Exclamation GB News :: A major fire has broken out on the Southend Pier. Flames put at 30-40ft.

Article extract >>

A major fire has broken out at a pub at the end of Southend Pier in Essex.
    Ten fire crews are tackling the blaze, which was discovered at 2240 BST on Sunday. Police described the fire as "fairly serious".

Insp Glen Westley of Essex Police said it is not thought anyone was near the fire when it broke out, and there are not believed to be any casualties.

However an RAF Sea King helicopter was scrambled from RAF Wattisham in Suffolk to ensure no-one was in the water.

Thames Coastguard are also involved in the operation.

"It is far too early to say what the cause might be," Insp Westley said.

He added it was likely firefighters were having to run along the pier carrying hoses, as it is not possible to drive up it.

There are a number of buildings at the end of the pier, including the pub, fast food restaurants and a newly-built lifeboat station.

At 1.34 miles (2.16km), Southend Pier is the longest pleasure pier in the world.

End extract <<

For more info :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ex/4325430.stm

An eyewitness who dialed 999 and alerted the emergency services to the problem told the BBC that the flames must've been 30-40ft tall. Initially he wasn's sure if it was a boat in trouble out at sea or the pier itself.

Another witness, a axi driver, said the fire must extend at least 100 yards along he pier.

This story is unfolding as i type, hopefully the pier holds, but they say it is pretty serious blaze and with the lenght of the pier and the location of the fire, it can't be easy for the fire brigade.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-09-2005 at 08:03 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

wow i couldnt believe it when i read the title of this thread,
    thats crazy i hope no one is hurt and that the pier holds aswell

Sorry, but is this some sort of major pier in the UK or something?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Originally posted by ImageTutorials
    Sorry, but is this some sort of major pier in the UK or something?
    Its the longest pier in the world at 1.34miles long.

Not sure whether it is a majorly busy pier, I would have thought so though as Southend is quite a popular holiday destination.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Update -

Article extract >>

A major fire has destroyed a large area at the end of Southend Pier in Essex.
    Twelve fire crews are tackling the blaze, discovered at a pub on the pier late on Sunday night. Flames were seen to leap 30 to 40 feet into the air.

Eyewitness Dave Watts told the BBC News website that the main entertainment area of the pier, which is the longest in the world, had been "devastated".

Insp Glen Westley of Essex Police said there are not thought to be any casualties.

An RAF Sea King helicopter was scrambled from RAF Wattisham in Suffolk to see if anyone was in the water.

There had been fears for some anglers who were unaccounted for, but they have all since been located.

Thames Coastguard had been carrying out a search and rescue operation, but a spokesman said that had concluded.

'Raging blaze'

Mr Watts, a cab driver, said he could see from the shore that the fire was "absolutely huge".

"The main entertainment area seems to have been totally destroyed. The fire was raging - it was very bad," he said.

Speaking from the shore in the early hours of Monday, the BBC's Gareth George said the Jolly Fisherman had been "totally destroyed" and several shops and restaurants had been badly damaged, with the blaze still going.

"What you can see is an eerie orange light about a mile out in the water," he said.

"The pier is very much in danger and the firefighters are trying to save it."

The fire service said the blaze was severe, but confirmed no-one was missing from the pier.

Because the fire was a mile along the pier, and fire engines could not travel on it, a "golf-type buggy" was being used to ferry firefighters to the scene.

Station Officer Dave Moore said: "It's quite a severe fire.

"At the moment we're treating it as suspicious but that's only as a cautionary action until an investigation proves otherwise.

"The flames look quite spectacular from land, they're leaping into the air maybe 30 or 40 feet.

"I'd say the fire stretches 30 to 40 metres along the pier if not more."

End extract <<

For full article :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/4325430.stm

That article gives as good a summary as you're gonna get up to this point.

talkSPORTRadio spoke to an Essex Fire Brigade Station Chief not too long ago, he said there were now 13 fire engines/pumps on scene and at least 50 fire fighters. They do have a fire tug at their disposal but the tide is out and it can't be used to fight the fire from the sea until it turns in its favour [note, this should be happening now or very soon].

The fire is so far out along the pier that they are having to use all their hoses and the internal pumps, just to get water to, and tackle the blaze. A coastguard or RNLI hovercraft is being used to ferry some fire fighters to the far end of the pier and protect the RNLI lifeboat station, other structures and the pier in general.

Some angliers were on the pier at the time the blaze started, how close they were is not known.

It can't be an easy incident for the emergency services to deal with, they're proving their worth tonight.

As Matt said, it is the longest pier in the world and a populat attraction, recognised by many i'd say.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-09-2005 at 10:11 PM.

do you think they will rebuild the destroyed part?

Is this a pier where the Essex girls gather?

Wow. I was wondering if it was Brighton or Portsmouth. That's a big pier and worth repairing.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Originally posted by Bully
    do you think they will rebuild the destroyed part?
    Ican't see why not, they'd have to surely, althought it'll cost a bit.

Until it is ruled out, arson has to be considered as a possible cause for the fire which would be even more of a shame.

You know i can't rmemeber if when i went to Southend a few years ago now, if i actually walked the pier from beginning to end and back again. Getting the train wouldn't seem quite right, however i must confess i did do just that when i went to Mt Snowdon.

Article extract >>

The section of the world's longest pleasure pier which was gutted by fire is to be rebuilt - even though it could cost millions of pounds.

The damage to Southend Pier was a serious blow to the town, said borough council leader Anna Waite.

She added: "We will be looking to restore it to its former glory. It's a very sad day and the pier will cost millions of pounds to rebuild."

A pub, a railway station and other buildings were destroyed in the fire.

Eyewitnesses said flames leapt 30 to 40ft in the air as the inferno engulfed up to 130ft of the pier, and the blaze could be seen for miles.

End extract <<

For video report :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ex/4327304.stm

See picture taken last night from the shore of the pier ablaze :: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...erblaze203.jpg

Critic,