IPB 2.1 vs. vBulletin 3.5

I am very interested in both vBulletin and Invision Power Board. However, I can only choose one and thus require your opinions on these topics so I can see which one suits my needs better.

1- Skinning
    In terms of Skinning, which one do you feel has the best skinnablility? Is it easier to skin with IPB or vBulletin? Why?

2- Management
    I personally tried out the demos of IPB 2.1 Admin Panel and the vBulletin's demo. However, I noticed that IPB's seems to be much more professional than vBulletin and had a much cleaner feel. vBulletin's Admin Control Panel seemed to be a bit sour for my taste. Is there a way to change the style of the skin in vBulletin?

3- Modding
    Both IPB 2.1 and vBulletin seem to have pretty good mods. Which one has more? Is it easier to mod with IPB or vBulletin?

4- Features
    Both software are chock filled with features, so many that some people call a few of them "bloatware". But which one has the most features? Are the features in vBulletin or IPB what you consider to be "bloatware"? Are there features in vBulletin that IPB doesnt have? Are there features in IPB that vBulletin doesn't have?

5- Ease of Use
    In terms of the criteria from the 1st 4 subjects, please tell me what you feel is the ease of use. With many features in both vBulletin and IPB, there comes the fact of the comfortable setting of getting something done. Which has the upside in ease of use?

-NOTE: Value and price is NOT a factor-
    Last edited by Tsurara; 10-09-2005 at 06:46 PM.

I would love to know the answer to this so instead of posting a new thread with this topic, I will bump this up. Hopefully someone will respond so I can get my answer before I make my decision to go with either invision or vbulletin.

Well here's my short opinion on this...

IPB is best for skins and ease of use I think.

vB is best for just about everything else.

I personally think vB is the best overall.

I like to compare these two as I do with cPanel and Plesk - cPanel has the best functionality by far but Plesk looks much better.

I'm suprised nobody else has commented on this yet.

I hope this helps.

i would prefer IPB...IPB is user friendly and way easier to skin compare to vBulletin...
    i would compare IPB as Directadmin more than Plesk...Some people like DA, some people don't...just like IPB...

Another point worth considering is that websites aimed at web developers/selling etc such as here,SitePoint,DigitalPoint,DNForum etc ALL use vBulletin.

But yes...it's a matter of opinion.

skinning - IPB
    management - IPB
    modding - vB
    ease of use - IPB

vBulletin beats it in everything, but skinning. I only say skinning because with vBulletin, it may be a learning curve for some people.

And vBulletin is user friendly, IMO. None of my members have ever had a problem with it. In fact, they like it 100x better than the other boards we used to have.

Smile

The question IPB vs VB has been posted maybe thousand times
    Maybe you should try IPB & VB demo versions and then to decide
    which MBS meets your needs, Tsurara.

In general I personally agree with Mike. I also think that there are much
    more free resources (mods, skins, etc. ) for IPB available.
    Bestbg - Best "Background" Services

From personal experience, I find vBulletin to be great software

I've never used the admin side of IPB, but I'm extremely pleased with my switch from phpBB to vBulletin. I chose vBulletin because most of the major forums I visit are vBulletin based and I have heard good things about the handling of high user loads. After using both the admin and user sides, I'd never even consider another forum.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

There are plenty of resources for vBulletin. Not as much as phpBB, but there are a lot.

vBulletin.org is just one of the places to check out.

phpBB may have more "hacks" (in every sense of the word!!) than vBulletin but that's because most of those are already included in vBulletin. The hacks they do release are absolutely incredible and very useful compared to those for phpBB. Quality over quantity.

Exactly. vBulletin is brilliant.

vBulletin is the only forum script in the world which has a hack which lets you order Pizza from your ACP.

That's a good enough reason to buy it.

The support team at vBulletin (and I don't care how good you are with php/mysql etc..) is second to none. They will get back to you usually in a matter of minutes. vB is one hell of a forum and the only gripe I have with it is the lack of signature controls.
    People train run out of Stubville.

Yeah...I agree with the support bit. Haven't really noticed the lack of signature controls you mention.

Signature controls...

I'm referring to the ability to place limits on a user's signature font size, number of lines allowed, font color, admin seletive bbcodes, etc. The only thing it really allows you to do with signatures (as an admin)... is limit the character max and allow/disallow use of BBcodes. I need way more control than that.

Oh I see - have you suggested this to them?

I haven't... but everyone else and their brother has... and for some reason it just aint sinkin in to the dev's heads (no pun intended...hehehe...anyone get that?).

OK..I see.

And no - I didn't get the joke?

LOL.

The support is fantastic. I remember when I had pre-sale questions & they answered them under five minutes. I'm pretty sure it was only three minutes. Crazy.

actually i preffer IPB i dont know why i just like the acpo but both boards are good for different things but i chose IPB as i found i liked it a lot better.