Question: Payment Solutions

Would a subscription-based content web site that processes a few thousand dollars a month in transactions per month be better off with a PayPal/2CO/etc. type solution or a Gateway like Authorize.net combined with a merchant account?

If the latter, what re-sellers would you suggest?

Also - are there any payment processors, other than PayPal, that have features specifically for subscription sites? ie. code to limit page access to subsribers, revenue data, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Question: Payment Solutions

Would a subscription-based content web site that processes a few thousand dollars a month in transactions per month be better off with a PayPal/2CO/etc. type solution or a Gateway like Authorize.net combined with a merchant account?

If the latter, what re-sellers would you suggest?

Also - are there any payment processors, other than PayPal, that have features specifically for subscription sites? ie. code to limit page access to subsribers, revenue data, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
    As far as revenue goes you'd probably be better off with an actual merchant account as you'll be doing over a Thousand USD/month which typically should meet any monthly minimums. We've been using merchantplus for over half a year now and I must say they've been quite good and the rates are not bad either (they do have a cancellation fee, however when I brought this up with them they said it'd be waived once the first year is up). (they do use authorize.net as well as one other gateway I'm a bit unfamiliar with yet.)

as far as paypal goes it really would not hurt you to access both IMO as alot of buyers do use paypal as well. As far as software goes you'd want to be looking at content download portals and such, I'd recommend searching wht here for that as the matter has been discussed several times to date by now.

Best of luck in your ventures Gallahan.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Originally posted by jschurawlow
    As far as revenue goes you'd probably be better off with an actual merchant account as you'll be doing over a Thousand USD/month which typically should meet any monthly minimums. We've been using merchantplus for over half a year now and I must say they've been quite good and the rates are not bad either (they do have a cancellation fee, however when I brought this up with them they said it'd be waived once the first year is up). (they do use authorize.net as well as one other gateway I'm a bit unfamiliar with yet.)

as far as paypal goes it really would not hurt you to access both IMO as alot of buyers do use paypal as well. As far as software goes you'd want to be looking at content download portals and such, I'd recommend searching wht here for that as the matter has been discussed several times to date by now.

Best of luck in your ventures Gallahan.
    That's good advice jschurawlow. Does merchantplus have the password management and other features that Gallahan probably needs for a subscription based website?

Well first - it really depends on where you are located and what the subscription costs. And then you can do your due diligence, compare prices and see for yourself what would be better for you.

Usually in the long run, a merchant account is better for US based businesses with more than $1,000 a month. You might also consider though running everything thru a third party processor first and then bill all your current clients thru a merchant account processor (if you are in the United States and selling more than $1,000). Why do this? Scrubbing. This would help to reduce your chargeback ratio on your merchant account, and it would not jeopardize it.

That's good advice jschurawlow. Does merchantplus have the password management and other features that Gallahan probably needs for a subscription based website?
    As I had already noted in my post what would be needed is a content delivery system that will integrate with authorize.net, paypal (or for that matter any other gateway that is being used).

As far as software goes you'd want to be looking at content download portals and such, I'd recommend searching wht here for that as the matter has been discussed several times to date by now.
    ie. code to limit page access to subsribers
    Your typical merchant provider provides the merchant and gateway accounts, they however do NOT provide 3rd party software to be used in conjunction with specialty services such as audio/video streaming and/or content download (unless they're doing management for you on the site as well typically). Thus I'd recommend the OP to do some (re)searching into the various software and what gateways the programs support. Several programs are out there which can be slightly modified to allow for content downloads, I would probably be looking at a combination of a billing system and a portal together (obviously you'd need to get an API developed between the two of course).

As I had thought I clarified that enough in my original post I do see further clarification was needed. Thank you for pointing that out sperbonzo.

Again Gallahan best of luck in your searching for this solution. For what you seem to be neeidng to do it should not be a rocket science task you'll just need to have the right programs that integrate well with one another, that's all.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog