Is a VSP what I need and with who

Hello
    I need some guidance can you help.

Iv had a site wrote by a local company but unfortunately I have no access to it what so ever and pay £300 a year I believe it is just on shared hosting but I donít know.

Looking around I could have a VSP for that amount of money but Im concerned about one function of my site. Every hour 8am to 5pm my site sends out an email to each member at the moment 1400 members so thatís 1400 emails that have to be sent at 8am ect. At the moment it is taking about half an hour to send the emails, the emails vary in size from 8kb to 80kb.

What I want to now is will a VSP account send these emails in seconds/minutes, I think at the moment im using about 20gb bandwidth a month but as my members grow this will increase so will the amount of emails and size of them.

Also can any VSP be recommended, Id prefer to stay in the UK but would look elsewhere if the benefits are worth it.

I see webfusion now offer a VPS but I keep reading bad things about them.

Powervps has been recommended in one of the other threads would it fit my requirements.

Im definitely looking for good service that will help me out when I need it. Good uptime, good servers.

Help and advice appreciated

Rgds
    /Ripshirt

I mean VSP, what a blank

VPS

Hi Ripshirt

I have a shared hosting account with webfusion ( which is pipex ) and have been with them for some years. without problems. i have also just ordered a virtual private server from them as well.
    I havent had one problem with them since i have been with them. I guess its every one to there own.

Good luck in your search

Steve

For VPS I use PowerVPS and they do rock!
    Rob Yates - support manager - even proactively called me by phone (international) to ensure I was kept fully informed of how they were planning to deal with an high load issue I was having that had remained unresolved for more than one week. Needless to say it was indeed resolved and my server is flying again.

I am however looking at UK / Euro based VPS to cater for my European clients need of faster ping times.

imhere2009 (Steve),
    I cannot seem to find any details in regards to guaranteed resources (RAM etc) for the WebFusion VPS.
    Can you provide any further info?

Thanks,

- Vince

For a EU based VPS I'd suggest www.eurovps.com
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

hostingvince, I asked webfusion the same question and the answer is below. Is this good?

Q, Roughly how many other virtual machines will be running on the one real
    machine?

Roughly 65 linux machines on one box

Q, Is there a Guaranteed minimum regarding cpu/ram?

The guaranteed minimum would be the number above divided into the server
    limits. The server specification is Dual Xeon 3ghz, 4 gb ram, 2*300GB
    scsi raid 1.

How much difference (in layman English please) does ping make.

Powervps was almoust 5
    Webfusion was .86

I am in the UK so that explains the difference, if you was to convert ping things into realtime what do we get?

Originally posted by Ripshirt
    hostingvince, I asked webfusion the same question and the answer is below. Is this good?

Q, Roughly how many other virtual machines will be running on the one real
    machine?

Roughly 65 linux machines on one box

Q, Is there a Guaranteed minimum regarding cpu/ram?

The guaranteed minimum would be the number above divided into the server
    limits. The server specification is Dual Xeon 3ghz, 4 gb ram, 2*300GB
    scsi raid 1.
    That would make approx 60MB RAM each!!!
    Maybe the person that answered got it terribly wrong?
    Either way, not good.

Far too much overselling going on in the VPS market now.
    Either that, or they have redefined the meaning of Guaranteed since the last time I looked at the dictionary.

Any body care to make a Virtuozo script that reveals the truth?

- Vince

Hi Guys

I can confirm that they WONT be 65 virtual machines on one server, This has been comfirmed i have been assured there is only going to be 20 on 1 machine.

Hope it helps
    Steve

Originally posted by hostingvince
    That would make approx 60MB RAM each!!!
    Maybe the person that answered got it terribly wrong?
    Either way, not good.

Far too much overselling going on in the VPS market now.
    Either that, or they have redefined the meaning of Guaranteed since the last time I looked at the dictionary.

Any body care to make a Virtuozo script that reveals the truth?

- Vince
    Vince, I don't think a script can be made to find that out..but..you could simply run 'free -m" to see how much swap is being used on the node. If there's a lot then there is definitely a problem.

65 VPSes on a Dual Xeon node is a recipe for disaster. You would need atleast Quad Opteron (or Dual-Dual Core Opteron ), not to mention 8GB DDR-2 RAM.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I am getting abit concerned about webfusion, the answers I put up is a cut and paste of the email I received that very morning.

I rang them on Saturday and the guy was great, he said I dont know the answers to your questions, but I will find out and send you an email. As far as I can see he did find out and he did send an email.

I think I would like to know the truth before I go with them.
    Last edited by Ripshirt; 10-11-2005 at 04:15 PM.

Hi
    Iv found one at http://www.memset.com/miniserver.php anyone know anything about them.

Are they offering a good deal?

Hi
    another one (big name) is http://webhosting.lycos.co.uk/business/comparevds/

quite cheap. is it any good?

Originally posted by Ripshirt
    Hi
    another one (big name) is http://webhosting.lycos.co.uk/business/comparevds/

quite cheap. is it any good?
    Very basic - no control panels?

I do like their addon options:
    + 512 MB ( for a total of 1024 MB )+ £2.57 / month+ 784 MB ( for a total of 1296 MB )+ £3.86 / month+ 1024 MB ( for a total of 1536 MB )+ £6.44 / month
    - V