VPSLand Any Good? Other Xen VPS?

Does anyone have good or bad comments on VPSLand? How about any other Xen host? I've been using unixshell# for a while now and they just aren't cutting it in either the reliability or support departments.

I'm looking for a Xen-based VPS also. I sent two emails to VPSLand asking about their datacenter and a test IP.

No response after two days...

I think I'll look elsewhere.

schmoe can I ask what you mean when you refer to not cutting it in the reliability department? We've had some troubles with networking lately, but it was due to Level 3 / Cogent and out of our control. You may search for threads on our colo provider, GNAX, where the situation is explained is more detail. I can only assume that is what you mean as a quick look at host uptimes shows 78% of all our host servers have uptimes greater than 50 days.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

I've had an excellent experience with VPSLand.com. Been with them about 4 months now and always get great support and the vps is outstanding. Would recommend to anyone!

Thanks,
    Chris

Originally posted by TheWiseOne
    schmoe can I ask what you mean when you refer to not cutting it in the reliability department? We've had some troubles with networking lately, but it was due to Level 3 / Cogent and out of our control. You may search for threads on our colo provider, GNAX, where the situation is explained is more detail. I can only assume that is what you mean as a quick look at host uptimes shows 78% of all our host servers have uptimes greater than 50 days.
    Funny, I can't get them to answer and email.

Where is their datacenter? Do have a test IP I could use?

Thanks

A sales e-mail? Our sales guy is always on top of that, he even will come in on weekends when technically sales is only M-F. I currently see 1 ticket in the unixshell# sales queue and 5 in support so maybe there was a problem getting a response. If you send me a ticket number that would help find the source of the problem. Or are you referring to GNAX? It's not exactly clear what is meant here.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Hi Sabersix,

I know they have Locations in Ohio and Atlanta. I'll email support and see if they have test IPs. I'll post back when I receive them. Looks like the billing center IP traces to atlanta so you can probably use that too (69.61.62.200).

Chris

Originally posted by TheWiseOne
    A sales e-mail? Our sales guy is always on top of that, he even will come in on weekends when technically sales is only M-F. I currently see 1 ticket in the unixshell# sales queue and 5 in support so maybe there was a problem getting a response. If you send me a ticket number that would help find the source of the problem. Or are you referring to GNAX? It's not exactly clear what is meant here.
    Opps...quoted the wrong person. I meant to respond to netproof. Sorry!

BTW - I just received a response to my initial email to VPSLand.

HI Sabersix,

Here's some IP's the responded with...
    69.61.72.2 for ATL and 209.51.211.133 for OH.

Chris

I've been with vpsland a little over 6 hours now and here are my initial thoughts:

*Good:

-Choice of linux distro ( i went with debian as that's what i usually use anyway)

-Fast reply to support emails (asked to get reverse dns setup, was done within a few minutes)

-First month half price!

-Initial setup comes with quite a few things installed, notably:
    -Java 1.5
    -Tomcat
    -Apache (with mod_jk)
    -Mysql (4.0)
    -exim
    -bind

This may or may be a good thing in your opinion, but given I was going to install all these things anyway, it was good for me. Oddly, a lot of common things aren't installed (less, cvs, tcpdump, zip, unzip, host....), but they're hardly a challenge with apt-get anyway.

-webmin comes installed as standard. I think most vps providers do this now, and it's not something I use anyway. Handy for someone who wants to get to grips with a linux server though

*Bad:

-Took over a day to set account up, some other vps providers have instant setup

-The seem to have their own firewall. Quite a few ports are filtered (mysql, irc.....). They do say they don't allow IRC in their T&Cs, so fair enough, and the other ports are things you probably don't want open to the world anyway. I was in the middle of setting up iptables to block these myself before i noticed they were already blocked anyway, so doesn't bother me too much (would have been nice if they said though).

-Their member page website site is a little empty. faq doesn't exist and there isn't much (anything?) to help you get started should you need it. A wiki (like servelocity have) would have been nice.

-Their default sshd seems to disconnect me after 5mins idle time, and I can't for the life of me work out why (sshd_config doesn't have anything to suggest why it's doing it)

btw, I'm on the $19.99/month package, which is 4GBdisk, 128RAM.

I've managed to get apache talking ajp to a jetty instance. On top, i've got imagemagick resizing images (i'm mostly hosting my personal photos) without any performace problems so far.

As I said, only been with them 6 hours, so it's still early days, haven't really tested the performance compared to any other providers (So far it's better than servelocitys 15/month package with really stuggles to run java).

Nice run down.

I went ahead and ordered the same server on Wednesday. Still not set up yet, so I can attest to the slow setup.

I guess I'll try em for a month and see how it goes.

Originally posted by ajk2000
    -Their default sshd seems to disconnect me after 5mins idle time, and I can't for the life of me work out why (sshd_config doesn't have anything to suggest why it's doing it)
    Try adding this to your ~/.ssh/config (in the client side) (create the file it if it does not exist)

Code:
    Host *
        ServerAliveInterval 240
    Regards,

--sb

Originally posted by speedbird
    Try adding this to your ~/.ssh/config (in the client side) (create the file it if it does not exist)

Code:
    Host *
        ServerAliveInterval 240
    Regards,

--sb
    If using putty like me :-) you can click "connections" and set the seconds between keepalives to 240 to stop SSH timouts.

Chris

I've also got a CentOS VPS with VPSLand. I've had it for almost 3 months now and have not had anything but success with my server. It's running mail, web and dns just fine for my company. Support has been responsive as well whenever i have a config question, etc. For the money, i think it's a great service.

Right now, I would choose #unixshell over VPSLand. VPSLand's web site just doesn't "feel" as professional or mature as unixshell#'s. The lack of public forum (at VPSLand) is a major turn-off. And their server hardware is rather vague. CPU is P4 or Xeon? Dual Xeon? Can the customer choose? IDE or SCSI hard drives? No RAID protection? Where is their data center?

I have been with unixshell# for some time now. Although this is my last month with them, I'd recommend it whole heartily. The fact that it has been around for a while (search WHT for unixshell#) and currently maintains a sizable customer base (as evident from their public forum) is proof of their reliability.

For the time being, if you want dependable Xen VPS, unixshell# is it.

Originally posted by Yikes2000
    Right now, I would choose #unixshell over VPSLand. VPSLand's web site just doesn't "feel" as professional or mature as unixshell#'s. The lack of public forum (at VPSLand) is a major turn-off. And their server hardware is rather vague. CPU is P4 or Xeon? Dual Xeon? Can the customer choose? IDE or SCSI hard drives? No RAID protection? Where is their data center?

I have been with unixshell# for some time now. Although this is my last month with them, I'd recommend it whole heartily. The fact that it has been around for a while (search WHT for unixshell#) and currently maintains a sizable customer base (as evident from their public forum) is proof of their reliability.

For the time being, if you want dependable Xen VPS, unixshell# is it.
    I couldn't disagree more. I've actually USED both services (previous unixshell customer) and get much faster (and better quality) support with VPSLand.com, plus their plans give you more RAM for the money. The $19.99 plan with VPSLand feels much more responsive than the $19.99 unixshell plan. I do like the public forum that unixshell offers but for the money I'd rather have the superior support and additional RAM that VPSLand offers.

Chris

What types of "support"?! Unixshell# VPS is UNMANAGED. And VPSLand doesn't even state whether it's managed or unmanaged. Maybe the general public is more gullible, but I judge a company's reliability through *VERIFIABLE* history rather than testimonials from a few newbies. Forgive me for being blunt.

I did a little Google on VPSLand. They used to offer UML VPS exclusively, then began converting to Xen at the beginning of the year, and finally switched over completely in August. Perhaps the company decides to do a little "advertising," which would explain why all WHT threads about VPSLand are started by someone who posted only one message. And positive testimonials about the company come from newbies only. Again, forgive me for being blunt.

Maybe VPSLand will prove in future months that it does offer reliable VPS for lower prices than Unixshell#. Just not now.

Originally posted by Yikes2000
    What types of "support"?! Unixshell# VPS is UNMANAGED. And VPSLand doesn't even state whether it's managed or unmanaged. Maybe the general public is more gullible, but I judge a company's reliability through *VERIFIABLE* history rather than testimonials from a few newbies. Forgive me for being blunt.

I did a little Google on VPSLand. They used to offer UML VPS exclusively, then began converting to Xen at the beginning of the year, and finally switched over completely in August. Perhaps the company decides to do a little "advertising," which would explain why all WHT threads about VPSLand are started by someone who posted only one message. And positive testimonials about the company come from newbies only. Again, forgive me for being blunt.

Maybe VPSLand will prove in future months that it does offer reliable VPS for lower prices than Unixshell#. Just not now.
    Wow! ...not trying to get into a flame war over providers here. I believe that the original post in this thread stated this:

"Does anyone have good or bad comments on VPSLand? How about any other Xen host? I've been using unixshell# for a while now and they just aren't cutting it in either the reliability or support departments."

Based on this user's statements and questions I believe that he's made up his own mind on unixshell and is asking for opinions from users of VPSLand or other Xen hosts. Now forgive ME for being blunt, but since you are obviously not a VPSLand user nor are you offering any reviews of other Xen hosts, your post in this thread seems a bit irrelevant. At least the "newbie" posters (myself included) are offering up real user reviews that this person asked for instead of directing them back to something he/she is dissatisfied with.

- Chris
    WHT Newbie
    Long-Time VPS User

Thanks for the replies! Regarding support and reliability, my unixshell# VPS was down for quite a few hours on several occasions. It also experienced frequent reboots, and of course the recent network issues. At no time did anyone at unixshell# contact me to say the VPS is down, there is a network problem, etc. Tickets were closed without any comment on the root cause or permanent resolution for problems.

I'm not looking to slam unixshell#, they have a pretty good solution at a great price. I just want a provider that is more proactive with outage notifications, and a little better at giving a technical reason for any problems.

On a side note...

What's going on with VPSEasy? I know a few people personally who have been trying to contact them for a Xen-based VPS. No answers to any e-mails. I haven't been able to access there website.

Regarding VPSeasy....they have shoot thru with everybody's money...pity they had great Xen servers

Originally posted by bewshy
    On a side note...

What's going on with VPSEasy? I know a few people personally who have been trying to contact them for a Xen-based VPS. No answers to any e-mails. I haven't been able to access there website.

Xen offers great performance in comparison to other VPS software. However, it is still OpenSource and without commercial support. In its current state, an experienced Unix admin / programmer is absolutely necessary to properly maintain a Xen server. Even then, problems will pop up from time to time that causes downtime and reboots. That's the "behind the scene" aspect of these Xen VPS companies.

You can't escape it with Xen-based VPS. Hopefully the VPS company is running the stable Xen 2.0.7 with the sedf scheduling patch - it is not the bleeding edge of technology (Xen 3.0), but you're close enough to see the edge's shine. For more stability, you will have to go back to Virtuozzo VPS such as LiquidWeb. Too bad those "bigger" VPS companies don't take a stab at Xen. LiquidWeb Xen VPS would make a killer combo.

Still waiting for VPSLand to get back to them re: pre-sales. We've discussed UnixShell but have opted against them for several reasons.

Updated info on presale question

Hey All:

Well I have been searching for a decent VPS for a while to that doesent break the bank. This thread help me out. In any case I got a pretty good reply from then in less than 6 hours. Here's what they said.

These are the questions I asked:

> 1) Do I have full control of my VPS? Meaning can I install the
    developers version of Flash Media Server 2? Some companies say they give you
    full control, then I ask this question and they say no all the sudden
    >
    > 2) How many VPS run on one machince? 10-20 is a BIG difference. Can
    you give a more exact count
    > 3) What is the exact ammount of DEDICATED RAM?
    > 4)Is the ram burstable? (I assume not)
    > 5)Do reboots cost money?
    > 6)Can I have image backups?
    > 7) Ramdom one here but what OS would you recommed for FMS2?

Hello,

1. Yes. You will have complete root access to your server and will be
    able to install/uninstall any programs or services you may require
    (including Flash Media Server 2).

2. We normally run 12 vps servers on a single host. All hosts are now
    run on Dual Xeon Dell Hardware with a Minimum of 3Ghz Xeon Processors
    and at least 3GB RAM.

3. The RAM and Swap space specified for each plan is completely
    dedicated to your specific VPS server. No other server can share or
    borrow your resources.

4. No. All allocated RAM and Swap are dedicated to their respective VPS
    servers.

5. No. You can reboot your VPS server at any time without affecting
    anyone else on the host server.

6. All VPS servers are backed up weekly on Sundays. We will also soon
    have a customer interface that will allow for customer controlled
    backups and restores. In the mean time simply contact support for
    restores or reinstalls (free of charge).

7. The system requirements of FMS2 state that RedHat Enterprise 4 is
    supported so we would suggest using CentOS4 (a free RHEL rebuild).
    Also,
    according to the system requirements, it appears that FMS2 requires 1GB
    or more of RAM so you may get better performance using our VPS Platinum
    Plan with this software ( The Platinum plan gives you 512MB Physical
    RAM
    and 1024MB Swap for a total of 1.5GB available RAM).

Please let us know if we can answer additional or be of further
    assistance.

Thank you,
    Brian
    VPSLAND.com

Quote Originally Posted by phishin4dmb
    Hey All:

Well I have been searching for a decent VPS for a while to that doesent break the bank. This thread help me out. In any case I got a pretty good reply from then in less than 6 hours. Here's what they said.
    Good Luck!
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP

Quote Originally Posted by ajk2000
    -Took over a day to set account up, some other vps providers have instant setup
    I don't think instant setup is ever a good thing. With fraud as high as it is, each order has to be screened before 1) charging the card and trusting it won't charge back, and 2) protecting the network. It's always been my feeling that a network with instant setup is a network that might be more unstable than one with carefully reviewed setups.
    Robert Oliver
    OCS Solutions - Web Hosting and Development
    Ruby Forums - Discuss Ruby and Ruby on Rails!
    Phone: 1-800-672-8415, Skype: ocssolutions