that nowadays. I would advise you not to go unmetered but to go for a decent (100mbit) connection with a bandwidth limit of 500GB+, which should be perfectly fine for you.

1.5mbps is about 187kb/s. Even if your server is running at full 1.5mbps speed 24/7 (_very_ unlikely to happen), your bandwidth limit is capped at ~462 gigabytes per month simply limited by your network connection (only counting one traffic direction).

That said, your provider's pricing for such a thing is a bad joke. Such a connection that you're having is only suited for quite special purposes like a backup server or a low traffic site that does not require the ressources of a dedicated server anyways and perhaps a handful of other special applications (and they certainly know that).

Originally posted by aldee
    1.5mbps (3mbps as well by the way) is a joke if you have more than 1-3 simultaneous users. Tons of home users' connections are better than that nowadays. I would advise you not to go unmetered but to go for a decent (100mbit) connection with a bandwidth limit of 500GB+, which should be perfectly fine for you.

1.5mbps is about 187kb/s. Even if your server is running at full 1.5mbps speed 24/7 (_very_ unlikely to happen), your bandwidth limit is capped at ~462 gigabytes per month simply limited by your network connection (only counting one traffic direction).

That said, your provider's pricing for such a thing is a bad joke. Such a connection that you're having is only suited for quite special purposes like a backup server or a low traffic site that does not require the ressources of a dedicated server anyways and perhaps a handful of other special applications (and they certainly know that).
    Wow, this is the information I have been looking for. Thanks for your help! We are in the process of changing things currently!

aldee, that is because rackforce ONLY offers un-metered lines. They never seem to sell in GB packages, which gets quite annoying.

you may want to get a box from another provider due to your bandwidth usage. you will pay much less for more bandwidth.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Originally posted by ImageTutorials
    aldee, that is because rackforce ONLY offers un-metered lines. They never seem to sell in GB packages, which gets quite annoying.
    That's not correct. According to their web site their quotes for 100mbit connections with 100-500 GB traffic included are as follows (that's plus their "basic" server fees):

[...]
    100GB - $149.00 periodic
    250GB - $322.50 periodic
    500GB - $595.00 periodic
    [...]

Ahhh, right. I forgot about that....

Meant to say more along the lines of their pricing. As it is quite high for the per gb bandwidth. Thanks for clearing that up aldee

Don't forget that's not per GB per month. That's per GB - period. If it takes one month to use that much bandwidth or six months - the unused portion is carried over until next month with no additional charge until it's all used.

Curiousity, why have a 1.5mbps, or a 3mbps unmetered?

Why not a burstable port, with traffic shaping if you are concerned about overages?
    EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net

Originally posted by WH-Coach
    Don't forget that's not per GB per month. That's per GB - period. If it takes one month to use that much bandwidth or six months - the unused portion is carried over until next month with no additional charge until it's all used.
    OMG! Thats insane! I agree - switch providers FAST.

Am I hearing this right>

You have a dedicated server and cannot run even one site off it?

For your needs you could go with a budget provider and get something like 1000GB's/mo for less then $100 and work perfect for you.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Am I hearing this right>

You have a dedicated server and cannot run even one site off it?

For your needs you could go with a budget provider and get something like 1000GB's/mo for less then $100 and work perfect for you.
    Well here is the issue:

Moving my 'rather large and very popular' website is a real bitch. Setting it up on a new server can take days to do with many hours. I would look at a new provider IF they offered to move the site for me, and provided a premium customer service option.

Certainly the connection speed with Rackforce blows. I am upgrading to the 3mbps dedicated to see if it makes a difference. The bottom line is its still pricey as hell. I do admit though that everything else is top notch, service, virus/spam block, and server load.

If someone has an alternate suggestion I am all ears.

You could choose a provider then find a 3rd party to manage it for you.

For instance a provider like LayeredTech is reasonablly priced then add someone like platinumservermanagement for $30/mo to manage it for you. They can also set up the new server and transfer all your stuff over to it for you. It's worth a look.

I second X-Gamings' idea. Get a much cheaper box at layeredtech and hire PSM to move it and secure your box for you.

Hello I wanted to update you all on what I did to beat the problem:

I am not sure if Rackforce read this complaint and others complaints abroad, but just last month they decided to DOUBLE all subscribers connection speeds free of charge. So basically I had upgraded to 3mbps dedicated, and doubled that means I have 6mbps or (2 terabytes bw allotment per month). My website is FLYING fast now and traffic has more than doubled from 750,000 hits per day to over 3.5 million!

While the costs are still high, the increased connection speeds make it not so bad now. Currently I am happy with Rackforce.

My only problem now is dealing with a TON of traffic- looks like I need to buy more ram to handle it all actually! With a PR rank of 6 I am very happy!

Thanks to all for their advice!

PS> 6mbps dedicated- some of you commented that this speed was nothing, but you are confusing it with other providers that use BACKBONES. For example a dedicated server that offers 10mbps speeds is usually on a backbone, so the real speed you get depends on how many other servers share that line. With dedicated the line is all ours- a significant speed difference!
    Last edited by M4N-N4N; 11-05-2005 at 05:14 PM.

I have never heard of bandwidth being sold in that way.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity
    I have never heard of bandwidth being sold in that way.

Well Rackforce sells dedicated servers that are in place in their data centers. Rather than having a 10mnps backbone line that is connected to multiple servers Rackforce provides a dedicated connection line.

For example, their:

3mbps dedicated connection line gives you:

dedicated unshared connection speeds to the internet. This also allows you to have 920 gigs bw per month. Its actually a very fast connection depending on the amount of users visiting your site.

I have:

a 6mbps dedicated connection that gives me:

about 2 tb bw a month and blazing fast connection speeds even when my site has a few hundred connections on at once. The only thing is that with high traffic and these speeds, you basically need at least 1-2 gigs of ram and a dual cpu would be suggested.

Anyways, you are right. Till I came to Rackforce I have never ever had NON-Backbone connection speeds before. I do admit though that once you get 3mbps or higher on your box that it really is a great speed for our users.

Of course all of this depends on how many websites you are hosting from your server as well.