Have you tried the IPB demo?

73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

My co admin was checking it out for an transit group and they decided t o go with Simple Minds until they debate on rather to go the vB path.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

lol - that's shocking. I can honestly say that I wouldn't touch IPS software with a 10 foot barge pole now.

If that's how they treat prospective customers, imagine how they treat people who have already paid.

Do I get to say it this time?

Another reason to go with vB
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Wow they really do say that! It's just their basic attitude though .
    Last edited by rackley; 10-08-2005 at 10:00 AM.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

They absolutely do say that. http://demo.invisionpower.com/9430/i...hp?showtopic=1

I just used their site to set up a demo account; which is the URL I posted.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    They absolutely do say that. http://demo.invisionpower.com/9430/i...hp?showtopic=1

I just used their site to set up a demo account; which is the URL I posted.
    Wow they really do. I edited my post lol What a bad attitude.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Haha, looks like someone was a bit grumpy to make that kind of post.

Well, at least you know where you stand. No empty promises for support, no smoke and mirrors.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

heh . . this is funny http://demo.invisionpower.com/9430/i...hp?showforum=2

"Welcome" followed by "Go Away"

I'm amazed IPS have any customers at all. Has anyone asked IPS about the demo post?

Another reason that I'm so glad I converted all my IBF forums to SMF.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Has anyone asked IPS about the demo post?
    the post was made by user IPB team, what would you ask? "Did you really post that or did someone hack your IPB" lmao
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

No, I'm wondering why they thought it was a good idea to make that post a default post in the demo

Oh well, it's been removed from the demo now. Looks like they've expired all existing demos as well to remove all trace of it. The demo links posted above are now all expired.

Better save it before IPS decides to force Imageshack to remove it under the pretense it's slander.

This isn't surprising. Isn't the IPB team known for being a bit nasty?

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    My co admin was checking it out for an transit group and they decided t o go with Simple Minds until they debate on rather to go the vB path.
    Did you mean Simple Machines?

I'm using SMF now and I think it's a great forum. I really like the package manager; it makes it so easy to add mods/packages with a single click.

pretty shocking message!
    i do use IPB 1.3 for my hobby forum i run and like it but WOW that puts a different view on things for sure

I've used IPB since 2003 and been a customer since 2004. I've never had any problems with the support staff. The software is great.

I really don't understand all this hate for Invision Power Services. Who actually has a reason to hate them here?

Influx: Read the first message in this thread - that gives me more than enough reason to dislike their company and not use their products.

Why would I use a product when I know the staff behind it to be rude?

I suppose you're right. Of course I have no idea why they'd put something like that there. If I was in your situation that would probably put me off too. It's such a shame because IPB really does stand tall above other bulletin boards.

Originally posted by Influx
    . . . IPB really does stand tall above other bulletin boards.
    Have you used vBulletin.

I've used IPB and can't see how it's near the class of vB.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Have you used vBulletin.

I've used IPB and can't see how it's near the class of vB.
    I have. vBulletin does not have features like Multi-quote, RSS import/export, multi-moderation, etc.. The admin CP is much less organised - a real PITA to use. There are many reasons for my opinion.

BTW, http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...post&p=1297220

Seems it wasn't IPS.

So does that mean someone managed to gain enough access to one of their servers to be able to add that post to the default?

I wonder what other servers this person got into...

Okay, but if someone accessed the master template and added that in, then that leads me to believe there is some massive security problems with IPB 2.1.1....

Originally posted by Influx
    . . . Seems it wasn't IPS.
    I actually got that feeling after I created a demo account. So, I emailed them and asked.

They haven't emailed back yet. But, they seemed to address it.

My thoughts exactly Josh. I've asked the question in Charles thread, waiting on the reply now

Quote from Charles / IPS:
    ...nothing was hacked. Someone just gained access to the template due to a minor glitch that did not remove the path to the template board when it was duplicated so someone just sort of backtracked.

If someone OTHER than IPS staff accessed the template and added that in, how is that not a hacking incident?

Originally posted by Dave B
    "Did you really post that or did someone hack your IPB" lmao

This is too funny, would he not have been better just saying "I am an ****ole"
    Starts November 5th!

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    If someone OTHER than IPS staff accessed the template and added that in, how is that not a hacking incident?
    because the default board used to make the demo could have admin and password as the main user also, I would suppose they were banking on no one finding it.

Seems to me some of you are looking at anything to slag these people off with, If you dont like them dont use them simple enough but by the looks of things there are plenty of people who disagree with you.

Seems to me some of you are looking at anything to slag these people off with
    An opinion you are entitled to. To others, myself included, it seems this guy looks for ways to make himself look bad.
    Starts November 5th!

I noticed that a long time ago. They are just trying to backpedal now. Sadly, it's indicative of their attitude in general. Why do you think people believe it so readily? Seems IPS is constantly in damage control mode lately. It's no secret and it's not a cooincidence. They just treat people badly over there. That's why they will never get another dime from me.

They lost my support when they did away with the customer forums, and customer user group on their forums. I'm gonna continue using their software, but I did recently purchase a copy of vB for a forum i'm starting, which i was considering purchasing an IPB license for.

I'm pretty happy with vB. Their customer service is waaaaay better than IPS', and their software allows for some really advanced configuration settings, many of which the IPB people couldn't even think of.

Each to their own. I don't see why you get so uppity about it - just don't use it, plain and simple.

I like IPB, have found the service pretty good and don't have anything to complain about. I respect vB but don't particularly like using it myself - but I don't go on and on and on about it.